General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, sweetwater said:

Second Impact Syndrome

Oh, of course. There's also delayed onset of head injury symptoms, like what killed the actress Natasha Richardson. 

Truly, he took a lot of risk that time. It paid off, but still. 

6 hours ago, Faithyu said:

WHAT:jaw:, they are not allowed to help? Okay, now I'm shocked!

Thats like, a really stupid rule.:thumbsdown:

I don't think it is a stupid rule. My first-aid trainer specifically told me that unless I have enough experience or, better yet, am certified, I should stay clear of the injured person to give way to the medical staff. Chances are none of the skaters on ice on that day were permitted or had necessary experience to do that. 

I do, however, think that the medical staff was too slow to come and check on Yuzu.

They should by now have a better medical protocol (but I doubt, since I don't think I have seen any communications on this matter. But I would be glad if I'm wrong about this. Such horrifying incidents should be handled with utmost care and timely reaction).

EDIT: I forgot to add but clearing the scene to ensure safety is extremely important too, may be it's what led to the delay in response from the medical team. Even so, I wish they were faster. 

19 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Welome!! Another one captured by the gravity of Planet Hanyu :dancingpooh:

I hope you find your stay most informative and pleasant :D

If this was a normal season you owould have arrived just in time for media day, 24hTV, program reveal... ahh....

But we have streaming parties coming soon so there's that :D

Helloo there. Aww what a sad season is happen right now. I hope the pandemic will go soon. 

Anyway may I know when will we do the straming party??:peace2:

19 hours ago, Hope_and_Legacy said:

Ah yes, so many of us including myself came to this Planet during quarantine. And it's okay to be nervous! When I first came here I wasn't a member; I must have just lurked around as a guest for more than a month!!! Heh heh heh. :space:

You became his fan after seeing CoC 2014??? How did you survive that? :confused0066: I heard about the incident not long after becoming Yuzuru's fan, but it took me a long time to pick up the courage to actually watch the performance because I knew he fell several times. You're really brave! 

And you're welcome; I'm glad I was able to help! :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

When I was the first time find Planet Hanyu, I immediately sign myself as a member because I thought I wouldn't be able to see any information if I wasn't a member😭😭

The CoC 2014 is my first video ever I've watched of Yuzu. Idk what was the feeling I felt but I remember I was so shock when the accident happened and then he just lay down there on ice after the accident. I was even almost got heart attack when I know he still performed after that omggg he's such a fighter. Never in my life I'm feeling attracted to a man the way I fell for Yuzu😭😭😭💖

14 hours ago, IceWings said:

Yuzu has visited schools several times over the years. The school visit you are describing is the one in 2014, when he visited a Junior High school in Ishinomaki. The recent video footage is from his visit in 2018 to a school that just reopened in Naraha. That school is located close to the nuclear power plant that was damaged by the earthquake/tsunami.

For those who are new, here is an excellent summary of his school visits: https://lazuliblade.tumblr.com/post/175536700513/yuzurus-visit-to-naraha-fukushima-732018

His words are so inspiring, I'm surprised they didn't include them in the original broadcast, but I guess it's good that they hold back some footage so they can feed us some nuggets of his goodness during drought periods.

@Kikooo, Welcome, and happy to have you join us!  :wave:

When I first joined the Planet, the glittering glossary did not exist yet, and I was so confused... boob-skirt? :confused:  And someone had posted a video clip of cactus blooming, and I kept waiting for some Yuzu content in that video, but there was only blooming cacti.  :shrug:  LOL.

I lurked for a while before joining too. I think I ended up joining because I was trying to get info about the Sendai parade, or maybe CiONTU.

I think I've only watched the 2014 CoC FS once. I can't stomach watching him fall over and over again, and then Kikuchi-san practically had to carry him off the KnC. :59227c768286a__s:

I'm glad he is being more careful about his body these days. 

Hiiii. Omg your story about  boob-skirt and blooming cactus is so funny😭😂

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I'm sure it's at least in part for the safety of everyone, because there are five other people whizzing around the ice at high speeds going backwards at the same time. If medics ran out there unannounced, there's a chance of  another collision happening. But it's horrible to watch. 

This is definitely a large part of it. Whenever you do any type of emergency medical training, any level from basic first aid all the way to Advanced Cardiac Life Support (which is fully caring for a cardiac arrest in its first minutes with medications, endotracheal intubation, defibrillation if indicated) has the same first step: ensure that the scene is safe. If you cannot safely care for the first patient, you run the risk of becoming a second patient yourself. And if the scene is not safe, you do not provide care. Full stop. You will fail your test if you skip that step during a certification exam. Certainly, a warmup session with four senior men’s skaters going full speed would qualify as an unsafe scene. It would have taken a few seconds for the referee to realize what had happened, then a bit more time to clear the ice, then the medics had to work out how to get out there on a sheet of ice to tend to Yuzu.

