General Yuzuru Chat

hace 33 minutos , glilikoi said:

I'm going to do a rough translation of the second interview segment broadcasted today. Sorry if someone has already done this!

After the introduction, the narrator states that Yuzu was trying to look ahead despite the difficult defeat at Nats.

Y: Right now it feels like I've gone through a series of disasters, or from bad to worse.. (the idioms he uses here are 七難八苦  'seven difficulties and eight pains', originally a Buddhist phrase; and  泣き面に蜂  'bees on a tearful face', which is similar to 'adding insult to injury' - I think it's a nice figure of speech). I don't think I've been this tattered since my Novice days - I'm really worn out. But it's not just because I lost - I gave it my all and still couldn't make it, and that was kuyashii and painful, which is why I'm tired now. But I still have time to recover, to recover even a little bit. I'd like to whip my body into shape as soon as possible. 

Q: After losing to Nathan etc, how does it feel to go from 'being chased' to 'chasing'? 

A: Well, what I was really happy about was that Shoma was always being told he was 'Hanyu's successor', and I think this gave him a lot of pressure too. If I made mistakes, it would be described (in the press) as a 'crushing defeat'. So there was this huge pressure on both sides. What if this situation was reversed, 'if Shoma won then wouldn't something change?' - I did also think about this. But then he did win, and nothing changed - neither Shoma or myself. I guess this is our natural stance/attitude, we have that kind of relationship. So I felt a bit relieved. I could still think that I can be 'Yuzu-kun' for Shoma. And because 'Yuzu-kun' is not that weak, I still need to continue being cool/doing my best. I do still think I want to become someone Shoma wants to chase and win. So I'll keep on doing my best. 

Q: But you are still someone who everyone in the world wants to chase after. 

A: Well, but I feel really kuyashii and pathetic. I feel the pain of not being able to bring the results I wanted, and the pain of not being able to give a good performance. I've been constantly haunted this season (by failure/frustration). Well, probably not just this season, somehow there is always a feeling of もやもや (I can't really translate this word because there's too many possible translations - it can mean feeling gloomy, frustrated, depressed or uncertain, and I don't really know what exactly Yuzu means here, so I think it's better to leave it up for interpretation). When skating, there are things that make me think 'ah, it's so hard'.. Well, although this isn't a request to the gods, someday I would like to work hard and properly, properly use various means/sources of power, and if I keep greedily working hard, I think someday there will be a moment where that hard work is rewarded, even if it was a miracle. So while waiting for that, I want to continue feeling this pain, too. 

Q: Has your previously stated pre-season goal of wanting to be the 'strongest version of yourself' changed? 

A: No, it hasn't changed at all. Well, this is going back to talking about the present moment, but.. Stephane Lambiel really consoled me this time. He's a very good friend to me. In ice shows too, he's always been very kind to me, since a long time ago. Well, this happens every time I lose in a competition, but kind people like that will always say stuff like 'It's okay since you're already a legend' to me. That 'there's meaning in the things you do, in you just being here'. But being told that is painful in itself. These are only glories of the past.. When I fail*, I can't think of myself as someone amazing at all. When I'm told that I'm already a legend, that just makes me feel all the more like my current state is no good. Like I don't want to become a relic of the past. I want to keep moving.  

(* This is one part I wasn't 100% sure of - maybe a Japanese native could confirm? Did Yuzu mean 滑る as in 'skate' or as in 'fail/bomb' here? )

:10742289: thank you again thousand times for taking so much of your time and being so kind to translate :tumblr_m230pl4UqL1qfamg6:!!! It’s very hard to watch this kind of interviews and not be able to understand him:13877886:!! :thanks:  for coming to our rescue!!!!

37 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

A: Well, but I feel really kuyashii and pathetic. I feel the pain of not being able to bring the results I wanted, and the pain of not being able to give a good performance. I've been constantly haunted this season (by failure/frustration). Well, probably not just this season, somehow there is always a feeling of もやもや (I can't really translate this word because there's too many possible translations - it can mean feeling gloomy, frustrated, depressed or uncertain, and I don't really know what exactly Yuzu means here, so I think it's better to leave it up for interpretation). When skating, there are things that make me think 'ah, it's so hard'.. Well, although this isn't a request to the gods, someday I would like to work hard and properly, properly use various means/sources of power, and if I keep greedily working hard, I think someday there will be a moment where that hard work is rewarded, even if it was a miracle. So while waiting for that, I want to continue feeling this pain, too. 

This thoughts are so intense and not good. I know exactly how he feels but I sure wish he wouldn't feel that way. 
Anyways, I hope you get your miracle, Yuzu.

Thank you so very much for this translation, glilikoi, you are very kind.

1 hour ago, glilikoi said:

I'm going to do a rough translation of the second interview segment broadcasted today. Sorry if someone has already done this!

