1 hour ago, Paskud said:

ย 

Could you read them all? Are there notable differences?

On 7/28/2020 at 11:44 PM, river said:

The deadline for making a decision to cancel or to go ahead with Skate America is Friday, if the ISU holds to their 12 week rule.

ย 

I can't imagine how it could possibly go forward with the US (and Nevada in particular) being in the shape it's in (link to epidemiologic statistics for Nevada), but we should start seeing some decisions regarding the GP series in the next few weeks.

ย 

The US have over 68000 new cases yesterday, and 1465 deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

ย 

They cannot seriously think that it will be under control and the borders opened by Skate America. I love and desperately miss seeing Yuzuru and many others, but I do NOT WANT them to go into that sort of risk.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

On that note, SCI just opened their call for volunteers and I submitted my application. Who knows if it'll take place but at least I have my dog in the race, so to speak...

ย 

Interesting that they opened their call for volunteers - by the 12-week rule Skate Canada has a week to make a decision about SCI. That makes me think they're going to try to hold it in some form or fashion.

ย 

Also, the ISU's deadline for cancelling Skate America is tomorrow. They can't seriously consider holding it this year, right?

1 hour ago, river said:

ย 

Interesting that they opened their call for volunteers - by the 12-week rule Skate Canada has a week to make a decision about SCI. That makes me think they're going to try to hold it in some form or fashion.

ย 

Also, the ISU's deadline for cancelling Skate America is tomorrow. They can't seriously consider holding it this year, right?

Possibly. It's also entirely possible they put their whole 'Volunteers' page on autopilot months ago and this is just coming up automatically...either way, I'll soon find out.ย 

ย 

As for Skate America, I can't see how they expect to hold it. My understanding is that Las Vegas has been hit by COVID pretty badly....unless they move it to somewhere less infected? Alaska, maybe?ย 

ย 

ย 

The Disciplinary Commission (DC) of ISU has posted the final decision in the complaint of ISU vs Michela Cesaro (Italy) regarding the violation of the duties of the judges and the Code of Ethics. In short,ย Cesaro judged at Junior Worlds 2020 in the Ice Dance RD event andย while the ISU admitted in the decision thatย the judge overscored the Italian couple and underscored the French one in the event,ย the complaint was dimissed nonetheless - they explained that there was 'hidden preference' of the Italian couple, howeverย it remains only at the level of suspicionย without evidence of intentional national bias. So since there is no direct proof of bias, malice or bad faith, ISU can't do anything.

ย 

The funny thing is that one of the complainant in this case was the Ice Dance Technical Committee, and itsย two membersย workedย at the Ice Dance RD event at Junior Worlds, the Refereeย was Hilary Selby (Great Britain) and the Controller was Shawn Rettstatt (USA). ISU said that since both the Referee and the OAC (Officials Assessment Commission) evaluated the marks of the judge, but have not challenged them the ISU DC panel has no evidence of national bias.

ย 

The decision:ย https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/24798-case-2020-02-isu-vs-cesaro-final-decision-for-publication-01-08-2020/file?fbclid=IwAR1GISS39ZP68gUlRBqfKSIQJVUPBmwnvAcGu2-FtTzZSubKbHOJAL4EOFs

ย 

Panel of Judges at Ice Dance RD:ย http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1920/wjc2020/SEG007OF.htm

ย 

I think such decisions are based too much on politics, and this is the reasonย I am skeptical about any complaints. If ISU wants to ban someone, they will do it, however if there was enough evidence against someoneย who they don't want to ban, then I am afraid they won't do that. I alsoย question why there was such a complaint against this particular judgingย while there could be so many other cases as well.

I dunno if it's better than nothing or not. Will wait for full statement. Skaters from strong feds might have local comps and skaters from small feds will not be able to organize virtual events for 1-2 skaters anyway.

Are judges supposed to evaluate from one single camera (as in, skaters will barely be visible when further away)? Or are skaters expected to set up multiple cameras in the rink (so easy and reasonable for everyone, especially skaters with less resources, right?ย :dry:)

ย 

I get wanting to organize *anything* this year, be it different from usual, but I don't trust the ISU to think of even the most obvious logistic implications. Doing it for fun is one thing, but if there is aย prize money or if it counts for rankings in any way.... Let's see but I don't have much hope.