Jump to content
Planet Hanyu Staff

General Yuzuru Chat

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:


Woah, does 2026 Olympics want Yuzu too? XD

Think it’s quite unlikely Yuzu will stay for that long but if he does... he’ll be 31 at that time right? If I’m not wrong, Plushy was 31 at Sochi, right? 

That’s what surprised me. A bit too old, unless you’re a dancer or a pair skater. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Lunna said:

Lots of people who skate say that spins make them dizzy, so maybe it's not good/necessary to train them much at least if you're already good at it like Yuzu, though even Yuzu uses mostly the same positions every year.

I've often wondered what techniques skaters have to prevent dizziness in spins.  Ballet dancers engage in spotting, whereby they spot something in sight and keep their face facing it while the rest of their body is spinning, only letting go when they can't hold on any longer and whipping around their head to again see the spot, doing it repeatedly until the spinning move is finished.  The thing is that ballet spins, at least those on the floor, are slow enough that they can use that technique.  Figure-skating spins are often much more rapid.  Spotting is not a practicable solution.  So if anyone out there on the Planet knows how skaters hold off dizziness, let the rest of us know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Shoma himself said explicitly that he hated spins. Yuzu has never said such a thing. He just doesn't need to practice them during public practices because they're so consistent, and he gets mostly full credit for them anyway. Except for that year at ACI ... :smiley-laughing015:

 

36 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:


Woah, does 2026 Olympics want Yuzu too? XD

Think it’s quite unlikely Yuzu will stay for that long but if he does... he’ll be 31 at that time right? If I’m not wrong, Plushy was 31 at Sochi, right? 

 

11 minutes ago, Fay said:

That’s what surprised me. A bit too old, unless you’re a dancer or a pair skater. 

 

Never say never! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I've often wondered what techniques skaters have to prevent dizziness in spins.  Ballet dancers engage in spotting, whereby they spot something in sight and keep their face facing it while the rest of their body is spinning, only letting go when they can't hold on any longer and whipping around their head to again see the spot, doing it repeatedly until the spinning move is finished.  The thing is that ballet spins, at least those on the floor, are slow enough that they can use that technique.  Figure-skating spins are often much more rapid.  Spotting is not a practicable solution.  So if anyone out there on the Planet knows how skaters hold off dizziness, let the rest of us know.


Maybe I’m not the right person to answer because I am only a beginner skater but I just... kind of got used to it. When I first started learning how to spin I was very dizzy but nowadays I don’t get dizzy any more... although as I said before I am only a beginner doing very basic spins and spinning very slowly :) 

 

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

I think Shoma himself said explicitly that he hated spins.


I’m surprised though! I thought Shoma’s a pretty good spinner haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Veveco said:

I think you're way, way overthinking this. The joke is just that he doesn't train them much in public practice. That's it. For all we know, he could just be confident enough about them and feel he doesn't need to train them compared to more volatile elements like jumps. Other skaters don't really practice spins in public that much either.

I see. Given the result, indeed he doesn't have to train them more.

 

3 hours ago, Lunna said:

Lots of people who skate say that spins make them dizzy, so maybe it's not good/necessary to train them much at least if you're already good at it like Yuzu, though even Yuzu uses mostly the same positions every year.

Even with the same positions, his spins are so varied because he models them to suit his programs. As very few skaters do so, I have the impression that it must be very difficult to move the arms or model the back during a spin?

 

Quote

He just doesn't need to practice them during public practices because they're so consistent, and he gets mostly full credit for them anyway. Except for that year at ACI ... :smiley-laughing015:

@yuzuangel I am always shocked at how small his GOEs are for otherwordly spins. 1 point robbed at every spin, make 3 points at the end of a program.

Of course there may be faults I don't see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 минут назад, yuzuangel сказал:

Except for that year at ACI ... 

I remember he tried layback position at the final spin, but got rid of it at Helsinki GP already.

Also that cute moment when he ended on his butt at the end of NDP :10636614:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lunna said:

I remember he tried layback position at the final spin, but got rid of it at Helsinki GP already.

Also that cute moment when he ended on his butt at the end of NDP :10636614:

I wish he kept it

Zuzu try new spins :snonegai:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

poor bb :smiley-sad058:

 

 


Even the commentator was predicting a world record, despite the popped axel and was surprised when the score was so low :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 минут назад, yuzuangel сказал:

I wish he kept it

It really fit the program, even though I think Jun's layback position is better (mostly his free leg position), but Yuzu later done it at shows at least.

11 минут назад, yuzuangel сказал:

Zuzu try new spins

We all know were his training energy goes... I also dunno why there's 1 choreo stsq but not at least one choreo spin out of the 3. I feel like spin's positions are very limited by rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2小時前, FlyingCamel說:


Maybe I’m not the right person to answer because I am only a beginner skater but I just... kind of got used to it. When I first started learning how to spin I was very dizzy but nowadays I don’t get dizzy any more... although as I said before I am only a beginner doing very basic spins and spinning very slowly :) 

 


I’m surprised though! I thought Shoma’s a pretty good spinner haha

 

Same here as a beginner skater, though in my case, when I first learnt to spin, I was too bad at it and my "spin" didn't even last 2 revolutions to make me dizzy :59182a91b7414_cool(1):. It gradually got better after practice and at the same time the dizziness disappeared.

 

Yuzu said that he loved spinning as a child and he even "competed" with Lambiel in spins when he was still a little mushroom. Maybe spinning is not as fun as an adult? Generally I think top skaters don't put much time in spins. I think Roman Sadovsky (one of the best spinners) has said that he trained them when he was young, but not so much now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:


Maybe I’m not the right person to answer because I am only a beginner skater but I just... kind of got used to it. When I first started learning how to spin I was very dizzy but nowadays I don’t get dizzy any more... although as I said before I am only a beginner doing very basic spins and spinning very slowly :) 

 


I’m surprised though! I thought Shoma’s a pretty good spinner haha

I remember reading an article (ostensibly about dancers spinning) about spinning and brain changes but just found it.  https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/scicurious-brain/practice-spinning-tiny-dancer/

Skaters also have a slightly different way to train the dizziness response away that is slightly different than dancers. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-don-t-figure-skaters-get-dizzy-when-they-spin/

You don't have to read all of both articles to get some scientific info on how skaters can spin without getting dizzy and losing balance. Think of how many years Yuzu (and Shoma) have been practicing spins.  If you had a 6 yr old do the same number of fast revolutions than a skater with years of experience does, they'd fall over.  It's practice.  Start with one spin and train from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect to see Yuzu's spin positions looking :003: when we see him skating next, since spins are luckily one thing that can be practiced off the ice, and boredom is a powerful motivator.....He just needs his little bee spinner and Floor-chan :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, fyere0 said:

He just needs his little bee spinner and Floor-chan :D 

I wouldn't protest against a new episode of the Soap Opera by the way... :woop: (Understatement. It was so well found!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...