After the introduction, the narrator states that Yuzu was trying to look ahead despite the difficult defeat at Nats.

Y: Right now it feels like I've gone through a series of disasters, or from bad to worse.. (the idioms he uses here are 七難八苦  'seven difficulties and eight pains', originally a Buddhist phrase; and  泣き面に蜂  'bees on a tearful face', which is similar to 'adding insult to injury' - I think it's a nice figure of speech). I don't think I've been this tattered since my Novice days - I'm really worn out. But it's not just because I lost - I gave it my all and still couldn't make it, and that was kuyashii and painful, which is why I'm tired now. But I still have time to recover, to recover even a little bit. I'd like to whip my body into shape as soon as possible. 

Q: After losing to Nathan etc, how does it feel to go from 'being chased' to 'chasing'? 

A: Well, what I was really happy about was that Shoma was always being told he was 'Hanyu's successor', and I think this gave him a lot of pressure too. If I made mistakes, it would be described (in the press) as a 'crushing defeat'. So there was this huge pressure on both sides. What if this situation was reversed, 'if Shoma won then wouldn't something change?' - I did also think about this. But then he did win, and nothing changed - neither Shoma or myself. I guess this is our natural stance/attitude, we have that kind of relationship. So I felt a bit relieved. I could still think that I can be 'Yuzu-kun' for Shoma. And because 'Yuzu-kun' is not that weak, I still need to continue being cool/doing my best. I do still think I want to become someone Shoma wants to chase and win. So I'll keep on doing my best. 

A: Well, but I feel really kuyashii and pathetic. I feel the pain of not being able to bring the results I wanted, and the pain of not being able to give a good performance. I've been constantly haunted this season (by failure/frustration). Well, probably not just this season, somehow there is always a feeling of もやもや (I can't really translate this word because there's too many possible translations - it can mean feeling gloomy, frustrated, depressed or uncertain, and I don't really know what exactly Yuzu means here, so I think it's better to leave it up for interpretation). When skating, there are things that make me think 'ah, it's so hard'.. Well, although this isn't a request to the gods, I would like to work hard and properly, to use various means/sources of power - and as long as I keep greedily working hard, I think someday there will be a moment where that hard work is rewarded, even if it has to be a miracle. So while waiting for that, I want to continue feeling this pain, too. 

Q: Has your previously stated pre-season goal of wanting to be the 'strongest version of yourself' changed? 

A: No, it hasn't changed at all. Well, this is going back to talking about the present moment, but.. Stephane Lambiel really consoled me this time. He's a very good friend to me. In ice shows too, he's always been very kind to me, since a long time ago. Well, this happens every time I lose in a competition, but kind people like that will always say stuff like 'It's okay since you're already a legend' to me. That 'there's meaning in the things you do, in you just being here'. But being told that is painful in itself. These are only glories of the past.. When I fail*, I can't think of myself as someone amazing at all. When I'm told that I'm already a legend, that just makes me feel all the more like my current state is no good. Like I don't want to become a relic of the past. I want to keep moving.  

(* This is one part I wasn't 100% sure of - maybe a native speaker could confirm? Did Yuzu mean 滑る as in 'skate' or as in 'fail/bomb' here? )

OK, here is my interpretation of what he is trying to say... a bit long.  In reference to your * query: in this context, I think he meant "skate" rather than "fail" (slipped on ice).  My understanding is that when he skates... (and here pauses for reflection) he doesn't feel that he is all that special, but when he hears others say that "he is a legend" makes him tense up (grit his teeth, kuuu) with the thought that this (his skating) is not good enough (to be called a legend).  To me, he is telling us that we shouldn't be lowering our standards just because we think he's a legend.  We have to remain true to our core principles and not allow such sentiments cloud our judgement... 

He communicates in a very Japanese style - not through logical construction of thoughts revealing cause and effect - but rather by conveying all shades of emotional nuances.  It's difficult to translate into English for this reason: to convey this sense, it requires a much longer discourse on his intonation (how he says things, including the thoughtful pauses), and a sweeping description of that emotional landscape that he is painting for the audience.  Hence, his choice of the word moya-moya もやもや to describe his feeling is so colourful and provocative - for me it brings to my mind the misty fog clinging over the dark pine trees on a steep mountainside - typical sumie style.  Moya means mist in Japanese, not the light and wispy kind, but the foreboding kind that you find hanging over dark forests.  And it describes that feeling of frustrating, lack of clarity, like a blind man struggling through such a landscape... 

And as you know, he is also expressing all this in these interviews because he wants to capture these evanescent moments in words before they are forgotten, so that he can reflect and later analyze more objectively about his own state of mind.  A true student of Human Sciences!    

