2 minutes ago, Paskud said:

What makes me worried is that... let's assume that GP somehow will happen - in different countires that it was announced until today. It's so late. GPH was announced mid June, barely made it in time and skaters had to skate on cr*p ice anyway.:/

And in the epidemic context, it adds complexities : how to manage to hold everybody safe.

4 minutes ago, Paskud said:

What makes me worried is that... let's assume that GP somehow will happen - in different countires that it was announced until today. It's so late. GPH was announced mid June, barely made it in time and skaters had to skate on cr*p ice anyway.:/

No assignments either. In some countries skaters have only just got out on ice - so how do they get back into a competitive shape? 
Courage to face the challenges and the reality is what this organisation lacks. It was obvious back in March, it’s obvious now. Holding competitions now presents more trouble than benefit for all people involved, but there you are... 

Just concentrate on domestic competitions for now, hold those taking the situation in the country, but don’t just make plans for anything which is not safe. 
a bloody shambles yet again. 

1 minute ago, Fay said:

No assignments either. In some countries skaters have only just got out on ice - so how do they get back into a competitive shape? 
Courage to face the challenges and the reality is what this organisation lacks. It was obvious back in March, it’s obvious now. Holding competitions now presents more trouble than benefit for all people involved, but there you are... 

Just concentrate on domestic competitions for now, hold those taking the situation in the country, but don’t just make plans for anything which is not safe. 
a bloody shambles yet again. 

I know, but let's be real. If there is any possibility to do GP, gain $$ from it and keep their "preparations" before Olympics - they will do it.

At least this time it's not in ISU hands if countries are closing their borders or not.

Probably SkAm will be next.

1 minute ago, Paskud said:

I know, but let's be real. If there is any possibility to do GP, gain $$ from it and keep their "preparations" before Olympics - they will do it.

At least this time it's not in ISU hands if countries are closing their borders or not.

Probably SkAm will be next.

Given the stance of the American government? They congratulate themselves they are doing great, while leading in all numbers. Right now they are ready to hold any competitions with any numbers. 
That said, Bestemyanova let it out that SkAm is not very likely to take place since they haven’t yet drawn up the contract. What contract is meant and how come Besty knows it is anyone’s guess. 
I’d actually put my bet on Skate Canada being next - these are super cautious now. Where was it scheduled to take place? 

Just now, Fay said:

Given the stance of the American government? They congratulate themselves they are doing great, while leading in all numbers. Right now they are ready to hold any competitions with any numbers. 
That said, Bestemyanova let it out that SkAm is not very likely to take place since they haven’t yet drawn up the contract. What contract is meant and how come Besty knows it is anyone’s guess. 
I’d actually put my bet on Skate Canada being next - these are super cautious now. Where was it scheduled to take place? 

I read Kelowna had renewed its contract for another couple years?
Anyway I am not under the impression it will be held, for two reasons :

1) Skate Canada had some time to copy 4CC organisation and hold safe Worlds and they couldn't; I wonder if they have learnt from this experience;

2) Canada seem super cautious on opening borders, and no country have tried yet opening borders only for people with no symptoms AND good predictive biological markers, so I don't know if they will have opened their borders in October.

And I am not speaking of attendance (sorry for satellites who would dream of seeing Yuzuru Hanyu live), just the skaters and their coaches, because attendance can very well be local and limited.

17 minutes ago, Fay said:

iirc right after SkAm

So no CoC but yes to GPF?

Will ISU change rules so GP series goes on with one less stop or try to replace it? They still haven't announced a replacement for jpn JGP, right? (I don't think many places right now would jump at the perspective of suddenly hosting an interational event, especially when audience attendance is a big question mark)

Well, I suppose that olympic test event could still have a different format than the "usual" gpf...

Standing current situation, ISU should just refuse to let USA host an international event like SA, even if USA government said: yay welcome!!! (and I'd guess that, if skaters training outside USA had a choice, they'd pick any other hosting nation other than USA)

Then again, I don't expect ISU people using their one shared neuron to protect something as "trivial" as their skaters's health.

I feel that Canada will be very cautious about allowing foreigner skaters in (let alone int fans). Idk what to expect about NHK, on one side Japan has chosen to cancel JGP, on the other NHK has bigger economic interests.

My guts says that IdF and RC at the moment sound as the most likely to go on as planned(kinda), though maybe with restrictions for audience.

I can see a GP series where intercontinental travel is limited e.g. skaters based in Europe get invited to European GPs only and so on...but then there would be the issue of skaters whose coaches actually are abroad (and who might have joined them abroad by the time of GP) and that e.g. two GP can't possibly fit all the Russian skaters. Furthermore, fields would be severly unbalanced.

Even if skaters, coaches, judges got special exception to enter a country without needing quarantining, they'd probably be required to get tested both before leaving and after landing, and who should pay for those tests? ISU? Skaters' feds? There should be arrangements in place within the hosting nation for some lab to give priority to analysing those tests too.

While doable in theory (big football clubs are already getting their players routinely screened), idk if ISU has both clout and money to arrange something like that.

(re: judges, I also wonder if ISU is considering amendments to their policy of having judges all from different nations and continets. Pretty sure USA and Rus have more than enough judges to fill not one but several panels. Even if that would mean even more biased panels, I'm inclined ot think that ISU would prefer to find a way to justify such a choice rather than entirely kissing goodbye to a comp, e.g. SA)

1 hour ago, Fay said:

Not when, where... in Ottawa, I had a look. How do things stand there? 

Pardon moi.

I found this.

Arenas

All existing arena bookings from July 1 to August 31 have been cancelled. However, businesses and organizations may rebook ice time at select arenas for training amateur or professional hockey and figure skating athletes, or to run amateur or professional athletic competitions, in groups of 10 or less – adhering to Provincial gathering restrictions.

The following organizations may rebook ice time:

• A national sport organization funded by Sport Canada or a member club of such an organization.
  • A provincial sport or multi-sport organization recognized by the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture or a member club of such an organization.
  • A professional sport league or a member club of such a league.
  • A business or organization using the ice time to train amateur or professional athletes or to run amateur or professional athletic competitions.

Due to demand, the City will reopen some ice pads in July. The City has issued an invitation to all current permit holders to reapply for available July ice time. Only organizations that meet the requirements will be considered. Bookings will only be accepted by phone and email.

Teams must have:

• Valid insurance
  • An attendance roster
  • Permission from a governing body

COVID-related safety measures at arenas

The City has implemented the following COVID-safety procedures to support physical distancing and help reduce the spread of COVID-19:

• Skaters and coaches cannot arrive more than 15 minutes before scheduled time
  • Skaters must be in their on-ice clothing and carrying their skates
  • Checking in and registering of all coaches and skaters
  • Designated entry and exit doors into and out of the arena, as well as on and off the ice
  • Directional arrows and physical distancing decals and markers
  • A designated area to change skates and footwear while maintaining physical distancing
  • Personal belongings must be taken to a designated area on the ice surface
  • Physical distancing must be maintained on the ice surface
  • No congregating permitted outside the arena or in the parking lot area

A maximum of 10 skaters, including coaches, are permitted to use the ice surface per rented hour.

https://ottawa.ca/en/news/latest-information-indoor-facility-sports-fields-and-arena-rentals

Well, those are the rules so far, but I would be very much diverted to see the skaters wearing their ice costumes just 15 minutes their scheduled time. Gosh, that’s going to guarantee an unwatchable event! 

1 hour ago, Fay said:

Where was it scheduled to take place? 

Ottawa. My city. Which is actually doing quite well, pandemic-wise.* I just don't know if we'll be letting international travellers in by then. And the arena where SCI is being held is not the best, in terms of seating. The seats are crammed together. If SCI goes ahead, right now my bet is it'll be at half capacity or less. 

Anyway, China really had no option, what with the new outbreak in Beijing that started a couple weeks ago. 

So much for CoC. 

Lord knows what kind of a season we're going to have. 

*Numbers of new infections have been trending down for weeks, to the point where public health authorities are letting people visit their loved ones in old-age homes again - provided they can prove they test negative for COVID-19. Suddenly everyone's getting tested like mad...we will probably find a few more cases but nothing serious. And masks have just been made mandatory indoors, so hopefully things will go well from here on out. 

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:

So no CoC but yes to GPF?

Will ISU change rules so GP series goes on with one less stop or try to replace it? They still haven't announced a replacement for jpn JGP, right? (I don't think many places right now would jump at the perspective of suddenly hosting an interational event, especially when audience attendance is a big question mark)

Well, I suppose that olympic test event could still have a different format than the "usual" gpf...

Standing current situation, ISU should just refuse to let USA host an international event like SA, even if USA government said: yay welcome!!! (and I'd guess that, if skaters training outside USA had a choice, they'd pick any other hosting nation other than USA)

Then again, I don't expect ISU people using their one shared neuron to protect something as "trivial" as their skaters's health.

I feel that Canada will be very cautious about allowing foreigner skaters in (let alone int fans). Idk what to expect about NHK, on one side Japan has chosen to cancel JGP, on the other NHK has bigger economic interests.

My guts says that IdF and RC at the moment sound as the most likely to go on as planned(kinda), though maybe with restrictions for audience.

I can see a GP series where intercontinental travel is limited e.g. skaters based in Europe get invited to European GPs only and so on...but then there would be the issue of skaters whose coaches actually are abroad (and who might have joined them abroad by the time of GP) and that e.g. two GP can't possibly fit all the Russian skaters. Furthermore, fields would be severly unbalanced.

Even if skaters, coaches, judges got special exception to enter a country without needing quarantining, they'd probably be required to get tested both before leaving and after landing, and who should pay for those tests? ISU? Skaters' feds? There should be arrangements in place within the hosting nation for some lab to give priority to analysing those tests too.

While doable in theory (big football clubs are already getting their players routinely screened), idk if ISU has both clout and money to arrange something like that.

(re: judges, I also wonder if ISU is considering amendments to their policy of having judges all from different nations and continets. Pretty sure USA and Rus have more than enough judges to fill not one but several panels. Even if that would mean even more biased panels, I'm inclined ot think that ISU would prefer to find a way to justify such a choice rather than entirely kissing goodbye to a comp, e.g. SA)

I would be OK for a reduced number of GP trophies this year, rebranding CS as GP, with (a few) more finalists to balance the lack of previous competitions.

Skate America is scheduled in Las Vegas, Nevada, which had done quite well until a recent outbreak but not really big to this date, do somebody know why this outbreak is happening, and how it is addressed? At least they are testing enough, considering the number of cases.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/nevada/

But how to get there? Customs and immigration in big American airports have an awful reputation of treating people like cattle, are they taking efficient measures to prevent contamination during transit? Though there are direct flights from several Canadian cities (among which Toronto of course), from London and Frankfurt, or from Seoul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarran_International_Airport#Passenger

Lakernik persists that the GPF is a test event, so it should take place and there CoC hasn’t yet been put into conversation either. Be calm and carry on with the GP. 

Lol, maybe they'll make Chinese Nationals in Beijing and act as the test event instead, if no international events make sense. That means no one (except the Chinese National Champion...Boyang??! :crybaby:)  will suffer the Olympic test event curse (the winners of the last 3 test events were off the podium at the ensuing Olympics). Although that's a curse with a short history (Plushenko won Europeans and then the Olympics after in the Palavela) so who knows ;)

14 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Lol, maybe they'll make Chinese Nationals in Beijing and act as the test event instead, if no international events make sense. That means no one (except the Chinese National Champion...Boyang??! :crybaby:)  will suffer the Olympic test event curse (the winners of the last 3 test events were off the podium at the ensuing Olympics). Although that's a curse with a short history (Plushenko won Europeans and then the Olympics after in the Palavela) so who knows ;)

By regulations, the test event has to be international. :)