General Yuzuru Chat

What a Xmas week this is turning out to be!  As many of us are "stuck" somewhere, away from many of our loved ones, it is so good to have the Planet where we can reach out and connect.  And what better way to enjoy the unfolding drama and joy that is our overlord!  

Some personal reflections on his choice of programs:

SP LMEY - (we already have the acronym seared into our brain) - I am thrilled to have him turn on the rock star side of his performance!  It's been a while since LGC.  I agree with many of you that the song itself is not particularly artistic or deeply meaningful, but it shows off the playful side of Yuzu who wants to delight and entertain us.  The PC Olympics programs seemed to brand him as a serious and serene skater which, from a branding point of view, could pigeon-hole him to certain segment of the audience (market).  By choosing a breezy, catchy music with a potential for explosive energy - and also not too complicated music - for people unfamiliar with figure skating, he will be able to draw in a huge swathe of new audience into the sport.  Then once they are hooked with his rock gyrations... then BAM!!! he gives you a very cerebral, spiritual yet also "easy" to understand Sengoku-jidai (warring era) epic war hero.  It will give the new audience a whiplash to go from one end to the other.  What a great program concept for the Olympics!  He has matured so much and become masterful at marketing figure skating that reminds me of Steve Jobs at Apple: artistic and technical genius who could also sell to the global market.  

FP Heaven and Earth - I am absolutely agog with his choice of the free program.  To give you a bit of background, for many of us growing up in Japan in the 1960s, when we were still recovering psychologically from the scars of the brutal war, NHK's Taiga Drama played a crucial role in teaching us with new eyes about our history, to reconnect with our past and regain our dignity and humanity.  I was a diplomat's child, and wherever we were stationed my father had to remind me that "We had lost the war" and "we must behave with humility and dignity".  I was often the only Japanese girl in the schools, and occasionally faced racists comments from my classmates.  But I learned to hold my head high - perhaps sometimes without adequate humility as this is very hard for a young child - and did my best to hold my ground.  You know how cruel kids can be...

Whenever we were back in Japan, we watched the NHK Taiga Drama, every Sunday evening. This was such an integral part of my upbringing which I am only now beginning to realize the deep emotional impact that these programs have had on me.  The earliest and my favorite is the drama based on Minamoto Yoshitsune, with a famous young Kabuki actor playing the title role.  It was a year-long drama revealing all the cruelties and unfairness of war.  At some point in the future, I hope Yuzu will be able to play Yoshitsune in some program, on or off the ice.   

But I digress.  I did not watch the entire series of Heaven and Earth since we were moving in and out of Japan that year, but I still recall catching glimpses of the program which had some incredible actors.   The choice of this particular drama and the main hero - Uesugi Kenshin, is truly revealing about Yuzu's mindset.  I recall Yuzu mentioning some years ago (perhaps after Sochi) that he would like to perform to one of the Taiga drama music, so he has been thinking about it for some time.  I often wondered which one he would choose: it would have to be both musically appropriate for FS and with a compelling and fitting storyline.   This choice of Heaven and Earth seems to fit both conditions extremely well.  Uesugi Kenshin is not well known outside of Japan, but he is an iconic warrior - highly educated, spiritual and deeply immersed in Buddhist teachings, artistic and poetic, striving for social justice in the midst of chaos and, of course, a masterful warrior/military leader.  His famous rivalry with another strongman of the time, Takeda Shingen (who was featured in Kurosawa's Kagemusha) is a model of Japanese medieaval chivalry, each showing great respect for each other as they continued to battle for supremacy.  (Their relationship is reminiscent of Yuzu and Javi's rivalry.)  By choosing this program, Yuzu will introduce the global  audience to the side of Japan that is not well known, and in the process bring us closer together by sharing the great and eternal story of human struggle. 

I didn't realize myself how emotionally vested I had been in those old Taiga dramas, and when I heard the title "天と地と” I felt a guttral slam and tears came to my eyes as I remembered being together and sharing the story as a family.  Especially moving in this time of pandemic...  So, as we have done for millenia, these epic stories told around the fires in the evening are how we reconnect, share and re-discover meaning in our daily lives. 

