General Yuzuru Chat

10 hours ago, Henni147 said:

When Jason's coaching change was announced last year, I got super excited, thinking of how much Yuzu had learned and adapted from Javi in 6 1/2 years. So I followed the process of Yuzu's and Jason's mutual influence very carefully during the last season.

Retrospectively I would say that Jason as a training mate is pretty much the best that could happen to Yuzu after Javi's retirement. In an era, where programs are constructed with tech-focus and max-output, it's good to have someone beside you, who reminds you every day how important, satisfying and beautiful a total package is.

Er........ not to put Jason down and I'm sure Yuzu has been able to learn and absorb things from Jason as he does with all his other competitors but with regards to him doing split jumps, Y spiral, ina bauer, and hydroblading.... he's been doing those since he was a junior (yes even the y-spiral there's a clip of a mushroom Yuzu doing it). I'm not trying to be contrary but I just wanted to give more credit to Shizuka who is known for her ina bauer and y-spiral and who's had a deep impact and influence on Yuzu's skating life (I'd argue even more than Plush or Weir).

Yuzu himself has said that his ina bauer is a tribute to Shizuka.

10 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Er........ not to put Jason down and I'm sure Yuzu has been able to learn and absorb things from Jason as he does with all his other competitors but with regards to him doing split jumps, Y spiral, ina bauer, and hydroblading.... he's been doing those since he was a junior (yes even the y-spiral there's a clip of a mushroom Yuzu doing it). I'm not trying to be contrary but I just wanted to give more credit to Shizuka who is known for her ina bauer and y-spiral and who's had a deep impact and influence on Yuzu's skating life (I'd argue even more than Plush or Weir).

Yuzu himself has said that his ina bauer is a tribute to Shizuka.

I agree with this and I often think that Shizuka doesn't get enough credit when it comes to influences on Yuzu's skating. Maybe because there's always more talk about Johnny and Plush in general, I don't know. I have recently rewatched her free skate from the Olympics and the influences are so evident <3

Spoiler

I wouldn't give that much or any credit to Jason, though.

Hiya everyone long time no see.

Looking foward to Yuzuru X Oda and hopefully Rika Group Interview during Faoi! Rika is bigger in Japan so I would assume they would want a group interview with her and Yuzu as they are the biggest stars in Japan right now!

Hopefully it would be like the Marin X Oda X Akiko X Yuzu Interview earlier on

22 hours ago, Henni147 said:

When Jason's coaching change was announced last year, I got super excited, thinking of how much Yuzu had learned and adapted from Javi in 6 1/2 years. So I followed the process of Yuzu's and Jason's mutual influence very carefully during the last season.

Retrospectively I would say that Jason as a training mate is pretty much the best that could happen to Yuzu after Javi's retirement. In an era, where programs are constructed with tech-focus and max-output, it's good to have someone beside you, who reminds you every day how important, satisfying and beautiful a total package is.

While I don't doubt Jason and Yuzuru could learn abit from each other , do you really think Yuzuru need anyone to remind him what a total package is, when he already was and focus on that way before Jason come to TCC ? Jason's presence won't change how he think and aim for his ideal skating. Yuzuru's flexibilty, musicality, transitions are already everywhere in his program since novice days. He does deep and long IB/hydroblade in his ex for years. I don't like how some people often said Yuzuru need X or Y to replace Javi, as if he couldn't train on his own, with his own motivation. 

And one more thing, Jason did landed some good 3A this season, but all from long/telegraph entry. He often struggle with second 3A in LP, and his success rate (fully rotated with +GOE) this season is about 50% so I couldn't say it become much better and consistent. This is not to put Jason down, but maybe don't give him or anyone too much credits in Yuzuru's skating when its clearly not. 

@kaeryth @sallycinnamon @Katt @LadyLou

I fear that my wording was unfortunate. Gomenasai :grouphug:

Of course, I agree with all of you. Yuzu's Ina Bauer is a tribute to Shizuka in the first place and if I remember correctly, the Hydroblading is inspired by Shae-Lynne... and Yuzu has been very flexible since... forever? He has done the layback Biellmann spin in his novice days already. Split jumps and multiple difficult spirals, too (Y-spiral, Biellmann-spiral, ...). That's nothing new.

What I wanted to say is: It must have been quite a while ago that Yuzu did Y-spirals and split jumps in front of cameras. I can't remember the last footage tbh. Does anyone know, when he did the last recorded Y-spiral before 2018?

EDIT: @LadyLou Right, there was a split jump in Hana ni Nare :yes:

I can totally picture Yuzu and Jason joking around in practice, who is more flexible or can keep this and that position longer. And it's not unlikely that Yuzu thought: Hey, why not bringing these moves back?!

I didn't want to say that Jason inspired Yuzu to do Ina and Hydroblading in specific (of course not). You might be right and it has absolutely 0 to do with Jason, but I think that in his presence at TCC flexibility is a bit more in focus again. I mean: Jason does spirals and split jumps in nearly every program (they're his signature moves after all). And Yuzu is that type of skater who watches other great skaters carefully and adapts their skills in his own unique style.

You're probably right and I overestimated Jason's role and influence. You cannot expect big things after one year, aye? It just makes me very happy that my two favorite skaters practice together. Sure, Yuzu doesn't "need" to be remembered what a total package is, it's his career goal either way. But I still think it's important and good to have other skaters around you with similar values and attitude towards skating.

PS: Heaven forbid that I see Jason as a "replacement" for Javi :laughing: No one can replace Javi. Not as a skater, not as a character and especially not the journey and strong bond with Yuzu. Period.

Spoiler

PS the second: Jason's 3A had a success rate of 60% during the last season (combos included). That's no reason to celebrate indeed. However, at IDF, Golden Spin and US Nationals he landed all his 3A's with positive GOE. 8 or 9 in a row. I was really surprised and (despite the telegraphing) the quality was decent, too. At 4CC and WC he couldn't reproduce that unfortunately, but overall I can see a development :agree:

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

And Yuzu is that type of skater who watches other great skaters carefully and adapts their skills in his own unique style.

You think so? Imo Zu has his own view how he wants his skating to look like. View that was developed by him long time ago (around 2002-2006 olympics). It has nothing to do with anybody currently competing.
He had spirals long time ago in his programs. Even as a novice! Spiral was in TFTT. And in Seimei2.0. And Origin of course. He has problems with holding them when they are in second half of program, when he is tired. And i'm sure some time ago there was footage of him doing y position off-ice (during one of media days?:scratch3:). It really can't be his own idea?

If Boyang decided to join TCC last year, would you call Zu's current 4lz attempts a Boyang influence? And Pudding is only thanks to Alina's POTO?

I think Sendai needs another Shizuka postument. This time with Y-spiral.

Yuzu has said several times that he watches other skaters "like a hawk"... I'd also add like a bower bird, examining every "shiny!!!" and deciding if and how he can make it better, and his own (let's not forget why he went to TCC in the first place, not so much Brian and Tracey as watching Javi's work and wanting some of that himself).  And I doubt he ever stops, even if others don't seem to have anything to teach him. I would be surprised if there is any skater he has worked with or competed against he has analysed and thought of borrowing from... but in the end, it comes down to making it his own.