General Yuzuru Chat

Thoughts on Yuzu and Nessie - I am actually hoping some other skater hits the 4A first.  I know that's rank heresy here but I'd hate to see Yuzu killing his skating career by getting some injury incurred while pursuing the 4A.  There is more to the future of skating than a 4A and I think if that challenge is removed from the table Yuzu can focus on those other aspects of skating, many of which he is already the clear master.  His advantage lies not only with his command of the PCS elements but also in his ability to make jumps that are not only technically perfect but an integral part of his programs.  Yuzu's ability to handle dense, detailed choreography is one that gives him an advantage over most other skaters.  Given all that I think it would be to his long-term advantage to concentrate on putting together and performing programs that would establish his reputation as a 'poet on ice'.

About the 4A.

Before I knew about Yuzuru I was really depressed. Seeing his beauty, grace, and power on the ice gave me hope for life. I chased after this idea of being "free". At the time I thought that meant having no anxiety and feeling unburdened.

During Rostelcom I prayed if Yuzuru was hurt he wouldn't skate. But, he did anyway. Over the next couple of days I came to the conclusion being free meant if you felt convicted about something (like Yuzuru about skating in Russia) that you do it regardless of what you "should" do or what people might think about it.

Yuzuru taught me that lesson, so I want him to continue being free. I pray he'll get that quad axel if that is what he wants.

It’s very interesting to read all your above comments about Yuzu’s GOAT status! 

Yuzu has reached his position through his genuine love for the sport. He mentioned in one of the interview that he thinks about skating ALL the time; he shows his  joy when he’s on ice ( which we don’t see in lots of others). He said “ I want to skate” and did a spiral while filming the Magnificient. He gave the ice an incredible kiss in Haru yo Koi. That love combines with his hard working and idealistic personality has created so many memorable performances that move the audience to tears and touched the hearts and souls of fans deeply! Who can do this?

When he broke the record of 300, he did it with a large margin, over 20 points then did it again 2 weeks later with more than 10 points! He’s extra that way!

To the fans he is THE ABSOLUTE CHAMPION and THE GOAT! 

9 hours ago, micaelis said:

Thoughts on Yuzu and Nessie - I am actually hoping some other skater hits the 4A first.  I know that's rank heresy here but I'd hate to see Yuzu killing his skating career by getting some injury incurred while pursuing the 4A.  There is more to the future of skating than a 4A and I think if that challenge is removed from the table Yuzu can focus on those other aspects of skating, many of which he is already the clear master.  His advantage lies not only with his command of the PCS elements but also in his ability to make jumps that are not only technically perfect but an integral part of his programs.  Yuzu's ability to handle dense, detailed choreography is one that gives him an advantage over most other skaters.  Given all that I think it would be to his long-term advantage to concentrate on putting together and performing programs that would establish his reputation as a 'poet on ice'.

But it would make him so sad to not achieve it, it's one of his life-long dreams. 

7 hours ago, SuperMin said:

1.  In short, yes, to some degree.  Technology aids the evolution of human sciences to achieve more in most sports, not just figure skating.  Quads are a good example of this- now compared to a decade ago.

2. IMO- GOAT represents 2 main concepts.  1st advancing the sport with new techniques and feats and 2nd achieving feats that others have not. In that sense, GOAT isn’t just a person, it’s the history of that person.  It is inevitable, that Yuzu will get beaten, his longevity in this sport up to now has been a bit of a miracle. However, the GOAT title comes with matching or exceeding his lifetime feats and no one currently skating is even close to that (e.g.  world record, number for “firsts”, medals galore which includes the 2 OGMs...etc...)

As for the quad axel- I don’t believe Yuzu needs it to be the GOAT.  I think he’s continuing to do what GOATs do, which is advance the sport to new horizons. 

8 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

2. What makes a skater the GOAT? Does this term truly mean much since its accounting the future/unknown.

My thoughts on this are as follows: the feats and achievements help establish G.O.A.T. status, but by themselves they are not what makes a G.O.A.T. It's the whole person, the whole package, the background story, everything. It's the longevity in a sport but it's also the passionate engagement in it. It's the ability to take the sport somewhere it's never gone before. It's about being better than everyone else but by doing something new and innovative. I think Yuzu ticks all these boxes. To dredge up an example from another sport, compare Mark Spitz and Michael Phelps. Before Phelps, people would have said Spitz was the G.O.A.T. of swimming - he won seven medals at one Olympics and it took years, decades, for people to beat his records and surpass him. But Phelps swam and competed at the top level for nearly two decades, attending 5 Olympics and medalling at 4 of them- a nearly unprecedented run (most swimmers last about 3 or 4 years at the elite level, BTW). Along the way he had some serious ups and downs in life (arrested for smoking weed, come on!). but came back stronger and emerged victorious after each one. IMO that's what makes a G.O.A.T. - someone who wins at sport and in life, no matter what crap life throws at them. That's why Yuzu is now, and might always be, the G.O.A.T. It's everything about him, not just the skating, that earns him the title. 

Anyway, about high-risk jumps: if Uncle Voronov can challenge the 4Lo at 31, and succeed, then obviously there are many good ways to mitigate the risk and I'm sure Yuzu will use them. 

He has won the hearts of so many people....from all walks of life..from different corners of the world.

Our money follows our hearts=hanyuconomy.

I have a vinyl addiction and confirmed audiophile affliction: I am actually spending time and money on something other than music!'

thank you for this topic and the answers....I loved reading this thread...although the eyes became a little misty here and there. 

Yuzu would make a wonderful ambassador for Japan and seriously would have a successful diplomatic career!