I leave you here with the poem written by Kenshin on his death bed, whence comes the title "Heaven and Earth": 

Even a life-long prosperity is but one cup of sake;
A life of forty-nine years is passed in a dream;
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Uesugi Kenshin
1530-1578

English translation from this source:

https://phillipjohnston.net/blog/2018/04/25/death-poem-of-uesugi-kenshin/

10 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It always makes me anxious whenever I see things in the media saying that Brian and him aren't in touch. Because Yuzu left to his own devices does wild things...

about Pooh-san: Yuzu is probably planning to thoroughly clean and disinfect everything he brings to Nagano when he gets back home. Maybe he doesn't think original Pooh-san would survive such a vigorous cleaning, so left him at home and brought a sturdier one instead?

What would make anyone think that Yuzu and Brian (and Ghislain) haven't been in touch?  He may be physically coachless but he is not coachless and there has not, at least up to this point, any talk of him leaving his coaches behind.

7 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

What a Xmas week this is turning out to be!  As many of us are "stuck" somewhere, away from many of our loved ones, it is so good to have the Planet where we can reach out and connect.  And what better way to enjoy the unfolding drama and joy that is our overlord!  

Some personal reflections on his choice of programs:

SP LMEY - (we already have the acronym seared into our brain) - I am thrilled to have him turn on the rock star side of his performance!  It's been a while since LGC.  I agree with many of you that the song itself is not particularly artistic or deeply meaningful, but it shows off the playful side of Yuzu who wants to delight and entertain us.  The PC Olympics programs seemed to brand him as a serious and serene skater which, from a branding point of view, could pigeon-hole him to certain segment of the audience (market).  By choosing a breezy, catchy music with a potential for explosive energy - and also not too complicated music - for people unfamiliar with figure skating, he will be able to draw in a huge swathe of new audience into the sport.  Then once they are hooked with his rock gyrations... then BAM!!! he gives you a very cerebral, spiritual yet also "easy" to understand Sengoku-jidai (warring era) epic war hero.  It will give the new audience a whiplash to go from one end to the other.  What a great program concept for the Olympics!  He has matured so much and become masterful at marketing figure skating that reminds me of Steve Jobs at Apple: artistic and technical genius who could also sell to the global market.  

FP Heaven and Earth - I am absolutely agog with his choice of the free program.  To give you a bit of background, for many of us growing up in Japan in the 1960s, when we were still recovering psychologically from the scars of the brutal war, NHK's Taiga Drama played a crucial role in teaching us with new eyes about our history, to reconnect with our past and regain our dignity and humanity.  I was a diplomat's child, and wherever we were stationed my father had to remind me that "We had lost the war" and "we must behave with humility and dignity".  I was often the only Japanese girl in the schools, and occasionally faced racists comments from my classmates.  But I learned to hold my head high - perhaps sometimes without adequate humility as this is very hard for a young child - and did my best to hold my ground.  You know how cruel kids can be...

Whenever we were back in Japan, we watched the NHK Taiga Drama, every Sunday evening. This was such an integral part of my upbringing which I am only now beginning to realize the deep emotional impact that these programs have had on me.  The earliest and my favorite is the drama based on Minamoto Yoshitsune, with a famous young Kabuki actor playing the title role.  It was a year-long drama revealing all the cruelties and unfairness of war.  At some point in the future, I hope Yuzu will be able to play Yoshitsune in some program, on or off the ice.   

