General Yuzuru Chat

16 時間前, Terrapinさんが言いました:

I don't know if this video has been posted already (I'm not very good at keeping up with the thread, sorry !) but this interview is hilarious (I love Matsuoka-san thanking Nathan Chen and getting all fired up at the idea of a Yuzu-candle ^^) :free-random-smileys-214:

This is hilarious but at the same time his implying the last scene of Ashita no Joe gives us somewhat uneasy feeling :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

You might know the last scene. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwEjUnDW5Rk

Matsuoka-san:  Stop that, it would make a picture too perfect !  :facepalm: 

3 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

This is hilarious but at the same time his implying the last scene of Ashita no Joe gives us somewhat uneasy feeling :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

You might know the last scene. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwEjUnDW5Rk

Matsuoka-san:  Stop that, it would make a picture too perfect !  :facepalm: 

Actually, I had never heard about this manga / anime before: of course when I used the word 'hilarious', I was referring mainly to Matsuoka's reactions and general way of being (this guy is so fired up all the time, he's unreal !). And I love his interactions with Yuzu so much: I feel like Yuzu can really open himself up with him and even joke around. Now that I've seen the scene you've just sent me the link to, I understand why you would feel uneasy (I myself was very emotional, although I never knew about this character before), and somewhat, it is so fitting Yuzu's mentality: he'd rather give his all and metaphorically die on stage rather than giving up. I am conscious that we are reaching the end of Yuzu's career and I am feeling bittersweet about it: I can't wait for him to be relieved from all this pressure (from the others and himself), but at the same time, I think he wishes to leave with a bang, in a very Yuzu-dramatic way. And I think he's also trying to tell us that he's reaching his ultimate limits, but that he wouldn't be himself if he didn't want to overcome this impossible wall rising yet again in front of him. It's do or die for him. And I admire him so much for this ! 

On 2019/12/19 at 午前12時57分, Terrapinさんが言いました:

Actually, I had never heard about this manga / anime before: of course when I used the word 'hilarious', I was referring mainly to Matsuoka's reactions and general way of being (this guy is so fired up all the time, he's unreal !). And I love his interactions with Yuzu so much: I feel like Yuzu can really open himself up with him and even joke around. Now that I've seen the scene you've just sent me the link to, I understand why you would feel uneasy (I myself was very emotional, although I never knew about this character before), and somewhat, it is so fitting Yuzu's mentality: he'd rather give his all and metaphorically die on stage rather than giving up. I am conscious that we are reaching the end of Yuzu's career and I am feeling bittersweet about it: I can't wait for him to be relieved from all this pressure (from the others and himself), but at the same time, I think he wishes to leave with a bang, in a very Yuzu-dramatic way. And I think he's also trying to tell us that he's reaching his ultimate limits, but that he wouldn't be himself if he didn't want to overcome this impossible wall rising yet again in front of him. It's do or die for him. And I admire him so much for this ! 

No offence.  It's so funny because this scene is really known to Japanese people (too famous, so sometimes used even as a joke), and Yuzuru was too good to imitate.  Too good and have embarrassed Matsuoka-san.  He is such a Spo-kon boy after all :tumblr_inline_n2pje2YFXq1qdlkyg:

If you happen to hear any Japanese saying "burn out to white ash" something, I'm 90% sure the person is implying this scene.

(The post-fin of Ashita no Joe has not been told, by the way.  He might have survived.)

1 hour ago, airi said:

What recently said suggest retiring after Worlds? I mean, that could happen for different reasons, but why being open to go to 4CC makes it more possible? One has nothing to do with other imo.

Due to the interviews done after GPF. Abt burning candle and all that. And challenging the 4A. 

4CC is cos Yuzu seldom competes at 4CC and its one of the competitions he hasnt won before. He has finally won Skate Canada this season, 4CC is another .  I.e. he wants to win the titles he hasnt won before and wrap it up.

If Yuzu lands the 4A at WC, skates clean and Nathan still wins WC, then it is high probability Yuzu will retire. Cos that means no matter what he does, ISU wants Nathan to be the next star.

11 minutes ago, Purple said:

Due to the interviews done after GPF. Abt burning candle and all that. And challenging the 4A. 

4CC is cos Yuzu seldom competes at 4CC and its one of the competitions he hasnt won before. He has finally won Skate Canada this season, 4CC is another .  I.e. he wants to win the titles he hasnt won before and wrap it up.

