1 час назад, Katt сказал:

Haha, when I saw him did that perfect 4lo, I felt he would mess up later :laughing: I'm like " why dont you save it for the actual comp ?". I think his 4lo went off abit at COR, similar to last year's SC but it will comeback at NHK. The 4lz landing may effect too. I remember he said its take alot of energy to save/correct the jump. 

I already made peace with the fact that Yuzu can jump perfect in warm-up and mess up later in the comp :laughing: I think during comp it's harder to jump in terms of concentration and timing than a stand alone jump :smile: also he messed with 4Lo quite a lot during OPs and RTs so it's not like it was a surprise (4S though...:dry:)

Not sure where else to put this, because team Japan is more skater focused and less program focused. 

I was thinking the other day the confusing aspect about Shoma is how much I like him for what he brings, yet unlike the other skaters, I can't pin a music style on him. Normally, once I like a skater, I will start correlating certain music pieces with them-like Taiko drumming and Boyang is now, and Chopin and Yuzu etc.One day I wish Shoma would explore music on his own, it seems that he just lets his team decide on stuff and he just does his job, right?  So figuring out what music suits him is getting hard for me. I don't think Turandot is his thing, no matter how intense he is, and most warhorses don't really work for him.

Then I thought about Loco, and wondered, would Shoma have done better going Tango de Roxanne route? 

Btw, I've figured out my beef with Turandot 2.0 so far: the drama of the choreography is music driven, his movement on ice does not seem to be contributing much of anything, no highs and no lows, even the cantilever is not held out long enough to be considered a highlight. It's not an issue of musicality even, it's just a flat program choreographically. 

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Btw, I've figured out my beef with Turandot 2.0 so far: the drama of the choreography is music driven, his movement on ice does not seem to be contributing much of anything, no highs and no lows, even the cantilever is not held out long enough to be considered a highlight. It's not an issue of musicality even, it's just a flat program choreographically. 

I completely agree. With Classical music, it's harder than one imagines to create good coreography. Because the music goes off on his own, so if your body movements and your mood/interpretation doesn't perfectly compliment the music and enrich it, it's gonna feel like it's kinda useless. And 'useless' is what I feel towards Shoma's LP this season. 

Especially the moment when he stops and goes 'Nessun Dorma' with his arms, lol, it should be a powerful moment but it's pretty meaningless to me (to Shoma) still. 

52 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I completely agree. With Classical music, it's harder than one imagines to create good coreography. Because the music goes off on his own, so if your body movements and your mood/interpretation doesn't perfectly compliment the music and enrich it, it's gonna feel like it's kinda useless. And 'useless' is what I feel towards Shoma's LP this season. 

Especially the moment when he stops and goes 'Nessun Dorma' with his arms, lol, it should be a powerful moment but it's pretty meaningless to me (to Shoma) still. 

Well, that's why in the end, I tossed a couple music around in my brain, and the ones that made me go "this would work for him, maybe" included Tango de Roxanne, and surprisingly, a number of broadway musicals. I think those are dramatic enough, and the intensity would match him perhaps better than classical music warhorses. I was thinking now, also that POTO might work for him, while Chicago I might prefer to give to Javi. 

That Nessun Dorma moment would be nice for a spiral sequence or an ina bauer. Which no one this season is really doing. T_T

1 minute ago, Danibellerika said:

"Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu said the healthy rivalry he has with reigning world champion Javier Fernandez pushes him to reach new highs, and he believes he will display that elevated performance in Pyeongchang in February."

Fact check, people. Fact check!

I guess 2 time WC just didn't sound exciting enough :facepalm:

22 hours ago, Lunna said:

I'm only talking about my own impression, but it's hard to compare jumps when they're not in the same competition, hope to see both at GPF already :smile:

Boyang has his special head position in the air which might change impression. Oh and his almost hitting board position lol 

6 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

"Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu said the healthy rivalry he has with reigning world champion Javier Fernandez pushes him to reach new highs, and he believes he will display that elevated performance in Pyeongchang in February."

Fact check, people. Fact check!

And it’s from a Japanese media. Now I don’t feel like hating on Western media much more. 

2 hours ago, meoima said:

And it’s from a Japanese media. Now I don’t feel like hating on Western media much more. 

Just do what I do and hate on all media :waffle:

Lol but for real any media's basically just forever in it for themselves. I truely do detest how almost all media twists and misrepresents facts to create drama and clickbaits. It's horrible journalism. It's to the point where a good article is a pleasant surprise and the crap ones are the norm. Sad really. :shrug:

12 hours ago, Xen said:

Then I thought about Loco, and wondered, would Shoma have done better going Tango de Roxanne route? 

I have a love-hate relationship with Loco. The wailing woman got kinda much with rewatch, but it was unique and special. I was surprised he went the generic route this year, even though I understand why.

On 29.10.2017 at 11:15 PM, yuzupon said:

I am sure someone can explain the exact physics law governing this thing, but it is simultaneously cringeworthy and such an eye-roll moment for the current situation. Commentators not knowing this, I can maaaaaybe forgive. ISU judge? No. Figure skating - and how ISU is botching it - is this close to losing me as a fan.

ETA: personally I don't like it when skaters overuse tano/rippon - but that's a personal preference, which does not take away the fact that doing tano/rippon does make the jumps more difficult and deserve the 'varied air position' bullet ticked for it.

Maybe he isn’t an active judge any more and that’s why doing commentary. I don’t know.

That got me into wondering what other ways are there for the skater to be in a ”varied position in the air”? Can anyone give examples.

1 hour ago, Summer said:

That got me into wondering what other ways are there for the skater to be in a ”varied position in the air”? Can anyone give examples.

asfaik there are the so-called "helicopter arms" where the skater keeps his arms spread horizontally while doing the jump, instead of pulling them close to his chest. I remeber also someone that put the hands on his waist, but it was old footage, I don't know if there are more variations and I don't know if any skater currently does variations different from tano or rippon in competition.

Yuzuru did the helicopter a few times during practices iirc, but I think it was only when he marked the jumps/made doubles? I'm sure @kaeryth will be way more useful than me and provides us some footage :laughing::bow:(taking advantage of one fellow satellite, I'm so sorry:81:)

I think tano and rippon may be relatively "easier" arm variations. For example, I don't think at the moment is humanly possible to keep your arms horizontally when jumping a quad, too much air resistence so the rotation would be too slow, plus harder to keep the axis. Even if you look at the footage of the 4Lz rippon https://twitter.com/corszk1220/status/924315129683963909/video/1 posted a few pages ago, it's a pretty tight (ugly) one (arms very close to the body axis) to minimize air resistance.

22 часа назад, Xen сказал:

Not sure where else to put this, because team Japan is more skater focused and less program focused. 

I was thinking the other day the confusing aspect about Shoma is how much I like him for what he brings, yet unlike the other skaters, I can't pin a music style on him. Normally, once I like a skater, I will start correlating certain music pieces with them-like Taiko drumming and Boyang is now, and Chopin and Yuzu etc.One day I wish Shoma would explore music on his own, it seems that he just lets his team decide on stuff and he just does his job, right?  So figuring out what music suits him is getting hard for me. I don't think Turandot is his thing, no matter how intense he is, and most warhorses don't really work for him.

I feel like classics suits Shoma and he feels the music, the choreo not being interesting mostly is a problem. I liked his 2015-16 SP but he himself struggled with it, Loco I liked a lot it had good arm movements + good highlights. But it will be interesting to know to what kind of music he would like to skate himself :smile: