General Yuzuru Chat

hace 57 minutos , Xen said:

Heading into the season, if you follow J-media and Ice Network, you would think that Nate and Shoma are stronger than him; the latest ACI FS pop concert probably does not help (though media is more psoitive than I thought it would be), so it remains to be seen what will happen rest of the season.

Actually media is not as negative as I expected about ACI, maybe the WR in SP helped a little bit and also the fact they didn't silence the knee problem. 

Tbh I didn't go to some unfriendly places to check what people said about it, but my overall impression is that nobody dismiss Yuzu as a contender for OGM.

And he doesn't need to make mistakes in SP to have a good free skate. Not only he lost 4CC and SC gold because of it , the worst of all is that he started thinking he was no good in SP. 

14 minutes ago, Floria said:

Actually media is not as negative as I expected about ACI, maybe the WR in SP helped a little bit and also the fact they didn't silence the knee problem. 

Tbh I didn't go to some unfriendly places to check what people said about it, but my overall impression is that nobody dismiss Yuzu as a contender for OGM.

And he doesn't need to make mistakes in SP to have a good free skate. Not only he lost 4CC and SC gold because of it , the worst of all is that he started thinking he was no good in SP. 

If for no other reason than that I'm glad he is comfortable with Chopin and (more) likely to be clean

3 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Maybe Jmedia finally realised that instead of pitting Yuzu against Shoma and vice versa, Japan is actually in a situation where they have the highest chance of getting medals in the men's field with 2 top contenders... At least I hope so... LOL... watch them do a rivalry narrative again once the gp series starts...

There were a couple of factors for this:

- The SP WR;

- The damage control done beforehand, which was necessary damage control because Yuzu and team needed to explain why he was suddenly doing 2 triples at the beginning of his layout, which had to have a reason.

6 minutes ago, xeyra said:

There were a couple of factors for this:

- The SP WR;

- The damage control done beforehand, which was necessary damage control because Yuzu and team needed to explain why he was suddenly doing 2 triples at the beginning of his layout, which had to have a reason.

This actually got me thinking... I mean, we're happy that he's more open about his health but do you think had he not agreed to water down his layout we wouldn't even know about the leg pain? (In the end it was a good decision though... Thanks Brian.)

Courtesy of @yude once again:

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170924-00011031-nksports-spo

After ACI SP, Yuzu found the Nikkan Sports newspaper journalist on site to thank them for Dick Button's message he received earlier (Nikkan Sports interviewed Dick Button in New York some weeks ago, where he wrote Yuzu a handwritten good luck message). The message is now in a transparent frame in Yuzu's room. 

2 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

This actually got me thinking... I mean, we're happy that he's more open about his health but do you think had he not agreed to water down his layout we wouldn't even know about the leg pain? (In the end it was a good decision though... Thanks Brian.)

Yes. 

4 hours ago, Xen said:

....this photo...if I ever get this puppy-eye look, I'd cave in...and I don't usually cave in....

Y'all hate me by now but I can't shut up about this...

You don't need to get his puppy eye look. Any gaze works. It's disarming, goes straight into your heart and it's like you're staring into another world.

DON'T LOOK AT YUZU IN THE EYES IF YOU WANT TO LIVE A LIFE AS A NORMAL HUMAN.

(hydro still hasn't recovered as you can see)

6 hours ago, kaerb said:

lmao he's gonna be so kuyashii he only got 2nd in that news program :xD: you're all adorable~ (I'm admiring the pink-haired girl's hair! So bright * A * Is that one of you or taken from elsewhere?)

She was at ACI lol caught my eyes her hair was so bright

3 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Y'all hate me by now but I can't shut up about this...

You don't need to get his puppy eye look. Any gaze works. It's disarming, goes straight into your heart and it's like you're staring into another world.

DON'T LOOK AT YUZU IN THE EYES IF YOU WANT TO LIVE A LIFE AS A NORMAL HUMAN.

(hydro still hasn't recovered as you can see)

...I would be more shocked if you recovered within a month...or a lifetime...

2 時間前, Eclairさんが言いました:

2. He makes a minor mistake in the SP and therefore ends up going completely clean in the FS, winning gold. With Chopin, I feel Yuzuru just feels too comfortable, which results in a great SP, but then at the FS he'll be going into as the lead and we all know he's better when placed in the underdog situation

Lol. There's no telling with him. What if he skates LGC clean? And there's no telling he'll come back with a perfect FS either. Plus how he does in his SP helps determine how late he gets to skate in the FS and according to the unspoken rules of the game, the later one skates the better chances there are in getting high GOEs, since they are apparently finite and the judges like to reserve a bunch just in case for these final few skaters. Old habits die hard and all that. So he'll want to factor that in and be getting one of the final 3 spots so that he's able to be one of those they can rain all those saved up GOEs down upon, and not one of those earlier ones that gets taxed. He's been there and done that for both situations and I'm pretty sure he likes the feeling of the previous one better.

The kind of field it is now, any one among the other 5 can edge him off the top spot if they skated both programs clean and he doesn't. And it's not so far-fetched to think that at least one of them would at the Olympics. Plus Hanyu doesn't like banking on the mistakes of others. So he has to assume that everyone's skating clean and train himself to be able to win despite the fact. That's the safest and surest fire route, and not to mention the most satisfying. And Chopin is the only SP vehicle he has that gives him a higher possibility of nailing both programs.

I used to think there's a small chance judges might score someone else with higher BV who skated clean enough programs higher than they would him even if he skated his lights out because politics can be sickening like that. But ACI has shown that judges ultimately recognize true quality when they see it and are more than willing to reward him the scores he deserves even with lower level tech than others, as long as he makes it easy for them to do it. So now I'm assured that the only way any one of the others--higher BV, inflated scores, political-backing and all--will have a chance at gold is if, and only if, Hanyu made mistakes, and they either made none themselves or made them a lot less. 

Still, if he's putting in new elements that he's doing for the first time this season, it's hard to say whether or not he'll manage to not make any, familiar programs or no.

1 時間前, kaerythさんが言いました:

Maybe Jmedia finally realised that instead of pitting Yuzu against Shoma and vice versa, Japan is actually in a situation where they have the highest chance of getting medals in the men's field with 2 top contenders... At least I hope so... LOL... watch them do a rivalry narrative again once the gp series starts...

Yeah, but only one person can win the gold. Though I dunno why they'd give a damn which one of them wins it so long as one of them does.

5 hours ago, Valkyria said:

I'm going to see it this weekend. My poor, long-suffering friends will have to deal with me using every opportunity yo talk about skating and Yuzu related things :rofl:

I already drive my coworkers nut talking about my ACI experience  b:laughing:, as long as they uh huh uh huh and did not politely tell me" ehm, you already told me that" I keep at it :sadPooh:

5 часов назад, katonice сказал:

Thanks so much @gladi for all your hard work on the subtitled video! :thanks:

Fascinating to get a glimpse of what was happening behind the scenes, and the emotions and thoughts that brought about and resulted from this performance.

As always, it has brought renewed awe and respect for what these athletes, and esp. Yuzu, are able to do out there on the ice, amidst all the pressure and expectations surrounding them. I guess that's why their triumphs can bring us to unprecedented highs with them, knowing what they had to go through to achieve them.

ETA: I hadn't realised that I'd captured that moment when Yuzu jumped a 3A in order to recapture the attention of the crowd. Here it is uploaded on Youtube: 

I was at the same block at GPF just closer to the center, ah, good memories :2thumbsup: