General Yuzuru Chat

You know, it's 4am in Japan. I have no idea if it's the same for sports stuff, but for music, press releases with news were often: "To only be published after 5am JST", which was also in time for morning TV (like our beloved Mezamashi lol). So in the unlikely case that anonymous tip had any truth in it, there's still time (22nd also isn't over yet in Canada, I think)... (Although with JGP - any Brian and/or Tracy sightings? On Facebook they mentioned 4 or 5 skaters from TCC there, apparently - and Shae in Japan and Brian's show in Muskoka on Saturday and Javi also around there, I'm not holding my breath lol)

This is in light of "4000 members, so cue in media day!" hopes...:peekapooh:

I made some scans from Dancin'on The Edge magazine cuz there're some really cute photos form PC that I didn't saw before so decided to share during this drought period

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Dancinon-Edge-平昌フィギュア報道写真集-スポーツニッポン新聞社/dp/B07D4ZP9N8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534968829&sr=8-3&keywords=dancing+on+the+edge

I know that not everybody is OK with sharing magazine's stuff so admins can feel free to delete the post if needed

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156337619@N03/albums/72157700169564954

Спойлер

img018 img005 img010 img019

lol S

3 minutes ago, Lunna said:

I made some scans from Dancin'on The Edge magazine cuz there're some really cute photos form PC that I didn't saw before so decided to share during this drought period

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Dancinon-Edge-平昌フィギュア報道写真集-スポーツニッポン新聞社/dp/B07D4ZP9N8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534968829&sr=8-3&keywords=dancing+on+the+edge

I know that not everybody is OK with sharing magazine's stuff so admins can feel free to delete the post if needed

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156337619@N03/albums/72157700169564954

Hide contents

img018 img005 img010 img019

lol Shoma with those sleeves hahaha 

Yuzu was totally gorgeous at PC! :tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw:

Simple question having nothing to do with greatness or media day or anything else that's been discussed recently.  4000 posts are almost here for this thread.  Will it hit 5000 by year's end?  That's it, that's the question.  Considering that the season hasn't started yet I anticipate the rate of posts will increase substantially once things are underway.  I'm also thinking that the thread might double itself (10000) before the end of next year since with membership increasing there are more persons to post.  That prediction is a bit more dicey however.

5 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

i think i AM bringing a goat plush for GPF >___>

I think this is a great idea! Hydro, you could start a whole new tradition!

We should consider buying some and wrapping a small paper banner around the goat's back and mid-drift (taped together at the bottom) with these words printed on the banner:

Yuzuru Hanyu
G. O. A. T.
Greatest of All Time

It would be cool if the cameras zoomed in on one of these on the ice. (They are pretty small, though.)

2 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

I think this is a great idea! Hydro, you could start a whole new tradition!

We should consider buying some and wrapping a small paper banner around the goat's back and mid-drift (taped together at the bottom) with these words printed on the banner:

Yuzuru Hanyu
G. O. A. T.
Greatest of All Time

It would be cool if the cameras zoomed in on one of these on the ice. (They are pretty small, though.)

Goats with capes! :rofl:

Now i'm tempted to make my banner goat themed too...

:rofl:

8 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I don’t really care about the GOAT stuff- but - I’m tired of comparisons with Dick Button which laud his consistency and supremacy.  Immediately post war the best young (because not enlisted/ exhausted) North American ( because they had intact rinks to practice/ compete on) man was bound to win everything in sight for at least 6/10 years because it takes a long time for populations and infrastructure to recover, and expensive sports facilities were bottom of the list of priorities.  He had no real rivals unlike Curry/Cranston,  Boitano/Orser,  Pluschenko/ Yagudin,  Hanyu/ Chan/ Fernández.

Great points! I'd like to also add that the competitive pool did not have nearly the depth of today. Competitive figure skating during the 40s and 50s was exclusively the domain of a small sampling of folks from western countries (Europe and North America). It was nowhere near as international as today's fields. 

Plus, it's not fair to compare Dick Button's consistency with Yuzu's. Dick Burton pioneered the sport by landing the first double axel and triple jump (a loop) in competition. He faced nowhere near the physical demands of today's skating. Even Button himself recently said in an interview that there's no way he could have performed a quad jump. 

Men's figure skating has never been as high-stakes and physically demanding as today. We went from 2-3 quads in the 1998-2002 era, down to 0-1 quad from 2003-2010. Back up to 2 quads from 2010-2014, and all of a sudden to 3-6 quads in the last several years, and difficult quads to boot. Given just how crazy the quads arms race has become, it is simply not reasonable to expect a top skater today to have the same consistency and number of mistakes as skaters from any previous era. The sport today is so high risk and cutting-edge that more mistakes are the name of the game. And given this changed landscape, Yuzu's consistency level has been pretty amazing. As Jackie Wong noted, Yuzu's dominance and consistency in an era when parity and diversity (of winners) should be the norm is nothing short of extraordinary. 

Interrupting your serious discussion with my random discovery. :9: 

I was trying to search for a full broadcast of The Ice 2011, and found this blog:

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/juli_2010/e/5f9dc7086d61bc3a5bb2a2f737364cbb 

I google-translated it (because I'm THAT bored) and this part caught my interest: 

Well, I wanted to see Yuzu's "Romeo", 
definitely I will fall in love! 
At the other ice show, when asked "What is Juliet?" And he said to the audience that "You are here"
It is useless, 
if it is too lovely Romeo Juliet will be willing to die together. 

Cue squealing! :embSwan:  

Finally, when everyone leaves, only one Yunz jumps out, and this may be flying? When thinking, 4 rotations in front of you! 

Yuzu, 
I liked the strength of the loser that does not suit the smiling soft smile from before, but after experiencing the big event of the earthquake, I became more mentally strong, the more the loser became stronger , I think that got rooted. 
This year's Yunu was a pleasure 

Cue "aww, my heart!" :softYuzu:   

BTW, if anyone knows where to find the full broadcast of The Ice 2011 (if there is one), please share it to this poor (bored) soul. :snonegai: