General Yuzuru Chat

Funny, I've been thinking about the goat debate as well as famous people who were fans of Yuzu and was about to start threads on it.  Third time something like this has happened this month.  Don't have time to contribute much to the discussion now

Just popped in because this came up on my Google news feed.

https://www.factmag.com/2019/04/24/kelly-moran-origin/

Never heard of Kelly Moran but I assume she's at least somewhat famous.

I've also been looking for that Boris Becker retweet of Yuzu's Laureus message.  Probably an indication of being a fan unless he did that for all the Laureus stuff.

16 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Funny, I've been thinking about the goat debate as well as famous people who were fans of Yuzu and was about to start threads on it.

I started this thread post NHK'17 injury with all the well wishes from skaters to Yuzu to cheer the planet up and it's kinda evolved into adding anyone praising Yuzu.

12 minutes ago, Fay said:

Google Translate tells me the title is " the reason why Hanyu is the greatest and most respected men's figure skater" and the first line talks about the joy he brings to others. 

It's basically a praise-filled summary of his talents as an athletes and an artist, and talks about his intention to go for the 4A. It quotes Tara Lipinski saying that the joy he brings to fans, and his charisma and presence on the ice, are like nobody else's. 

And the writer starts off by saying ' Hanyu Yuzuru is the greatest male figure skater. Any American with some knowledge of figure skating knows it is safe to say that.'  - LOL

'And the writer starts off by saying ' Hanyu Yuzuru is the greatest male figure skater. Any American with some knowledge of figure skating knows it is safe to say that.'  '

I love the shade here!! (intentional or otherwise)

28 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

'And the writer starts off by saying ' Hanyu Yuzuru is the greatest male figure skater. Any American with some knowledge of figure skating knows it is safe to say that.'  '

I love the shade here!! (intentional or otherwise)

Yeah, when I saw that I had to chuckle. Granted, it's filtered through Google Translate, but still. Layers of meaning are packed into that sentence. :pouty:

7 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I'm not talking about personal favorites, of which, then there would be a huge list of candidates.

But I'm not talking about personal favorites either. Several people do mention Asada, Ito, and Yagudin for GOATs. If you are simply talking about a small sample of people/ North American media who talk about GOATs, then that would indeed fall under "whom you're talking to" category.

That particular paragraph was to point out the contradictions in including/excluding some over others.  Almost no one points to  Grafstrom or Salchow, with 10 world titles, in the GOAT debate. 

Well, here again, there's something to be said about how GOAT is mostly a North American concept, and how people don't usually follow the history of a sport and have recency bias.

I think Yagudin edges out Plushenko because Yagudin was a more complete skater with more consistently memorable programs. 

Yes.

19 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Maybe just make that GOAT thread, as this is OT.

I was wondering about that myself though at this point, not sure how much more people have to say on the matter.

@sallycinnamon @Hydroblade @robin @yuzuangel

sorry to let it get this far, but if you want to move posts I created a new thread (not that it's necessary. I'm sure people can just copy and paste).  First post on the subject is on page 4805

21 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I was wondering about that myself though at this point, not sure how much more people have to say on the matter.

@sallycinnamon @Hydroblade @robin @yuzuangel

sorry to let it get this far, but if you want to move posts I created a new thread (not that it's necessary. I'm sure people can just copy and paste).  First post on the subject is on page 4805

I posted there, and will stick to this topic there now.