General Yuzuru Chat

how I miss this gesture with his fingers  , we never know for sure how it would turn out if he had attended GPF, but I remember I was so hopeful before, wondering how he would hold the medal with 5 fingers stretched out ...and I already told a relative who has layover at Tokyo airport next Feb to get some GPF magazines for me before the WD,...how happy, how excited  I was then...

It did seem pretty lackluster this time around... but it's true that the "young ones" in any sport often perform better when they have to raise their level to that of the top guys. With so many of those guys missing, the tension they've come to expect wasn't there, the pressure was very different.. I guess it's similar to a tennis tournament without Roger, Rafa and Novak competing... there are still quality contenders, but the feeling of the competition isn't the same.  Even the feeling of winning isn't quite the same.  I expect very different performances from everyone come Olympics, barring injury of course.

Part of me wonders about 4cc... i know it's too close to Olys and the risks associated with that and everything, but if there is a lot of rust when/if he competes at Nats... or if he can't compete at Nats....

3 hours ago, kiches said:

I’ve been on a men’s skating freeze out since NHK (didn’t have the heart to watch without Yuzu in the mix, but have been tracking scores, sadly I never made it through Cup of China for men) so I can’t comment on any of the recent skating by the men on the GP, but I remembered thinking this morning that Yuzu (and to an extent Javi and Patrick) help bring a different level of excellence out of a competition. Whatever that driving force is I felt it has been missing since he withdrew from NHK and I expect it to return when he’s back in competition. 

I think the point made here, and points made in the posts before mine are all (obviously) correct. I actually feel a bit sad for the sQuad kids... say, when Yuzu was in Shoma's position, it wasn't until like his third year in Seniors that he was really deemed new ace/threat to the ace. Sure, he was new upcoming talent since the beginning, but thanks to the Great Three wall at the top of Men, he was exactly what was the best for him at the time-upcoming, challenger to the top, that, step by step, became the top-when he broke through the top three to outscore Nobu, there still was Daisuke and Taka as an older and more experienced skaters to challenge (and kind of get guidance from? At least in dorkiness...). Contrary to that, Shoma got threwn into position of a new ace/threat to the ace practically since his first year in Seniors, with the terryfying prospect that it IS only him and Yuzuru at the top(which translates into ONLY HIM in a future-not inviting idea for competitive skater tbh...). It makes me wonder if it was easier for Shoma had he decided to go to Seniors this one year earlier, where he would compliment the Great Three with Yuzu and Machida, instead of being thrown into the draught of men's field that is held together in highest regard only thanks to Yuzu...

The same on the international field- Javi is a veteran, so in his younger years he got to compete on the same ice as some of the skating legends, and then during his and Yuzu's breakthrough years, the top of the world was Patrick and Takahashi, both with incredible PCS quality that made them stand out, showing youngsters (okay, only Yuzu can be called that, sorry, Javi :D) that quads aren't everything, MAKING the people actually compare the amount of quality of the inbetween, while at the same time admitting jumping prowess of the younger gen...

...That actually would mean, that Yuzu, Patrick and Javi are part of the Golden Age of FS, because they HAD TO connect jumping ability (the only thing they had upper hand in against their elders) with the skating quality (so as to not stand out from the older skaters too much in terms of PCS and GOEs). The Gen after them is either bound to go the same way (deveop all at once with slight pressure on their stronger points, aka jumps, a'la Boyang) or admit defeat and focus on the quantity factor that seems to bring in the 'wow' factor their elders (lol) gain through the SS... poor guys.

Goddamnit, I wasn't supposed to write a textwall...:facepalm:

2 hours ago, ruruzest said:

this makes me sad and proud at the same time. :cry: but more sadness , also very proud , I don’t know what I’m feeling now :6a6943826e43:

sorry

It makes me angry tbh. How the near perfect POTO got only two points more than this year's lackluster, with all due respect to Nate and his number of quads? (I'm trying to excuse it to myself with Yuzu not feeling well, and not projecting enough to earn higher PCS, but...ugh, it's hard to find believable excuses...)

1 hour ago, liv said:

It did seem pretty lackluster this time around... but it's true that the "young ones" in any sport often perform better when they have to raise their level to that of the top guys. With so many of those guys missing, the tension they've come to expect wasn't there, the pressure was very different.. I guess it's similar to a tennis tournament without Roger, Rafa and Novak competing... there are still quality contenders, but the feeling of the competition isn't the same.  Even the feeling of winning isn't quite the same.  I expect very different performances from everyone come Olympics, barring injury of course.

Part of me wonders about 4cc... i know it's too close to Olys and the risks associated with that and everything, but if there is a lot of rust when/if he competes at Nats... or if he can't compete at Nats....

SPIT IT OUT! SPIT THIS ATROCITY OUT RIGHT NOW BEFORE YOU GET PAPRIKA POISONING!

36 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

...It is only my elephant-stepped-on-it ear, or does he DO sound like the Junior Yuzu? Anyway, cute that our overlord keeps inspiring :biggrin:

30 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

im laughing at alexei's what the heck face when he hears that mitsuki couldnt even jump a 2A until the age of 13:rofl:but this is so lovely. so many of the upcoming boys look up to him, and for so long after yuzuru has finished competing, there will always be his flair in the skating of those whose hearts he touched. i love watching some performances of the men competing now, and seeing the little touches that show the skaters who influenced them. its beautiful :7938863:

2 hours ago, MrPudding said:

I actually find it awesome that noodly youngster Hanyu pre-OGM could inspire someone, and I'm sure many others as well. And of course also other skaters not just Hanyu, but you don't have to be at the top to have your skating and fighting spirit reach out to other people.

4 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

I actually find it awesome that noodly youngster Hanyu pre-OGM could inspire someone, and I'm sure many others as well. And of course also other skaters not just Hanyu, but you don't have to be at the top to have your skating and fighting spirit reach out to other people.

One of my favorite instances of Yuzu inspiring others is Joshua Farris. In a google hangout session with USFS (I think in 2014/2015 season) he mentioned he was his fan. He watched him win he junior world championship in 2010 and was impressed, and thought if Yuzu could do it, and they’re the same age, then he could too. Sadly Josh’s status is a bit of a mystery after he annnounved unretirement, but I think this is one of those shining examples of how your competitive peers can lift and inspire you. 

51 minutes ago, Sammie said:

I don't get it. Has this been updated? Just wondering why Nathan Chen isn't first, having made a Gold medal sweep currently this season (something I wished for Hanyu).

So world standings they give you scores base on your SB for each season? How does this work?

15 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

I don't get it. Has this been updated? Just wondering why Nathan Chen isn't first, having made a Gold medal sweep currently this season (something I wished for Hanyu).

So world standings they give you scores base on your SB for each season? How does this work?

I have no clue how World standing work :laughing:. Maybe someone will enlighten us. 

:pouty:

18 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

because if you look closely the world ranking is based on the current season and the two before