But I digress.  I did not watch the entire series of Heaven and Earth since we were moving in and out of Japan that year, but I still recall catching glimpses of the program which had some incredible actors.   The choice of this particular drama and the main hero - Uesugi Kenshin, is truly revealing about Yuzu's mindset.  I recall Yuzu mentioning some years ago (perhaps after Sochi) that he would like to perform to one of the Taiga drama music, so he has been thinking about it for some time.  I often wondered which one he would choose: it would have to be both musically appropriate for FS and with a compelling and fitting storyline.   This choice of Heaven and Earth seems to fit both conditions extremely well.  Uesugi Kenshin is not well known outside of Japan, but he is an iconic warrior - highly educated, spiritual and deeply immersed in Buddhist teachings, artistic and poetic, striving for social justice in the midst of chaos and, of course, a masterful warrior/military leader.  His famous rivalry with another strongman of the time, Takeda Shingen (who was featured in Kurosawa's Kagemusha) is a model of Japanese medieaval chivalry, each showing great respect for each other as they continued to battle for supremacy.  (Their relationship is reminiscent of Yuzu and Javi's rivalry.)  By choosing this program, Yuzu will introduce the global  audience to the side of Japan that is not well known, and in the process bring us closer together by sharing the great and eternal story of human struggle. 

I didn't realize myself how emotionally vested I had been in those old Taiga dramas, and when I heard the title "天と地と” I felt a guttral slam and tears came to my eyes as I remembered being together and sharing the story as a family.  Especially moving in this time of pandemic...  So, as we have done for millenia, these epic stories told around the fires in the evening are how we reconnect, share and re-discover meaning in our daily lives. 

I leave you here with the poem written by Kenshin on his death bed, whence comes the title "Heaven and Earth": 

Even a life-long prosperity is but one cup of sake;
A life of forty-nine years is passed in a dream;
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Uesugi Kenshin
1530-1578

English translation from this source:

https://phillipjohnston.net/blog/2018/04/25/death-poem-of-uesugi-kenshin/

Thank you for sharing and letting us get a glimpse of how meaning heavy the song choice is for Japanese people! 
That is a lovely poem as well :tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:

Honestly, though. I have a sick (but improving) family member and therefore am locked down in a true quarantine, not just social distancing. I can't be in the same room as another human being for the next week. The fact that Yuzu is competing is a bright spot indeed. So, selfish though it may be, I am incredibly thankful that he's skating at nationals.

1 minute ago, river said:

Honestly, though. I have a sick family member and therefore am locked down in a true quarantine, not just social distancing. I can't be in the same room as another human being for the next week. The fact that Yuzu is competing is a bright spot indeed. So, selfish though it may be, I am incredibly thankful that he's skating at nationals.

I am so sorry to hear that about you! I am glad Yuzu has brought us happiness. I am praying this competition will treat him well!

25 minutes ago, river said:

Honestly, though. I have a sick (but improving) family member and therefore am locked down in a true quarantine, not just social distancing. I can't be in the same room as another human being for the next week. The fact that Yuzu is competing is a bright spot indeed. So, selfish though it may be, I am incredibly thankful that he's skating at nationals.

Sorry to hear that, I hope they will recover soon !! :fingerscrossed:

42 minutes ago, river said:

Honestly, though. I have a sick (but improving) family member and therefore am locked down in a true quarantine, not just social distancing.

Hoping for their speedy recovery!! Don’t worry, you still have Yuzu’s companion:dancingpooh::dancingpooh::dancingpooh:

Thanks Yuzu for coming back with new programs after such a long hiatus. What a great Christmas gift to fans.
Couldn’t ask for more......especially during this pandemic....:dontdothistome:

5 hours ago, Whoopiewoop said:

Isn't that based on the novel Mo Dao Zu SHi (Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation)? 

I watched the anime when it came out a couple of years ago and loved it.

That's the one! There's a book, anime (and chibi version), manga... and audiodrama version. Because if you're gonna do a story you might as well do it in every version known to man. All that's left would be a high school musical. :giggle:

Theoretically there's to be a third season of the anime in the works, if that's of interest.

1 hour ago, river said:

Boo. Sorry that you have to quarantine (and after having your first dose of the the vaccine). As there is only so much new Yuzu available to us right now, I recommend you use the empty hours to become addicted to BTS. They are very distracting.