General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Yuzu_legend said:

I really don't mind when the media does profiles on Fanyus like this. It humanizes them (or us I suppose lol), but like others have said, I wish they did show more of Yuzu's accomplishments so uninformed viewers can understand why he draws people. I mean, they show a figure of him with his People's Honor Award and don't mention it??? 

My favorite piece on Fanyus and Fanyuism is still the Australian piece from Skate Canada 2019 which I highly recommend listening to if you haven't already. The reporter really tries talking to fans and reporters to understand the phenomenon and by the end she seems quite moved. (The whole thing was done with the purpose of promoting 4CC that was supposed to be in Australia but that was cancelled) 

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/earshot/love,-obsession-and-fanyuism-in-figure-skating/11867136  

53 minutes ago, KendallKlaire said:

I really don't mind the media making profiles on Fanyus like this. It humanizes them (or us I guess lol), but like others have said, I wish they showed more of Yuzu's accomplishments so uninformed viewers could understand why he appeals to people. I mean they show a figure of him with his People's Honor Award and don't mention it??? 

My favorite song on Fanyus and Fanyuism remains the 2019 Skate Canada Australian song which I highly recommend listening to if you haven't already. The journalist really tries to talk to fans and journalists to understand the phenomenon and in the end, she seems quite moved. (The whole thing was done to promote 4CC which was supposed to be in Australia but got cancelled) 

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/earshot/love,-obsession-and-fanyuism-in-figure-skating/11867136  

I would have liked to understand it : too bad  :/ and I  :LOL:  seeing this flower girl trying to pick up this HUGE  : YuzuPoohLove:  almost bigger than her and the fans who find it :heartpound:amusing

1 時間前, Mary_kyoさんが言いました:

I don’t know why we are analyzing a “superhero who can fly“ rationally and within the box of physics laws on the earth. He certainly knows what he is doing (btw, who knows if he would really need to do 4A in the FS lalalala). He is doing a complete different jump than in April with astonishing improvements. it’s not a random muscled throw-in-the-air and pray-to-the-universe approach anymore. Based on his recent interview, he was injured in July too. So achieving what he did in JNats, after two injuries in one year, shows that he is on the right path and improving rather fast. I believe he will do at least a q one with a not very smooth landing in Beijing. Let’s see~

Jump progress is certainly not linear. Sometimes you go around in circles and think that you have reached the limit already, but then on the next day, everything just clicks and you make a huge improvement.:animated-smileys-cheeky-041:

I have no idea how the 4A will be at the Olympics, but I believe in Yuzu and will continue to support him and his dream. :redface:

All this hype on 4A is not necessarily a bad thing. It does its job in garnering attention and interest far beyond the sport. Anyone following FS since 2018 PyeongChang is fully aware that Yuzu can’t rely on the sport’s governing bodies for fair scoring at all but strong external pressure (the world is watching) should help to put a check on such practice at the Beijing Olympics. He doesn’t need to do a perfect 4A jump but as long as it’s ratified, he will have an upper hand and his name will be cast in stone for this achievement.

Similarly, the current I$U leadership will go down in history as clowns for assigning a low 12.5 BV for the impossibly difficult 4A.

At the personal level, I feel this is the best time for Yuzu to fulfil the last of his childhood dreams of landing the 4A as each passing year poses more challenges to his body and before someone else beats him to it (I’m sure there are a handful interested in taking on 4A though they didn’t announce it).

Anyway, I have faith in the path he takes. Praying for the best possible outcome for Yuzu :smiley-angelic001: :smiley-angelic001: :smiley-angelic001: :smiley-angelic001:

2 hours ago, Umebachi said:

Roncapu is a primary example - some fans are asking why he doesn't place the combination in the second half for extra points, but the program flow would be broken if he does that.  The 3A at the end with the staccato entry transition is iconic: would he break this in order to achieve an extra point or two?  Probably unlikely.

I'm always baffled when people ask why he can't backload the combo or jump a 4Lo instead of the 4S or a 3Lz instead of the 3Lo in the freeskate.

In a program with a taylor-made choreography you cannot just replace and throw around the elements the way you like. Every jump has an individual entry, take-off character, air-time and exit that has to match the music in timing, rhythm, tempo, timbre and other aspects. What works perfectly with a 3A, will probably be a total mess with a 4S or 4F which have a completely different entry rhythm and air-time than an Axel jump.

That's why Ten to Chi to has so little room for layout changes. The success of the program stands and falls with the musical flow and you will not find a jump layout that fits this program better than the current one.

