General Yuzuru Chat

24 minutes ago, Mary_kyo said:

Isn’t it a bit iffy that western media usually focuses on “diehard” fans rather than bolding his achievements whenever they write about him? I find the tone of the article not positive tbh. There is no need to mention the age of the dominant group of fans, it is totally unnecessary (somehow agism) and also very difficult to estimate too. The article is kinda painting fanyus as crazy/obsessed/intimating people while the reality is that many of us take inspirations from him, his struggles and his performances.

There are bad apples in every group of people. Do the western media mention Nathan’s fans who are proud to be racist and homophobe? Or another question, do they ever mention that ‘specific’ interview of Nathan when they are writing about him these days? considering that one interview made more noise than any of his actual performances.

I don't like the tone of the article either, it wants to portray Yuzu fans in a certain way. The author is an English speaking journalist living in Japan, and according to his twitter only follows a few figure skating related accounts, the official JSF account, Nick McCarvel, Jack G., and Nathan...yeah.

13 minutes ago, Yuzu_legend said:

It’s funny because I see a lot of myself in what she said (as many of you do I’m sure). Every time I saw Yuzu live I made sure to blow up a picture I took and had it framed and hung on the wall so I would be able to tell my grandkids one day: « this is the legendary Yuzuru Hanyu whom I was able to see with my own eyes ! » We are so lucky to be witnessing history ! 

All this hype for 4A  is making me nervous..what if the 4A is not ready...will he attempts in the Olympics and fails.It sure will cause him the gold medal and possible backlash..i dont know.. all this news and hype for 4A is putting him under a lot of pressure to attempt it even if it is not ready.I rather like for him to fly under the radar and be the underdog like previous Olympics..less pressure

19 minutes ago, lynnidolz said:

All this hype for 4A  is making me nervous..what if the 4A is not ready...will he attempts in the Olympics and fails.It sure will cause him the gold medal and possible backlash..i dont know.. all this news and hype for 4A is putting him under a lot of pressure to attempt it even if it is not ready.I rather like for him to fly under the radar and be the underdog like previous Olympics..less pressure

yeah...we've seen enough times things didnt go well for skaters when there are immensed pressure. im a bit tired seeing the hype of the 4a. it really also took away a lot of focus from Yuzu and his skating. its as if his victory all depends on landing it 

46 minutes ago, lynnidolz said:

I am of the view that Yuzuru has done this in full knowledge of the hype that would ensue - I actually think that is WHY he has been so open, bravely telling the world he WILL land this jump. It has moved the narrative away from the one who is seen as his main rival (at least outside of the USA) - and I also am inclined to believe him when he says he turns pressure into power. So, if Yuzuru wanted the focus to be on him and his this jump, rather than on anything else, he will have done it feeling this is the best way to motivate himself to win Gold at the Olympics. I know he said he hasnt been thinking about the Olys, but I just remember his face and his gesture towards the Olympic rings in Nagano at JNats 2020 and have been convinced since then that this  HAS been a goal of his, to compete and win his third Olympic title.  Sometimes he might have doubted he could achieve it when things haven't been going well, but they began to go well I feel before NHK when he was confidently announcing he would land the 4A. Other satellites have said (and I agree) that he has known that he has to do something big/special to give himself a chance at Oly gold because of the way scoring and narrative have gone over the last quad since 2018 - I think he has been really clever. It's a gamble, but when has Yuzuru shied away from that? His title in 2018 seemed impossible yet he achieved it.  Here's hoping the same happens at Beijing!!

EDIT - just seen the comment above this one - I think Yuzuru has also ensured with his short programme that he can show the world  his skills are far more than jumping - and that this will accentuate to the world (and the judges, though they already know in truth) the difference between him and the other gold contenders.

2nd EDIT: oh and think about the pressure this puts on Nathan too - and we know (and Yuzu knows) how he struggled with that pressure at the last Olympics, and couldn't manage it ... The USA has hyped Nathan so much, he will be feeling it I am sure, especially as he hasnt had the best of seasons. Yuzu's strategy is a two pronged attack !

29 minutes ago, lynnidolz said:

I'm not particularly worried about the Olympics since I'm 99% sure that Yuzu can't land a GOE+ 4A there:rofl3:But he will keep trying until he succeed. And his final success will erase all the failures he experienced tills then.

18 minutes ago, Pammi said:

I am of the view that Yuzuru has done this in full knowledge of the hype that would ensue - I actually think that is WHY he has been so open, bravely telling the world he WILL land this jump. It has moved the narrative away from the one who is seen as his main rival (at least outside of the USA) - and I also am inclined to believe him when he says he turns pressure into power. So, if Yuzuru wanted the focus to be on him and his this jump, rather than on anything else, he will have done it feeling this is the best way to motivate himself to win Gold at the Olympics. I know he said he hasnt been thinking about the Olys, but I just remember his face and his gesture towards the Olympic rings in Nagano at JNats 2020 and have been convinced since then that this  HAS been a goal of his, to compete and win his third Olympic title.  Sometimes he might have doubted he could achieve it when things haven't been going well, but they began to go well I feel before NHK when he was confidently announcing he would land the 4A. Other satellites have said (and I agree) that he has known that he has to do something big/special to give himself a chance at Oly gold because of the way scoring and narrative have gone over the last quad since 2018 - I think he has been really clever. It's a gamble, but when has Yuzuru shied away from that? His title in 2018 seemed impossible yet he achieved it.  Here's hoping the same happens at Beijing!!

I totally agree with you.  This was a deliberate strategic move by Yuzu, throwing down the glove (a la Masquerade) to the ISU world.  His efforts at 4A might lie but it will never be in vain.   Yuzu has also made 4A to be his goal, so if he does not land a perfect GOE++ 4A at the Olympics, he will continue to work on it until he does.  He has his sights on the larger goal of creating a PERFORMANCE that will remain in history, not some tactical juggling act that might squeeze out a few extra points but will end up diluting and contaminating the beautiful programs.  Roncapu is a primary example - some fans are asking why he doesn't place the combination in the second half for extra points, but the program flow would be broken if he does that.  The 3A at the end with the staccato entry transition is iconic: would he break this in order to achieve an extra point or two?  Probably unlikely.  Here he is also throwing down the glove at the judges to dare give the appropriate PCS for such an incredibly refined. beautiful and complex program.  The challenge mirrors that of 4A for the Free Program and complements the technical challenge with the PCS/artistic challenge.   He may not "win" gold at the Olympics, but his performance will be analyzed and reviewed by many people afterwards for years to come, and these two programs will thus be remembered as "legendary".    

Yuzu attempted the 4A at JNats knowing full well how the media would hype the eff out of it. It's his choice. I, too, am tired of the emphasis on Nessie, but well, can't exactly expect everyone to shift focus from the new shiny thing, can we? Especially with the sensationalism-driven (western) "news" media. I don't think Zu doesn't know this either.

And Zu himself has claimed landing the 4A as his goal, can't really blame people to take him at his word, can we? I mean, I actually still half-expect people to know that landing 4A Yuzuru Hanyu-style means landing it while also delivering an actual figure skating performance, but eh. I am just going to force myself to be content that I and most fanyus know this.

@lynnidolz What @Pammi and @Umebachi said. I also am getting nervous because of all the hype building around 4A, but Yuzu has said in interviews in the past that he does take all the pressure and expectations that are on him and turn them into energy, so I think he has already taken into account the possibilities of the situation and has accepted them. Therefore, I'm going to trust Yuzu and try to ignore the noise. He will jump 4A, of that I am certain. 

Guest Mary_kyo

I don’t know why we are analyzing a “superhero who can fly“ rationally and within the box of physics laws on the earth. He certainly knows what he is doing (btw, who knows if he would really need to do 4A in the FS lalalala). He is doing a complete different jump than in April with astonishing improvements. it’s not a random muscled throw-in-the-air and pray-to-the-universe approach anymore. Based on his recent interview, he was injured in July too. So achieving what he did in JNats, after two injuries in one year, shows that he is on the right path and improving rather fast. I believe he will do at least a q one with a not very smooth landing in Beijing. Let’s see~

42 minutes ago, Pammi said:

EDIT - just seen the comment above this one - I think Yuzuru has also ensured with his short programme that he can show the world  his skills are far more than jumping - and that this will accentuate to the world (and the judges, though they already know in truth) the difference between him and the other gold contenders.

2nd EDIT: oh and think about the pressure this puts on Nathan too - and we know (and Yuzu knows) how he struggled with that pressure at the last Olympics, and couldn't manage it ... The USA has hyped Nathan so much, he will be feeling it I am sure, especially as he hasnt had the best of seasons. Yuzu's strategy is a two pronged attack !

I agree with every word of this. I fully believe Yuzu has been so public in his pursuit of the 4A not in spite of the hype he knew it would cause but because of the hype he knew it would cause . It’s largely a mental battle at this point, and he’s a seasoned warrior at the height of his prowess. I am loving it!

3 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

I agree with every word of this. I fully believe Yuzu has been so public in his pursuit of the 4A not in spite of the hype he knew it would cause but because of the hype he knew it would cause . It’s largely a mental battle at this point, and he’s a seasoned warrior at the height of his prowess. I am loving it!

By the way, raise your hand if you've started following Yuzu's example in your own life. I've started telling myself that nerves are a sign that I'm ready and excited to do well, and that people wouldn't put pressure on me if they didn't think I was capable...it makes a remarkable difference to your mindset, everyone needs to try it...