If Yuzu lands the 4A at WC, skates clean and Nathan still wins WC, then it is high probability Yuzu will retire. Cos that means no matter what he does, ISU wants Nathan to be the next star.

I was asking specifically about why talking about maybe going to 4CC makes this more probable, because I don't see this logic. He probably wants to have this win before the ends of his career, but that doesn't mean it has to be the last season of his career. And he didn't go when he wasn't fully healthy, which is, sadly, most of his senior career...

Talking about burning candle says to me nothing more than Yuzu is a nerd, honestly, but ofc retiring can happen, I just wouldn't take every single word he says as a 'hint' about that. He says million things that contradict each other about this, anyway.

I agree with @airi Yuzu said from the beginning of the season that he wants to do more competitions and he needs more mileage on the 5 quad layout and maybe even on 4A, instead of just going straight into Worlds with it. Before, he was either injured or it wasn't worth the effort, but this time it might be. I don't think it needs to tell us anything about his plans.

I get why people are worried and there have been some comments here and there, but overall, I'd actually be surprised if he retired at the end of this season. It sounds like he still has things he wants to achieve. I'm not sure he'd be happy with just doing 4A once - and that is in the admittedly unlikely case he'll land a clean, +GOE version of it on first attempt... it's 4A, after all, not 4Lz or 4Lo. And I think he might want to try different layouts, too. And maybe even try to work towards a 6 quads attempt. But even leaving aside the crazier stuff, I'd be surprised if he'd be happy with not trying to perfect 4A. Also, when I first heard the candle bit, it didn't sound to me as dramatic as it seems to have to a lot of other people... He is 25, he was the oldest at GPF, so one way or another, his career is nearing its end. But that doesn't mean it has to end this season. It could, but it could also end next season or even after the Olympics, if he's feeling crazy enough.

At the end of the day, I think it depends on how honest he's been in his comments. How much Nathan fires him up and how exactly he feels about the scoring: if he's feeling as hopeless as most of us, or if he's feeling rather more fired up and angered and wanting to fight back - through his skating. It could be either of those.

But another thing I mentioned elsewhere, is also whether he's ready to retire, ready for a life without competitions and I really don't think he is. I think it's not unlikely he'll stick around and find new goals, because that's something he knows how to do and less scary than stepping away from competitions.

And lastly, it might also depend a bit on the result of these JNats. Because if he wins by a landslide, he'll possibly worry about the state of Japanese Men's FS and perhaps also feel a responsibility to stick around, either until Shoma gets used to his new surroundings, or until the younger guys catch up. If not, it'll be one less thing for him to consider. Not that he should, but we know what he's like.

Bottom line is, we don't know what he's going to do, and honestly, I'm not sure he does either. He'll maybe do a lot of thinking over the next few months, and perhaps most of all after the Worlds FS.

1 hour ago, airi said:

What recently said suggest retiring after Worlds? I mean, that could happen for different reasons, but why being open to go to 4CC makes it more possible? One has nothing to do with other imo.

There have been too many signs, from the very beginning of this season. Not only through his interviews or this recent 4CC comment, although he did mention jinx breaking earlier this season.  IMO the choices he has made so far point to that direction, but of course everyone interprets things differently. I might be wrong (I hope I am LOL).

Anyway there's no point debating on this really, so let's not dwell on it. We just need to appreciate and enjoy every chances we get to see him in competitions now! :tumblr_inline_mm2wnxgTbV1qz4rgp:

26 minutes ago, airi said:

I was asking specifically about why talking about maybe going to 4CC makes this more probable, because I don't see this logic. He probably wants to have this win before the ends of his career, but that doesn't mean it has to be the last season of his career. And he didn't go when he wasn't fully healthy, which is, sadly, most of his senior career...

Talking about burning candle says to me nothing more than Yuzu is a nerd, honestly, but ofc retiring can happen, I just wouldn't take every single word he says as a 'hint' about that. He says million things that contradict each other about this, anyway.

Didnt Yuzu say candle burn the brightest just before it goes out? He wants to go out with a bang.

It's the whole tone of his interview these days. That's how other athletes talk before they retire.

But the main reason is Yuzu dislikes getting 2nd place. Which all intents and purposes(very obviously) show the judges will give the win to Nathan. Yuzu cant stand losing.

The main reason I see Yuzu continuing is cos Japan still needs him in men's singles. With Shoma's coaching situation, Japan needs a sure medal contender.

51 minutes ago, Purple said:

Didnt Yuzu say candle burn the brightest just before it goes out? He wants to go out with a bang.

It's the whole tone of his interview these days. That's how other athletes talk before they retire.

But the main reason is Yuzu dislikes getting 2nd place. Which all intents and purposes(very obviously) show the judges will give the win to Nathan. Yuzu cant stand losing.

The main reason I see Yuzu continuing is cos Japan still needs him in men's singles. With Shoma's coaching situation, Japan needs a sure medal contender.

He also said that he want to compete more with Nathan and others, that he will go to Beijing if he feels he could win(*he may indeed feel he can't if he's clean and lose against Nathan, but it's quite a while to Beijing still, million things happen in the middle of Olympic cycle), that he wants to do all the quads in competition etc. He says different things, fans exaggerate anything he says these days. My opinion is he himself doesn't know yet, that is what all he's been saying suggest.

And as I said 'candle burn the brightest...' quote is very nerdy of Yuzu, lol. And does anyone doubt he will go out with a bang when it's time?

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

I agree with @airi Yuzu said from the beginning of the season that he wants to do more competitions and he needs more mileage on the 5 quad layout and maybe even on 4A, instead of just going straight into Worlds with it. Before, he was either injured or it wasn't worth the effort, but this time it might be. I don't think it needs to tell us anything about his plans.

I get why people are worried and there have been some comments here and there, but overall, I'd actually be surprised if he retired at the end of this season. It sounds like he still has things he wants to achieve. I'm not sure he'd be happy with just doing 4A once - and that is in the admittedly unlikely case he'll land a clean, +GOE version of it on first attempt... it's 4A, after all, not 4Lz or 4Lo. And I think he might want to try different layouts, too. And maybe even try to work towards a 6 quads attempt. But even leaving aside the crazier stuff, I'd be surprised if he'd be happy with not trying to perfect 4A. Also, when I first heard the candle bit, it didn't sound to me as dramatic as it seems to have to a lot of other people... He is 25, he was the oldest at GPF, so one way or another, his career is nearing its end. But that doesn't mean it has to end this season. It could, but it could also end next season or even after the Olympics, if he's feeling crazy enough.

At the end of the day, I think it depends on how honest he's been in his comments. How much Nathan fires him up and how exactly he feels about the scoring: if he's feeling as hopeless as most of us, or if he's feeling rather more fired up and angered and wanting to fight back - through his skating. It could be either of those.

But another thing I mentioned elsewhere, is also whether he's ready to retire, ready for a life without competitions and I really don't think he is. I think it's not unlikely he'll stick around and find new goals, because that's something he knows how to do and less scary than stepping away from competitions.

And lastly, it might also depend a bit on the result of these JNats. Because if he wins by a landslide, he'll possibly worry about the state of Japanese Men's FS and perhaps also feel a responsibility to stick around, either until Shoma gets used to his new surroundings, or until the younger guys catch up. If not, it'll be one less thing for him to consider. Not that he should, but we know what he's like.

Bottom line is, we don't know what he's going to do, and honestly, I'm not sure he does either. He'll maybe do a lot of thinking over the next few months, and perhaps most of all after the Worlds FS.

Javi skated his last championship at 27, nearly 28.  If the ISU doesn't destroy Yuzu and he stays injury free, there is no reason I could see him wanting to retire before that age, meaning he would be younger than Javi was at retirement for the 2020 Olympics.  But, I really think unfair judging could kill his love of competition.  He has to win.  And he should.

The judging would certainly put me off - but I have no killer instinct, if something becomes unpleasant I tend to simply withdraw from it.  He’s a champion and has the killer instinct in spades.  None of us can know what he’s thinking - we can speculate from now until the day r********* is announced, but it’s pointless, and forgive me, a bit tedious to have all this conjecture every time he has a press conference, or someone does an interview about him, etc etc.  Can we not just enjoy the ride while it lasts?  This reminds me of someone very close to me who bemoans the short time we have together from the moment we meet til the end of the visit, and tbh ruins the time we do have together.

7 hours ago, MatchaBeans said:

Sounds like he's open to going to 4CC. It feels more and more like he's wrapping up with Worlds 2020. This might be the third to last time we get to see him compete. I wanna cry... ... :sadPooh: but whatever makes you happy Yuzu   :cri:

I think it's way too soon to make that assumption!!