8 hours ago, airi said:

Katia about Yuzu. Can't believe how direct and brave she was :laughing:

This little story is so heartwarming but also heartbreaking! We know of course how focused he is in training, everyone says it, but this really brings home how THICK that wall is that he puts up. For everyone to be shocked at a mere hug... I mean, I know it's his choice to be this way but it must be so painful sometimes!

But so HEARTWARMING that he has so many warm, loving people around him who do what they can to support him!! What a great thing that he ended up at TCC, it's so reassuring to read these comments about skaters interactions with him that he seems to really appreciate and be cheered by. 

AND I've been crying over this for about half an hour now, I think it's crying I needed to do, to get out the tension over this sudden change in his strategy. I sorta can't believe how shocked I was/am. I support it, I just wasn't expecting it!!! Ugh this man!

:sadPooh:

3 hours ago, Umebachi said:

Hence, his choice of the word moya-moya もやもや to describe his feeling is so colourful and provocative - for me it brings to my mind the misty fog clinging over the dark pine trees on a steep mountainside - typical sumie style.  Moya means mist in Japanese, not the light and wispy kind, but the foreboding kind that you find hanging over dark forests.  And it describes that feeling of frustrating, lack of clarity, like a blind man struggling through such a landscape... 

I think the most appropriate English word for this would be 'gloom' - both the emotional and the physical kind. 

5 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Awwwww ... so cute.

I love that at times we get to see the 3A acting their age. The top of the ladies have been so young for so long now but they're always treated and held to the same standards (in their behaviour and how they present themselves, etc) as the top of the men's field, who are usually at least 4 years older and actual adults.  

2 hours ago, Noelle said:

Gloom, or perhaps murky? The more Japanese I learn, the more I feel my native English is inadequate ^^; 

Thank you @glilikoi and @Umebachi for your translations and interpretations!

The difference to me is that gloom carries an emotional heaviness that murky doesn't. Murky gives the feeling of uncertainty, where gloom has a sadness or despair to it. 

34 minutes ago, memae said:

The difference to me is that gloom carries an emotional heaviness that murky doesn't. Murky gives the feeling of uncertainty, where gloom has a sadness or despair to it. 

I agree, gloom is more darkness, sadness and despair, but I was thinking murky can have an atmospheric feeling similar to the heavy misty imagery Umebachi was describing, so it's similar in that sense... we should just stick to もやもや probably!

55 minutes ago, Noelle said:

I agree, gloom is more darkness, sadness and despair, but I was thinking murky can have an atmospheric feeling similar to the heavy misty imagery Umebachi was describing, so it's similar in that sense... we should just stick to もやもや probably!

I'm a teacher but my background is in linguistics (and I'm still slowly working my way through post grad to eventually do a PhD in it) so I live for these kinds of discussions. Maybe I should do my thesis on the semantics of Yuzu's translated interviews. Then I  legitimately get to justify all the time I spend watching his interviews as 'research'. My proposal is due in a month and I still haven't come up with a topic :/  Yuzu to the rescue maybe! 

12 minutes ago, memae said:

I'm a teacher but my background is in linguistics (and I'm still slowly working my way through post grad to eventually do a PhD in it) so I live for these kinds of discussions. Maybe I should do my thesis on the semantics of Yuzu's translated interviews. Then I  legitimately get to justify all the time I spend watching his interviews as 'research'. My proposal is due in a month and I still haven't come up with a topic :/  Yuzu to the rescue maybe! 

As someone who spent half a decade in post-grad study (in Geosciences, so nothing like what you are doing), I can say that is an exquisite thesis topic.  Even better for a dissertation.  Go straight to the PhD - it saves time.  Work on your proposal starting now and know that you will have SO much material to work with and a huge audience for your diz - unlike most that are read by your committee and go into an archive.  And you can even follow his maturation over a decade in how he phrases what he wants to say and how that has evolved,  I'd read it.

1 minute ago, barbara said:

As someone who spent half a decade in post-grad study (in Geosciences, so nothing like what you are doing), I can say that is an exquisite thesis topic.  Even better for a dissertation.  Go straight to the PhD - it saves time.  Work on your proposal starting now and know that you will have SO much material to work with and a huge audience for your diz - unlike most that are read by your committee and go into an archive.  And you can even follow his maturation over a decade in how he phrases what he wants to say and how that has evolved,  I'd read it.

I'd love to go straight to PhD but I wasn't able to because I didn't do undergrad research, hence the current thesis at Masters level.  

I also thought about 'skating English' as a focus of study. Like, if you think of rinks like TCC where the coaches are English speakers but their skaters are from all over the world... English has to act as some sort of lingua franca or pidgin. Yuzu's English wasn't bad before going to TCC (there's a press conference from before he moved where he's laughing at something someone says in English without it being interpreted for him) but he's not the only foreign skater there. I wonder how much of an English vocabulary is needed for the day-to-day training (or any language - remember when we were all wondering if Shoma would go to Eteri?)