33 минуты назад, FlyingCamel сказал:

I really can’t fathom Beijing being cancelled, it would be devastating for the athletes who worked all their lives to become Olympians. Especially for the ladies figure skaters, things are moving so quickly.

Don't forget Sui/Han, they for sure are not getting healthier

58 минут назад, LadyLou сказал:

wouldn't it be possible to "just" shift the whole olympic calendar, so Beijing and Tokyo still get their slot, only postponed further,

Not sure if Tokyo will be willing to postpone more or will just cancel.

22 minutes ago, Lunna said:

Not sure if Tokyo will be willing to postpone more or will just cancel.

I remember they said they'd cancel if they couldn't hold them as planned within summer 2021, but I don't remember if it was Japan requesting this or if it was IOC.

Honestly, I have no idea about how all the behind-the-scenes and investment stuff would work in this kind of events. To me it looks counterintuitive that Japan would prefer to just give up on the Games rather than postponing further, but I could be wrong.

16 минут назад, LadyLou сказал:

I remember they said they'd cancel if they couldn't hold them as planned within summer 2021, but I don't remember if it was Japan requesting this or if it was IOC.

I think it's Japan but not sure. This can be cuz they already had to sell part of the Oly's village apartments this year, rebuild some stadiums, so they can't prolong any longer, especially with financial crisis everywhere and sponsors might drop out too. Though it's just my guess. This will be very sad for a lot of athletes who get recognition worldwide once in 4 years.

I hardly can imagine boarders being close for a such a long time, it will hit not only sports, but also tourist industry, flight industry (of course for some countries it's more important, for some less). And with open boarders  the event can be held without viewers maybe. Though hard to predict anything nowadays.

6 hours ago, Lunna said:

I think it's Japan but not sure. This can be cuz they already had to sell part of the Oly's village apartments this year, rebuild some stadiums, so they can't prolong any longer, especially with financial crisis everywhere and sponsors might drop out too. Though it's just my guess. This will be very sad for a lot of athletes who get recognition worldwide once in 4 years.

I hardly can imagine boarders being close for a such a long time, it will hit not only sports, but also tourist industry, flight industry (of course for some countries it's more important, for some less). And with open boarders  the event can be held without viewers maybe. Though hard to predict anything nowadays.

I hadn't even thought about what would happen to the Oly village after the games :13877886::13877886: Well, then it's understandable, they'll try to save what can be saved.

It will still suck for all the athletes, so truly crossing fingers that it won't come to that:fingerscrossed:

1 час назад, LadyLou сказал:

I hadn't even thought about what would happent to the Oly village after the games :13877886::13877886: Well, then it's understandable, they'll try to save what can be saved.

Yeah, I think I've read that Oly village will be sold as apartments and about 1/4 was already sold and should be used after Games, one of the pools should become an ice rink, if I'm not wrong, so who knows how long they can hold off all the infrastructure.

The virtual concept has not yet been discussed for any other specific events, including the qualifying season (for the 2021 U.S. Championships).

(...)

To the question of whether the ISU is looking at a virtual format as a possibility for some events this season, ISU vice-president Alexander Lakernik said in an email: “No… At least at the moment.”

Added Fabio Bianchetti of Italy, chair of the ISU singles and pairs technical committee: “I didn’t know about the idea of having it (the Peggy Fleming Trophy) online this year, and I think it is a wonderful possibility to do it in this way in such a difficult moment. As to the possibility of using this format for other events this season, I have no answer. The matter has never been discussed so far.”

(...)

Such “virtually live” competitions would eventually depend on the ability of the ISU or USFS to ensure a high-quality, very reliable stream created with professional video equipment by a professional camera operator at the many rinks where skaters would perform. Given the money saved if there are no live Grand Prix or Junior Grand Prix events, arranging for such equipment might be money well spent to preserve some of the season.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/07/16/virtual-figure-skating-competition-peggy-fleming-trophy/

For once I'm happy that ISU has an allergy to any technology.

So Ontario has released Stage 3 re-opening rules and what it means for sports events is pretty straightforward - any indoors event is limited to 50people or less, anything outdoors to 100 people or less,  and all must be socially distanced by 2m at all times. The rules state that any spectators must be limited to less than 50 for any indoor event. 

So unless things change between now and September, it looks like there won't be any ticket sales for ACI. They might just about be able to hold a competition if they manage who is in the rink at any one time carefully. That's providing Oakville gets to Stage 3 - not sure it is there yet. 

And after reading about the Peggy Fleming thing - nuh-uh. That's not it. Competitors being allowed to re-take their shots? sorta defeats the whole purpose. The only way to get fair competition online would be with high quality live video and multiple cameras. 

The Peggy Fleming competition does not impact skaters' points or standings, so they can go with the 'send us video' thing. For any official competition, the amount of checks and resrictions and technical overseeing and equivalences involved, in every country that has eligible skaters....  nuh-uh.

7 minutes ago, TallyT said:

The Peggy Fleming competition does not impact skaters' points or standings, so they can go with the 'send us video' thing. For any official competition, the amount of checks and resrictions and technical overseeing and equivalences involved, in every country that has eligible skaters....  nuh-uh.

Speaking of this, does anyone know how we can watch it? Will it be broadcasted and recorded etc? Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

Speaking of this, does anyone know how we can watch it? Will it be broadcasted and recorded etc? Thanks in advance!

Information about how to watch the Peggy Fleming competition is here:

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/2020/7/13/third-annual-peggy-fleming-trophy-virtual-competition.aspx

I'll be working at that time, so can't watch it live, but it looks like a video will be available for later viewing.

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

So Ontario has released Stage 3 re-opening rules and what it means for sports events is pretty straightforward - any indoors event is limited to 50people or less, anything outdoors to 100 people or less,  and all must be socially distanced by 2m at all times. The rules state that any spectators must be limited to less than 50 for any indoor event. 

So unless things change between now and September, it looks like there won't be any ticket sales for ACI. They might just about be able to hold a competition if they manage who is in the rink at any one time carefully. That's providing Oakville gets to Stage 3 - not sure it is there yet. 

And after reading about the Peggy Fleming thing - nuh-uh. That's not it. Competitors being allowed to re-take their shots? sorta defeats the whole purpose. The only way to get fair competition online would be with high quality live video and multiple cameras. 

I would be rather ready to pay for "virtual attendance"!

19 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

🤡

:59227c768286a__s:

:smiley-sad058:

:tumblr_inline_n2pjd9Lx401qdlkyg:

(from where did they take those millions "impressions" tho? Did they count all the enraged comments or something?:tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid:)

Not that they would have ever admitted any possible flaw anyway, not after Ari had already been busy rewriting history before they even took place. Of course the "response" would have been AweSoMe anyway.

Still, I'm pissed that the  stupid thing got more views than ISU broadcasts of comps and galas. They played their trump card spectacularly well.

I like to think that if people hadn't been literally starved for any kind of content and there had been some other sport to follow, numbers would have been different. Sadly, the merry ISU&Ari company just got ammunition for the next farce.