2018/19 Coaching changes

7 minutes ago, Fay said:

This made me think of the footballers trophy shirts rooms you see on tv sometimes- shirts from important games stored in climate controlled conditions etc etc - made me snigger.

5 hours ago, asiacheetah said:

Sigh...read: war horse. I HATE war horse programs with a passion. I'm now traumatized by ever watching Women FS live ever again by the multiple Carmen.

Frankly I'd rather he used a warhorse that suited him than something like Elvis that really didn't - but hopefully he will find something in all the unused classical repertoire that will work for him.  His SP worked so much better than the FS last season.

3 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I joked in the general thread that maybe they took on Jason - especially with Tracy insisting - to balance out the quad fever at TCC, but maybe that's actually not entirely untrue. Even though for Boyang the focus will be on developing his skating skills, quads are still going to be high profile, so maybe Tracy wanted someone to both balance it out and possibly be able to gain from it.

I don't think the number of skaters is a problem. It's just three of them after all and sadly, Jason isn't really top tier. Also, it seems Javi Raya has left and Sonia also seems to have left to focus on studies already last year and I think it's unlikely she'll go back. It's true they weren't top skaters, but still. I'm also pretty sure Gabby is staying, because she commented on a Jason instagram post, with "I can't wait for you to get here!" or so. Either way, I'm sure Brian and Tracy have it all thought out.

I don't know if tensions between Boyang, Jun and Stephen will happen or will be easily resolved. I don't think Jason will be a problem, because I don't think he has the same ambitions. If anything, he'll be the Javi in this (though an even more mellow version). For the other three, they could each think they're good enough and the others won't be a threat. Or, for Jun and Stephen, they might have seen Yuzu and Javi and think they can do that, too. I don't know and it remains to be seen. I'm sure they all ok-ed for now and whether it'll work or not, we'll see. Like someone pointed out on twitter, not everyone works well with TCC, so anything could happen.

Yuzu is on an entirely different level and they all know this. They might all want to learn from him, but I think Yuzu is beyond needing a rival to push him forward. (As much as I love Javi, he hadn't really been doing that since 2016-2017 anyway.) Seeing Boyang's Lutz up close might be good, but it might also be bad, depending on the condition of his ankle. (If he has to give it up completely, seeing it will probably get frustrating after a while...) Losing to them would probably annoy him even more than losing to Javi did, but an annoyed Yuzu is a powerful Yuzu, so... who knows. But from this, I honestly don't expect Yuzu to last till Beijing. I think his ankles/knees - especially that right ankle that he's sprained and re-sprained so many times - might already have permanent damage - the kind that make competing at top level for much longer very difficult, not the kind that affects daily lives or even an ice show career. Sorry to be pessimistic, but the way he always says "just a little bit more" makes me feel he knows something and something not good like that. So I think his plan is only for another season or two and then re-analyze. If his condition doesn't get worse, he might continue more, but for now, I don't think he plans for more than that. He might push himself to get the 4A, and then that's it. But we'll see. (I honestly hope I'm wrong, because I know Yuzu loves to compete and like someone said - sorry I couldn't keep track of everyone - I'm not sure just doing ice shows would be enough to keep him truly satisfied. Or else, he'll probably do a million shows a year, just to keep busy...)

Still, the Yuzu situation would mean Brian needs backup plans.

Brian said after Yuna left and Adam left, they were really worried. And one reason why he immediately accepted going to Japan to see what JSF wanted was because they needed a skater from a big federation. If Yuzu and Javi had both left and he hadn't gotten anyone else, they might have ended up in the same situation. So I don't think it's surprising he jumped at the chances of getting virtually every big skating federation in TCC. But don't get me wrong, like bringing Yuzu only after Javi ok-ed it, they would never get federations at the cost of the skaters, because that's just a recipe for disaster. They're too smart for that, I think. I mean, bad relationships with skaters or among skaters is bad reputation and who wants that?

I'm pretty sure they'll find a way. Maybe Yuzu and Javi will start doing coaching internships and help out :P Unlikely, I know lol But it is one of Brian's dreams, so... *fingers crossed*

I'm also pretty sure that aside from the top skaters, Brian & co also train many amateurs and lower level skaters and adult skaters. I'm pretty sure 3 new skaters when 2 have already left and one will only do an event or two, isn't THAT big a deal for them. There are some 20 coaches at TCC, after all...

I do hope Brian doesn't give Yuzu to Ghislain completely, though (I'm thinking of Japanese Nationals...). NHK was mostly Yuzu's own fault for pushing himself too much, but I always wondered if Brian, who is perhaps more familiar with Yuzu's stubbornness, especially in competition mode, might not have realized it and prevented him from doing it in a way Ghislain wasn't able to. You know, it's like kids with their parents. There's usually one parent the kids are more likely to obey. With Yuzu, I think that's Brian. With Ghislain and Tracy, I think he's more likely to rebel and fall back on his old habits. That's why I generally feel safer when Brian is there. But then again, if he's changing his attitude, that might not be necessary anymore. Again, we'll see...

I agree with all your assumations about his plan. He has repeated that he would compete just a little bit more, which made me think that he planned to compete one more season, see how things go and decide what to do next. But as I said, I wouldn't be surprised if he fixed his retirement plan after next season. He wasn't lying or exaggerating when saying " a little bit more", he surely had his own plans (short term or long term) already. What I'm getting from the movement at Orser ( TCC) recently made my assumations more compelling and realistic. And no, you aren't pessimistic thinking like that. It's logical and objective to assume considering what he said. 

6 hours ago, Katt said:

I still think its too crowded for TCC, with Yuzuru, Evgenia, Boyang, Jason, Gabby, Jun, LilBet,  Brian will have 2-3 students per GP, not to mention senior B. The WC and 4CC will be a chaos when most of these skaters spots are already fixed. As I said, more people, more problem. Things went wrong when there's only between 2-3 people, there's no sign that it won't happen again in the future. I hope Brian and his team can work it out, for everyone's sake. 

There's a possibility, it seems, that Bet is leaving and moving back to Russia. It's unconfirmed as of now but TSL, who broke the Jason news before any others, did say there was some reshuffling at TCC and not all previous students would remain. Seems Elizabet may be the one most likely to be leaving.

8 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Where does Russia come from, and to whom?

The moving back to Russia is a rumour, much like her leaving TCC but seems the kind of rumour that may prove to be true, much like most Russia-related rumours have been lately. No idea to whom she'd go. Grain of salt until confirmation, of course.

6 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I don't think the number of skaters is a problem. It's just three of them after all and sadly, Jason isn't really top tier.

I think three are more than enough. It worked well with Yuzu and Javi for different reasons but their situation was unique, and as the Olympic Games were approacing things weren't all rosy either.  And they were just two of them, now, with three highly competitive athletes who compete against each other, things will more complicated. Zhenya will also need lot of attention as well which might have an affect the other skaters as well. We don't know but I hope things will turn out somehow well even if I don't see the sitatuion that positive now.

6 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Brian said after Yuna left and Adam left, they were really worried. And one reason why he immediately accepted going to Japan to see what JSF wanted was because they needed a skater from a big federation. If Yuzu and Javi had both left and he hadn't gotten anyone else, they might have ended up in the same situation. So I don't think it's surprising he jumped at the chances of getting virtually every big skating federation in TCC. But don't get me wrong, like bringing Yuzu only after Javi ok-ed it, they would never get federations at the cost of the skaters, because that's just a recipe for disaster. They're too smart for that, I think. I mean, bad relationships with skaters or among skaters is bad reputation and who wants that?

The situation is a bit different now that Brian's students won gold medals and other medals at three consecutive Olympics, I don't think they would have ended up in the same situation as they did 7-8 years ago (where, in 2010, there could have been chances for others to go to TCC had Yuna decided to leave TCC earlier, and not in August which was already way too late.) Now TCC can already afford to choose from different opportunities and I'm sure they got even more offers, not only from Medvedeva, Jason or Boyang but from many other skaters too.

7 hours ago, Katt said:

Haha Is Brian and his team not good for anyone at this point ? From the last couple of season, everytime a skater under perform, his name immidiately pop up. But when it comes to Raf, people are all doom and gloom :laughing:

As for Jason, I'm surprise by this move as I was with Evgenia's. He's very polished and has good packaging. I can see they make his 3A more stable. but for quads, I dont know. Even in practice,  his quad success rate is quite low and prone UR. When I watch his quad and 3A, I feel its a combination of timming, slow rotation speed and nerves.  If thing become metal block, no coaches can help you. Yuzuru struggled with 4S for 2 seasons and I think the COC accident actually help him to throw that metal block away. I still look forward to see David Wilson choreo for him, but I feel he come to TCC for good training enviroment that he can do what he love, rather than aiming for clear goal. With Nathan and Vincent and upcoming US junior turn senior, Brian's name may help him to maintain his current pcs ( but i dont know about US Nat ). 

I also agree with @KatjaThera that at this point Yuzuru doesn't need a rival to push him forward. He and Javi both came to TCC at early stage of their career, they face the same challenge and their reputation are pretty much the same. Not to be a shipper, but I feel Yuzuru and Javi have a very special bond that I dont think we can see with any other skater. In an interview, Jun said he and other skater did say hello or have some simple conversation, but that's it, everyone just focus on their own training. I can see the same with Yuzuru. I don't think any new skaters can make Yuzuru change his long time habit. 

Although we can say right now Yuzuru skate for his own goal and satisfaction, but as long as he compete, he always aim for winning. And with that, he still need all the attention and support from his coaching team like he had in the past, not half of it because the competition won't be easier, and the pressure on him can only go higher. . Its good that we already knew he also work with Ghislain for good amount of time, and he himself will decide his own direction, program, layout and transision. Brian and Tracy might monitor the general things and give their input to perfect thing for him. But I agree when it comes to competition, Brian is the best, simply he has more experiences than any other TCC coaches ( And even with that, he still has mistake sometimes). Thats why we saw Tracy and Ghislain play a more active role from last season.   

I still think its too crowded for TCC, with Yuzuru, Evgenia, Boyang, Jason, Gabby, Jun, LilBet,  Brian will have 2-3 students per GP, not to mention senior B. The WC and 4CC will be a chaos when most of these skaters spots are already fixed. As I said, more people, more problem. Things went wrong when there's only between 2-3 people, there's no sign that it won't happen again in the future. I hope Brian and his team can work it out, for everyone's sake. 

Even with Tracy or Ghialain in the K&C it’s always so clear that Yuzu turns to Brian first and foremost, the other one is a bit of a third wheel until Brian has to run off. :laughing: (Like at ACI or PC.)

1 hour ago, xeyra said:

There's a possibility, it seems, that Bet is leaving and moving back to Russia. It's unconfirmed as of now but TSL, who broke the Jason news before any others, did say there was some reshuffling at TCC and not all previous students would remain. Seems Elizabet may be the one most likely to be leaving.

I know the rumor and think its her too but we still need confirmation. 

Its fun to see the general reaction for all these coaching change if you compare to what people said about Brian after Yuna leaving and Yuzuru move to TCC back in 2012. Clearly Yuzuru and Javi's success really change the wave :laughing:

20 hours ago, Forcefield said:

I think Jason is also confirmed? Idk about this. I can't take three of the sunniest sunflowers together. It's too much cute!

https://mobile.twitter.com/icenetwork/status/1001560699540262912?s=20

Edit: But maybe summer camp only, based on wording.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=91523&type=media

This article seems to suggest it's full-term. And on the wiki page, it's been updated to say Jason has left his coach and will train with Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson.

Sorry if this is off topic!

Time to reassess things with so much that is happening at TCC and how it might affect Yuzu.