Do I think he should have skated? From a medical standpoint, no. Head trauma, regardless of what he said about not feeling like he had a concussion, should have been disqualifying due to the risk of second-impact syndrome. That’s potentially fatal or permanently debilitating, and it would have been all too easy for him to have gotten a second head impact on one of his five falls in that free skate had he been wrong.

But do I respect him for making the choice to compete given what was at stake, and seeing how obviously difficult it was for him? A thousand times yes. The ISU just needs better concussion management protocols so that athletes with head injuries (which can certainly impact one’s judgment) don’t have to make those choices. It shouldn’t have been up to him in the first place. 

14 hours ago, Purple said:

Wow, what a time to discover Yuzuru.

I was fortunate, my 1st was his 2014 Sochi programs  shown on youtube. It was in the news at the time that he was the 1st Japanese male to win OG Gold. 

Being Asian, I'm interested in any skater from Asia country winning a major tournament in a western dominated sport. My 1st was when Shen/Zhao won pairs in 2010.

His Sochi performance is absolutely beautiful. His SP in Sochi is my most favourite program of him because he just really enjoyed himself. The way he moves, the way he smiles to judges, the way he is enjoy the music awww everything is amazing and mesmerizing 😭

14 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It's not the falls in that one - it's the collision during the six-minute warmup at the start and the way he and Han Yan are just lying there dazed and gasping, for several moments, until Han finally staggers to his feet and then it's just Yuzu, flat on his back, with his abdomen laboring up and down trying to force some air into his lungs while you can see his brain going "what just happened?', while it takes the medics another full minute to get out there and help him, that does me in. The falls afterwards are more of a "why is he hurting himself like that now, somebody stop him" feeling. 

I was so shocked when I see him laying his back on eyes and even barely breathing. I even almost screaming myself "WHERE'S THE MEDIC? WHY DIDNT THEY BRING ANY OXYGEN TO HIM"😭😭😭😭

Even after he perform, hr cried when he see the results. That's the moment I realized I will support this smol yet giant will baby😭

9 hours ago, TallyT said:

Eeee.... what a first video to come across, I still flinch at the memory of it and how fans watching it live didn't lose hair along with Brian... and if you find threads of people watching it live (say on GS forum) the shock and horror and "why is he DOING this???" is palpable all these years later.

I was lucky, my first sight of him was 2015 Seimei (though being as it was as I was browsing, I can't recall if it was NHK or GPF)

Omg. I can't imagine myself watching it live😭😭😭

But I will try to find the threads.

Wow Seimei is such a wonderful program, especially the GPF one if I'm not mistaken because he was crying there🙄🙄

5 hours ago, EternalSpin said:

When I first saw the COC 2014 skate, I was rather shocked like all of you, but now... maybe there's something wrong with me, but sometimes I find myself re-watching that fs and it is totally ok to me. Even the falls don't look scary. I know how weird that sounds :slinkaway:

Same but I did watch the video years after and already knew he survived the fall and and is now a 2X Olympic champion so I was pretty calm though I did grimace at the jumps and falls when watching the skate.I did rewatch a few times and every time, I am amazed at his resolution. Now whether his decision is right or not is a different issue. but it does show me why he is a GOAT. A real fighter indeed. 

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

In case any of you have missed it, today the ISU cancelled the Junior Grand Prix series.  What that says about the fate of the senior Grand Prix I cannot say, but I have been thinking about the coming season in general and my feelings are growing increasingly pessimistic.  The crucial factor seems to me to be the feasibility of international travel.  As we get closer to the season's beginning there are still so many barriers to international travel that I think any practical solution is quite simply impossible.  It's not getting the fans to their desired destinations but getting the athletes there, particularly at the required time.  There might be a point where the borders between point A and point B are open but there is no guarantee that they will remain open.  A sudden spike in cases of the virus might force a number of countries to ban travel between them and the virus-affected nation.  In short, stability is what is required and it is stability that seems right now to be so far out of reach that the ISU may just have to bite the bullet and cancel the entire season.  I hate to sound so dour but that is how I am currently reading the situation.  Most of my posts I generally end with something upbeat but right now, looking at the potential of a cancelled season, I see nothing upbeat to end this post.  Sorry about that.

I have long been pessimistic since 2 months ago. I'm just waiting for miracle to prove me wrong. 

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

CoC2014 FS was a living nightmare to me, including the warm-up, the free skate, and the things that happened in the Japanese fandom after that. I feel slightly sick looking back at it even now. I watched it live on TV. (The competition was aired by TV Asahi, by the way. They have the broadcasting rights of GPS except for NHK Trophy) So the camera was on him as he collided with Han Yan while commentators were screaming, "Abunai!" After that, I watched everything fearing that we might be losing him and Han Yan, and wondering if it was right to just watch someone when they might be risking their life. Although the camera was kept away from them after they left the rinkside, I could see the doctor checking Yuzu, and then the way he talked to Kikuchi san analyzing the damages himself. However, since there was no way to know how OK he really was, the resumed warm-up and the free skate full of falls were no less scary than the collision itself because I had read about SIS. I am still grateful that they both survived that. If something was slightly different, we might not have been cheering for him like this.

