Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

@LeadenMyr it was truly an absurd dream :xD: , I still prefer that to dreamless sleeps though 😂😅 (also yes, the bike race helps me channel my anger 😂😂)

@Whee1000 I am not sure why either, maybe that and pent-up emotions 😅😅, but anyway this night I finally went to the christmas market and ate dinner there :68468287:, I had lamb sandwich and gestreken mastellen (bagel-like bread roll sandwich filled with brown sugar and butter, ironed before served, so it is eaten warm :68468287:). Needless to say that I am happier now :68468287::68468287:

@LeadenMyr, sorry that I missed another question in your post,  and thank you, @Whee1000, for an explanation for traditional osechi.

While I was trying to find a way to explain the tradition of osechi, I found a few web articles about osechi in English so let me share them instead of my explanation :biggrin:

Wiki provides a brief explanation of the history of osechi. (I didn't know there was a wiki page for osechi...)
And this page illustrates traditional foods in osechi with many beautiful pictures!
Osechi Ryori おせち料理 (Japanese New Year Food)
https://www.justonecookbook.com/osechi-ryori-japanese-new-year-food/

As Nami san explains in this page, ozoni has some variations, and I guess other foods also have many variations. For example, in my home region (north Japan), we use dried persimmon for namasu instead of carrot. Kaki (persimmon's Japanese name) goes really well with daikon and vinegar.

As to the reason to eat black beans, my mother always says "Eating mame would make you mame." The first mame means beans, and the second mame is another Japanese word means diligent, useful, healthy, and strong, all the qualities desirable for a worker. She also says that we eat lotus root because that would give us a better perspective for the future as lotus roots have holes. I don't know whether it is widely believed or a way of educating a child succeeded in her family, haha.

All the talk about Christmas sweets make me feel nostalgic. When I was a kid, I often helped adults baking cakes for Chrismas at home, kindergarten, etc. I wish I remembered the recipes because some of the cakes were really delicious...

@Xen, I'm looking forward to hearing about Chinese New Year, because it looks so fun and interesting! (I love the lion :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:)

13 hours ago, sweetwater said:

@LeadenMyr, sorry that I missed another question in your post,  and thank you, @Whee1000, for an explanation for traditional osechi.

While I was trying to find a way to explain the tradition of osechi, I found a few web articles about osechi in English so let me share them instead of my explanation :biggrin:

Wiki provides a brief explanation of the history of osechi. (I didn't know there was a wiki page for osechi...)
And this page illustrates traditional foods in osechi with many beautiful pictures!
Osechi Ryori おせち料理 (Japanese New Year Food)
https://www.justonecookbook.com/osechi-ryori-japanese-new-year-food/

As Nami san explains in this page, ozoni has some variations, and I guess other foods also have many variations. For example, in my home region (north Japan), we use dried persimmon for namasu instead of carrot. Kaki (persimmon's Japanese name) goes really well with daikon and vinegar.

As to the reason to eat black beans, my mother always says "Eating mame would make you mame." The first mame means beans, and the second mame is another Japanese word means diligent, useful, healthy, and strong, all the qualities desirable for a worker. She also says that we eat lotus root because that would give us a better perspective for the future as lotus roots have holes. I don't know whether it is widely believed or a way of educating a child succeeded in her family, haha.

All the talk about Christmas sweets make me feel nostalgic. When I was a kid, I often helped adults baking cakes for Chrismas at home, kindergarten, etc. I wish I remembered the recipes because some of the cakes were really delicious...

@Xen, I'm looking forward to hearing about Chinese New Year, because it looks so fun and interesting! (I love the lion :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:)

:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: thank you so much!!! 

Family traditions! :8232307:

Memories about baking :tumblr_inline_mto5i9TIpx1qid2nw:

Thank you for a very interesting and lovely post! Now let me go read your kindly provided information :7562096:

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

@TallyT Anzacs? I've never heard the term in relation to baking. What are they? 

They're a simple but iconic Australian biscuit (named after the wartime ANZAC troops because the originals could be posted looooong distance and still tasted good) with rolled oats, desiccated coconut and golden syrup - they came either crunchy or chewy but are absolutely delicious and there are hundreds and hundreds of recipes: this one gives you an idea

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/slightly-chewy-easy-anzac-biscuit-recipe-you-can-make-now/7ffc9d90-5b77-4698-a8fa-dc8457370c71

I adore them....

4 hours ago, TallyT said:

They're a simple but iconic Australian biscuit (named after the wartime ANZAC troops because the originals could be posted looooong distance and still tasted good) with rolled oats, desiccated coconut and golden syrup - they came either crunchy or chewy but are absolutely delicious and there are hundreds and hundreds of recipes: this one gives you an idea

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/slightly-chewy-easy-anzac-biscuit-recipe-you-can-make-now/7ffc9d90-5b77-4698-a8fa-dc8457370c71

I adore them....

They look good and I don't think I've encountered anything like them before. Hmmm... Adds to baking bucket list.

10 hours ago, TallyT said:

My sister has been baking biscuits to give the family, and the house smells of anzacs, chocolate and gingerbread....

Come Christmas Day, it'll be all cold food however; I have to remember to buy a pavlova and LOTS of cram and fruit to go on it :agree2:

7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

@TallyT Anzacs? I've never heard the term in relation to baking. What are they? 

4 hours ago, TallyT said:

I adore them....

16 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

They look good and I don't think I've encountered anything like them before. Hmmm... Adds to baking bucket list.

We have immigrated to Australia so we are not true blue Aussies but we came to love the things that Aussies offer. However, Christmas in summer time still feel a bit strange sometime. Mind you, we'll crack a bottle of bubblies and whack on a barbie (BBQ) at Christmas day. I'll probably make potato salad with Japanese mayonnaise & salad cream and have that with sausage sizzle!! The temperature would be around 35 or something and that'd be lovely for having BBQ and just chill.

Anzac biscuits are really hearty Australian biscuits. I love them :img_20:

So for those who knows about MBTI, what do you guys think Yuzu's type would be??? I'm curious, y'know, for science.

I have  a V e r y strong feeling he's an INFJ :sipping:

Edit: What's your type?? I'm an ISFP :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

9 hours ago, VyVy99 said:

So for those who knows about MBTI, what do you guys think Yuzu's type would be??? I'm curious, y'know, for science.

I didn't know about MBTI and had a quick test and got the results - I'm INFJ but don't really know what that means but if you think Yuzu is INFJ then it must be a good one:68468287: or is it 0:)

My results

Spoiler

15fFhKT.png

1 hour ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I didn't know about MBTI and had a quick test and got the results - I'm INFJ but don't really know what that means but if you think Yuzu is INFJ then it must be a good one:68468287: or is it 0:)

My results

Hide contents

15fFhKT.png

Oh wow!! That's so cool. Did you read the description of your type? There's a very long and detailed description for every type, out of which I think the INFJ describes Yuzu spot on (They're also one of the rarest personalities, yay Unicorn Yuzu). And yes I find them very attractive, starting with Yuzu. It's funny cuz I never get to meet any INFJ irl until I know Yuzu and start paying attention to that type. Since then I meet a couple of those folks and I get along with them so well hehehe.

This is the 16 personality test that will show your combination of: 1. Introvert (I) or Extrovert (E) - 2. Sensing (S) or Intuition (N) - 3. Feeling (F) or Thinking (T) -  4. Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)

15 hours ago, VyVy99 said:

Whichever type equates to 'King', 'Overlord", etc...IMO Yuzu is a very dominant personality, whatever his MTBI type. 

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Whichever type equates to 'King', 'Overlord", etc...IMO Yuzu is a very dominant personality, whatever his MTBI type. 

IMO, I think his lord giggliness is an ENFP- the most introverted of the extroverts.

Quite a bit of the descriptions of him as a child (restless, attention span issues etc) makes me lean towards Ne rather than Ni.

(INTJ here btw- yes, us female versions do exist)