General Yuzuru Chat

12 minutes ago, Whee1000 said:

Sorry if I missed the boat, but what were Javi's words?

Javi was talking about himself, being only 27 and yet being in pain from the long term effects that skating at such a professional level has.

Here: (I'll leave translating to the resident Spanish speaking members, I understand most of it, but have trouble translating properly ^_^; )

-Si con 26 años se sentía viejo en el mundo del patinaje artístico, ¿con 27 ya ni hablamos no?

-(ríe) Bueno, sí me siento. Al fin y al cabo es una carrera deportiva y una profesión que desgasta mucho y muy rápido, no sólo físicamente, mentalmente también. Muchas veces la gente no se da cuenta de lo que sufre el cuerpo y las represalias que tiene en el futuro, los dolores que tienes. Muchas cosas no se piensan y no nos damos cuenta, el levantarte con 27 años y que te duela hasta el alma es difícil.

Source: https://www.granadahoy.com/deportes/Levantarte-anos-BduelaBBhasta-almaB-dificil_0_1267673401.html

While Javi has his own issues - particularly his knees - I'm not aware of any big injuries (aside from the Boston thing, but to be fair, I also haven't researched properly). And still, he's in pain. I don't think I want to imagine what it already probably is like for Yuzu, who has had multiple injuries to slowly chip away at chances of a regular life after retiring.

5 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Javi was talking about himself, being only 27 and yet being in pain from the long term effects that skating at such a professional level has.

Here: (I'll leave translating to the resident Spanish speaking members, I understand most of it, but have trouble translating properly ^_^; )

Source: https://www.granadahoy.com/deportes/Levantarte-anos-BduelaBBhasta-almaB-dificil_0_1267673401.html

While Javi has his own issues - particularly his knees - I'm not aware of any big injuries (aside from the Boston thing, but to be fair, I also haven't researched properly). And still, he's in pain. I don't think I want to imagine what it already probably is like for Yuzu, who has had multiple injuries to slowly chip away at chances of a regular life after retiring.

:peek:

- If you felt old at 26 in the figure skating world, at 27, well... (this phrase was a bit hard to translate haha sorry)
- (laughs) Well, yeah, i feel old. In the end it is a sports career and a profession that wears you out a lot and quickly, not only physically but also mentally. Most of the time people don't realize how much your body suffers and the consequences it has in the long term, the pain you feel. A lot of things are done without thinking and we don't realize, waking up at 27 with everything hurting is hard.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:00 AM, Xen said:

Oh I think he can pull it off. I mean, he has Shae-Lynn for reference, and now Jason is a rinkmate. Plenty plenty of references.

Never say never, else he'll take it up as a personal challenge, and then force us to eat our words.

Edit: I don't think he could do proper riverdance steps as part of a stsq, but maybe as a chsq? He was doing the toe-taps for Yagudin's "winter" at PC gala practice, and I think he has fast enough feet for it. Also, his SS style is very agility based-he can do the turns fast enough to hit them to the music. There is also plenty of music to choose from, but what about a "folk traditional music" medley? What if we start with the pan-pipes, fiddles and flutes of irish folk music, and end up with the taiko drumming and shakuhachi of japan? o_O

That would be very creative! 

And for the record, I have not forgotten Shae and Victor's Riverdance. They should have won Nagano with it, they only didn't because of corrupt judging.

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That would be very creative! 

And for the record, I have not forgotten Shae and Victor's Riverdance. They should won Nagano with it, they only didn't because of corrupt judging.

I watched it a while ago and i was :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: it was really nice!

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

And for the record, I have not forgotten Shae and Victor's Riverdance. They should have won Nagano with it, they only didn't because of corrupt judging.

:offtopic:

Spoiler

I love B/K and I LOVE their Riverdance.... But I was drawn more to A/P's Romeo and Juliet. Not sure if Shae and Victor would have ever beaten G/P given the judging but they should've at least gotten silver.

I was never a big fan of B/K... yes, I"m a bad Canadian... I was far more into the R/J of A/P and disliked the Canadian media going on and on about Riverdance. It made me feel like a traitor that i preferred other teams. Yes, it was entertaining, but I think my dislike of Shae as a skater probably had a lot to do with it... however, giving us Seimei has gone a long way towards me appreciating her more... And I wonder if Yuzu has chosen her again this year for his free program... time will tell....

On 8/22/2018 at 7:02 PM, Moria Polonius said:

4000 members!

Edit: Wait. So instead of Poohs, now I'm supposed to bring goats? Lol, it'd be so cool if everybody threw goats instead of Poohs at at least one competition.

4000 memebers and almost 4000 pages! 

Just for the sake of seing his reaction i’d do that, i’d bring goats and throw them on the ice. But with notes like, hey we mean GOAT!!

2 hours ago, nagini said:

4000 memebers and almost 4000 pages! 

Just for the sake of seing his reaction i’d do that, i’d bring goats and throw them on the ice. But with notes like, hey we mean GOAT!!

"A goat for the GOAT!" :devilYuzu:

5 hours ago, liv said:

I was never a big fan of B/K... yes, I"m a bad Canadian... I was far more into the R/J of A/P and disliked the Canadian media going on and on about Riverdance. It made me feel like a traitor that i preferred other teams. Yes, it was entertaining, but I think my dislike of Shae as a skater probably had a lot to do with it... however, giving us Seimei has gone a long way towards me appreciating her more... And I wonder if Yuzu has chosen her again this year for his free program... time will tell....

Well, ice dance is to some extent a matter of taste, just like dance is, and not everyone likes Irish dancing. The thing about B/K is that, just like the Duchesnays before them, they were big innovators who bucked a lot of the prevailing wisdom ( which was for very 'classic', lyrical dances and/or strictly ballroom) of ice dance at the time, and who should have had that recognized with a medal or two. It's no coincidence that they won Worlds the year after the Salt Lake City judging corruption debacle caused ISU to rethink their scoring systems.

But to bring this back on topic, it would be really fun to see what Yuzu would come up with if he tried to interpret another culture's dance forms in his programs. It's something most people are not used to seeing, either - an Asian man basically appropriating a bit of white culture.