ETA: That said, the competition tells what kind of fighter he is, so I understand there are people who became a fan after watching it.

So true, even I was just discovering about him that time because of the collided, but he's such an amazing fighter because he isnt even surrender after that😭 

We're really lucky because God is still protect him back then, cant imagine something bad happened to him after that😭

May God always bless Yuzu's life with happiness and health 💖🙏

3 hours ago, Fay said:

They couldn’t and they knew it. No people are allowed to help injured skaters on the ice apart from medical staff. Even Brian couldn’t just run out there to check him. 

The problem is that the two people who came on the ice to assist Yuzu did not adhere to any proper emergency protocol.

They should have examined Yuzu, told him to remain still and taken the precaution of stabilizing his neck in case he had a spine injury. They should have had a stretcher and placed Yuzu on it in order to remove him from the ice instead of immediately helping him onto his unsteady legs and requiring him to stagger off the ice on his own power.

It is my understanding that there was no official doctor available for the competition and that Yuzu received emergency medical treatment from the American team doctor.

After the Kiss and Cry, when it was obvious that Yuzu was unable to stand and walk on his own and Kikuchi-san was having difficulty assisting him, they should have had a wheelchair available.

I found the manner in which Yuzu’s injury was handled by COC and its alleged medical staff totally inadequate and upsetting.

2 hours ago, EternalSpin said:

When I first saw the COC 2014 skate, I was rather shocked like all of you, but now... maybe there's something wrong with me, but sometimes I find myself re-watching that fs and it is totally ok to me. Even the falls don't look scary. I know how weird that sounds :slinkaway:

I am the same. I often re-watch Yuzu’s 2014 COC free skate now and find it inspirational.

What I have difficulty watching is what occurs after the free skate with Yuzu staggering off the ice into Brian’s arms, crying uncontrollably in the Kiss and Cry and Kikuchi-san and the other Team Japan member struggling to get Yuzu backstage.

2 hours ago, IULIANA said:

You might recall - those who were watching, especially Japanese tv posts - how Yuzuru, during the second warm up, with his bandage wrapped around his head, was shouting out to the ceiling ``Kobe!`` (I fould out later that this meant ``Jump!``. I must confess, I tried several times to rewatch that perfrmace, and still got no stomach to do it.

I think that it is just a typographical error, but the Japanese word for “jump” is “tobe” and, yes, this is what Yuzu screamed out.

2 hours ago, micaelis said:

In case any of you have missed it, today the ISU cancelled the Junior Grand Prix series.  What that says about the fate of the senior Grand Prix I cannot say, but I have been thinking about the coming season in general and my feelings are growing increasingly pessimistic.  The crucial factor seems to me to be the feasibility of international travel.  As we get closer to the season's beginning there are still so many barriers to international travel that I think any practical solution is quite simply impossible.  It's not getting the fans to their desired destinations but getting the athletes there, particularly at the required time.  There might be a point where the borders between point A and point B are open but there is no guarantee that they will remain open.  A sudden spike in cases of the virus might force a number of countries to ban travel between them and the virus-affected nation.  In short, stability is what is required and it is stability that seems right now to be so far out of reach that the ISU may just have to bite the bullet and cancel the entire season.  I hate to sound so dour but that is how I am currently reading the situation.  Most of my posts I generally end with something upbeat but right now, looking at the potential of a cancelled season, I see nothing upbeat to end this post.  Sorry about that.

I agree with you. 

On my side, I think senior GPs should be cancelled too, based on the information and data I have gathered and assured of. As for next year (AKA the second half of the season), let's see how it goes. My approach to the current situation is to look at it on a weekly and monthly basis. No feeling, just facts. 

5 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

They should have examined Yuzu, told him to remain still and taken the precaution of stabilizing his neck in case he had a spine injury. They should have had a stretcher and placed Yuzu on it in order to remove him from the ice instead of immediately helping him onto his unsteady legs and requiring him to stagger off the ice on his own power.

It is my understanding that there was no official doctor available for the competition and that Yuzu received emergency medical treatment from the American team doctor.

After the Kiss and Cry, when it was obvious that Yuzu was unable to stand and walk on his own and Kikuchi-san was having difficulty assisting him, they should have had a wheelchair available.

I found the manner in which Yuzu’s injury was handled by COC and its alleged medical staff totally inadequate and upsetting.

I agree with this 100%. And the sport has learned nothing from it since, if what happened at Canadian Nationals* this past winter is any indication. They really need to update their first aid/ medical protocols for competitions. 

*I'm talking about the junior pairs skater who fell from six feet up flat down on the ice when her partner tripped and fell while she was mid air in a twist. They let her skate afterwards but she should have been immediately sent to an ER.