General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Fay said:

erm... English grammar has always been pretty straightforward to me. :)  But I think it depends what's your departure point is.

Hmm, I'm a native speaker and have taught students - trying to distill 'rules' for grammar is hard because you'll always have that rogue word that doesn't follow the rules at all :laughing: Also pronunciation (http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/12/23/english-pronunciation/)

2 hours ago, kaerb said:

L O L I'm dying a little at the fact every other word has a footnote because English grammar is the actual worst and I don't envy anyone who has to learn it as a second language. I do really respect the fact he was determined from very early on to do his interviews in English even when he could be so much more eloquent in his native language with an interpreter 

except his grammar is not very good...so they are teaching yuzu's bad grammar to kids?? :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid:

46 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

...so they are teaching yuzu's bad grammar to kids?? :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid:

Poor kids, I really hope not :drama::smiley-scared003::animated-smileys-character-099:sorry the last emoticon is totally unrelated, too cute, had to use it

:darklordyuzu:  Evil Overlord of English?

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

except his grammar is not very good...so they are teaching yuzu's bad grammar to kids?? :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid:

If I'm not mistaken this is a magazine about English conversation or something like that but not an actual English textbook. I don't remember the name but I saw it on Twitter

2 時間前, Hydroblade said:

If I'm not mistaken this is a magazine about English conversation or something like that but not an actual English textbook. I don't remember the name but I saw it on Twitter

The name of the magazine is "ENGLISH JOURNAL".  I read it several times before, and I think this is a rather practical magazine for English learners.  

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01N9XIL37/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YGRVybBM3CZ77

IMO, English education in Japan is not as bad as everyone claims.  The problem is, Japanese in general do not have so many occasions to practice or actually use it compared to the learners in other countries.  We do not have so many tourists from abroad (although they are increasing now),  or foreign students, or business occasions to use English.  You would not feel like working hard if you don't think it is necessary :biggrin:  

When I was watching NHK World, I was astonished by one reporter who speaks English with unmistakable Japanese accent :smiley-shocked032: :shocked:.  His grammar may be correct, but I confess that I have not listened to such typical Japanese accented English recently.

At least Yuzuru's pronunciation is much better than that reporter from NHK, our most prestigious TV station :laughing:

4 hours ago, kaerb said:

Hmm, I'm a native speaker and have taught students - trying to distill 'rules' for grammar is hard because you'll always have that rogue word that doesn't follow the rules at all :laughing: Also pronunciation (http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/12/23/english-pronunciation/)

and here I feel sorely tempted to go into the vagaries of Russian grammar - if you want to go through hel... er... a challenging experience, welcome to learn Russian as a foreign language.

I was lucky enough to pick it up as a second language when I was still a kid. :biggrin:

3 hours ago, MrPudding said:

If you were inspired back into skating, or starting skating, because of Yuzu's magic, raise your hand and say "Aye!"

"Aye!" from me.  I grabbed my old skates after Helsinki, after not stepping on ice for 9 years.

And no matter the result this season, I think we are incredibly blessed to be able to witness this era. It's not just due to Yuzu, but also the top 6 skaters in the men's field now. I've followed skating since the mid 90's, and frankly, I don't recall a men's field where the top six were so incredbily close technically. And they push each other so much artistically and technically; previously I would probably just watch the top 2-3 cause they were the only ones who held my attention. Now, I actually watch all top six and then some with baited breath. It's an amazing time to be a men's figure skating fan.

18 minutes ago, Xen said:

If you were inspired back into skating, or starting skating, because of Yuzu's magic, raise your hand and say "Aye!"

"Aye!" from me.  I grabbed my old skates after Helsinki, after not stepping on ice for 9 years.

And no matter the result this season, I think we are incredibly blessed to be able to witness this era. It's not just due to Yuzu, but also the top 6 skaters in the men's field now. I've followed skating since the mid 90's, and frankly, I don't recall a men's field where the top six were so incredbily close technically. And they push each other so much artistically and technically; previously I would probably just watch the top 2-3 cause they were the only ones who held my attention. Now, I actually watch all top six and then some with baited breath. It's an amazing time to be a men's figure skating fan.

At Worlds, really you could extend that beyond the top 6! The guys definitely keep you on your toes.  

I haven't gotten back into the rink (I skated in college and it's been a little over 10 years now) but I'm looking to pick up activity again and while I preferred doing gymnastics of the two, I don't want to injure my body from gymnastics (I was starting to experience some neck and back pain, especially with my front tucks).  

1 hour ago, Xen said:

And among the top 6 in men figure skating, in the end of last season Yuzuru is the one who breaks the record and win. Amazing isn't he? :snonegai:

He keeps improving. I thought I've seen the best from him yet he showed us there's skill he can improve. 

He always said that he needs more more and more practice (even after he breaks the world record!) .... He has no :chillpill:

5 minutes ago, Yuazz said:

And among the top 6 in men figure skating, in the end of last season Yuzuru is the one who breaks the record and win. Amazing isn't he? :snonegai:

He keeps improving. I thought I've seen the best from him yet he showed us there's skill he can improve. 

He always said that he needs more more and more practice (even after he breaks the world record!) .... He has no :chillpill:

That's why Yuzu is amazing!  Whenever he wins in a competition or breaks a new WR, his focus is always on how he has more room for improvement and his first statements are usually about him needing to train harder (despite the fact that he trains really hard!). He might be happy with his results (sometimes), but he has this intense desire to keep going further and further. 

While other top men also talk about improving further, it's usually after they say that they're happy about their results. Saying that they can improve further is an act of humbleness, although their focus is on their success.

While men figure skating has gotten lot more competitive and exciting in the past few years, I still see Yuzu as someone in a league of his own. In every sports, there's always waves of veterans r*****ing and youngsters joining, and the veterans slowly fade out of sight. But I think Yuzu will be remembered for decades to come. Even when he r******, his legacy will not.