Also, if you look carefully at the different versions of Ballade No. 1, the backloading of the combo required a complete rearrangement of the choreography between the opening 4S and the step sequence. It was impossible to just switch the positions of the 3A and 4T+3T, because it wouldn't have worked with the music at all.

Footnote: Of course, in many current programs you can play around with your layout without any issues, because there is hardly any connection with the music anyway.

50 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Footnote: Of course, in many current programs you can play around with your layout without any issues, because there is hardly any connection with the music anyway.

For me, this is the dividing line between technique and artistry. If your progran is such that you can move elements in it around at will, you're a technician, not an artist-athlete. 

Unless, like Yuzu used to do, you actually plan and train 2-3 different layouts just in case...

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

By the way, raise your hand if you've started following Yuzu's example in your own life. I've started telling myself that nerves are a sign that I'm ready and excited to do well, and that people wouldn't put pressure on me if they didn't think I was capable...it makes a remarkable difference to your mindset, everyone needs to try it...

I listen to a meditation app that includes discussions of the neurological bases of the meditation experience. Last night, I learned that, neurologically speaking, anxiety and excitement are identical. That was so affirming, because it matched my own observations.

I've wondered for years what people were talking about when they said they experienced anxiety. I just couldn't locate anything in my experience that I would describe with the word "anxiety." The more closely I paid attention to other people's descriptions, the more I realized that I felt the same sensations but classified them as positive rather than negative. My internal labeling system called them "excitement" rather than "anxiety."

Not only that, those sensations were hugely important to me in providing the impetus to do the things I care about. I'm just hugely grateful that I naturally frame things that way rather than having to work at switching my point of view. Perhaps Yuzu is the same. 

35 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

I listen to a meditation app that includes discussions of the neurological bases of the meditation experience. Last night, I learned that, neurologically speaking, anxiety and excitement are identical. That was so affirming, because it matched my own observations.

I've wondered for years what people were talking about when they said they experienced anxiety. I just couldn't locate anything in my experience that I would describe with the word "anxiety." The more closely I paid attention to other people's descriptions, the more I realized that I felt the same sensations but classified them as positive rather than negative. My internal labeling system called them "excitement" rather than "anxiety."

Not only that, those sensations were hugely important to me in providing the impetus to do the things I care about. I'm just hugely grateful that I naturally frame things that way rather than having to work at switching my point of view. Perhaps Yuzu is the same. 

For me, the defining difference is fearfulness. Excitement and anxiety feel physically the same, but emotionally speaking, if there's an underlying fear of loss or of harm, then I'm anxious. If I'm anticipating/expecting something positive, then I'm excited. So to 'flip the script'  so to speak, I need to move from fear to anticipation. 'I don't know how I'll do, I hope I do well' becomes 'I can't wait to see how I'll do, I know I'll do well" .

3 hours ago, YuzuSkating_IsTheTruth said:

All this hype on 4A is not necessarily a bad thing. It does its job in garnering attention and interest far beyond the sport. Anyone following FS since 2018 PyeongChang is fully aware that Yuzu can’t rely on the sport’s governing bodies for fair scoring at all but strong external pressure (the world is watching) should help to put a check on such practice at the Beijing Olympics. He doesn’t need to do a perfect 4A jump but as long as it’s ratified, he will have an upper hand and his name will be cast in stone for this achievement.

Similarly, the current I$U leadership will go down in history as clowns for assigning a low 12.5 BV for the impossibly difficult 4A.

At the personal level, I feel this is the best time for Yuzu to fulfil the last of his childhood dreams of landing the 4A as each passing year poses more challenges to his body and before someone else beats him to it (I’m sure there are a handful interested in taking on 4A though they didn’t announce it).

Anyway, I have faith in the path he takes. Praying for the best possible outcome for Yuzu :smiley-angelic001: :smiley-angelic001: :smiley-angelic001: :smiley-angelic001:

Actually Dmitri Aliev is trying to do the 4A. He has not yet been successful. I don't think his 3A is even very good so chances of 4A seem rather dim but soldier on. The sport always moves forward. I believe there may be others too. NC has even been seen trying it. I remember seeing in old videos Kurt Browning, I believe, jumped the 1st quad in competition years ago and it wasn't as neatly done as they do today. Others had done quads but I think his was the first in competition. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway technique improves with time.

But I concur. Now is Yuzu's time. I believe he can achieve 4A, it just has to be ratified to be in the books. Yuzu won't be satisfied if it isn't +GOE so I know that is what he will strive for. He always strives for perfection. For me, I am happy that he always pushes forward to lift the sport. He has already changed FS forever. I want him to be satisfied so that means 4A but he will always be legend regardless. There will never be another like him. Ganbatte, Yuzu! Fly!