Zhenya first - from my reading here it seems that what happened in PC may have been a situation of the straw that broke the camel's back.  She was dissatisfied going into the competition and after getting ONLY silver decided enough was enough.  She knew the degree of autonomy that Brian gives his skaters and decided that was what she most valued.  Being a two-time world champion and still being told what she would skate to and what she would do on the ice, well, she'd had enough.  So she bolted.  I wouldn't be surprised if she threatened the skating authorities in Russia saying she would retire rather than skate another season under the current regime.  We'll never know if that was the case but the Russians caved, particularly when she said she'd still skate under the Russian flag, which we do know is the case.

Now Boyang - I think most of the politicking here is on the part of the Chinese authorities rather than Boyang himself.  They need a poster-athlete for Beijing 22 and for that they need somebody from one of the two winter glamor sports - figure-skating and skiing.  They have no skiers who can fill the bill but they do have Boyang Jin, who is now securely ensconced on the elite level of men's skating.  But he needs a public profile upgrade, something which they cannot do.  The Chinese skating program, like the Russian, is very insular.  They need Boyang to be seen as a skater in himself and not a Chinese skater.  What better plan than to put him training under the world's number one coach and training alongside skating's number one box-office draw, Yuzuru Hanyu.  It doesn't hurt, also, that Yuzu and Boyang seem to be forming a firm friendship.  Having Brian at the boards cheering Boyang on, and also Yuzuru Hanyu joining the cheering, will do wonders for Boyang's image worldwide.  As a side-effect, Boyang's skating just might improve also.

Now Jason Brown, which to me is a surprise, but I'm not really connected to the general figure-skating grapevine so I'm not surprised that I'm surprised.  Jason is a skater very much in the Patrick Chan mode - meaning he skates safely for the TES elements and goes to cash in on the PCS side of the board.  That being the case, in this new age of quad aerobatics Jason feels that he's going to have to start learning to be impressively airborne.  What better place than TCC where one Yuzuru Hanyu, the master of maximum GOE jumps, is to be found and also just coming on board is one Boyang Jin, who more or less started the whole maximum quad numbers revolution.  With two senior level jump-masters at his side he just might learn to launch and land himself properly.

I'm not ignoring Jun here, everyone, but I think he's finding himself in a training situation he had never envisioned when he started with Brian, training amidst a Who's Who of figure-skating's elite.

There is one more to deal with, one Stephen Gogolev.  He is not a newcomer to Brian's place.  He's been there more or less as long as Yuzu has.  There's almost exactly ten years age difference between them (Yuzu - December 1994, Stephen - December 2004) so I'm sure that while they have rarely if ever actually trained together they are well aware of each other.  Stephen, unless significantly sidetracked by the growth and hormonal issues of adolescence, is very much skating's coming thing.  In competitions limited only to Canadians he's already skating senior level even though he's only thirteen (fourteen this December)  At this year's senior-level Canadian Nationals he finished in 10th place.  According to Brian he's jumping the quads everyone else is doing, which means he's lacking only the Holy Grail 4A.  Even if nobody else is I'm sure Yuzu's keeping a close watch on him,  particularly since he's able to do more different quads than Yuzu.  If Yuzu is looking towards a threepeat at Beijing I'm positive he's seeing Stephen as one of his prime competitors then.

As far as Yuzu is concerned, he knows he can train successfully with potential rivals.  His years with Javi have shown him that.  Also, in this group, even though Yuzu is only eight days older than Jason Brown, Yuzu is the elder statesman, and I don't use the term 'statesman' lightly.  He has a breadth of experience, due primarily to the fact he's been the number one figure-skater on the planet for the last half-decade, that simply eclipses everyone else's.  He's the one who can say 'been there, done that' (including surviving one of the world's worst natural disasters in recent years).  Add to that my perception that Yuzu is very much an alpha type.  Just watch how he initiates things in those unscripted moments on the ice when he and other skaters are simply hanging loose.  I'm not worried here.  Yuzu is more than a survivor.  He's a winner.