2018/19 Coaching changes

3 minutes ago, robin said:

I am still trying to re-adjust my worldview to these news LOL

Until now my brain never even but TCC and Evgenia in one sentence but it's reality now. I need a day or two to process this

Me too. One of the many reasons is that she just doesn't seem their type of *diamond* that needs polishing. I thought Wakaba was a far more likely prospect  because *as a figure skater* she needs what they are good at doing. Med has polish. Not my kind of polish, but it's polish. Maybe Tracy can do something with that jerkiness... don't know. So, IF this news is true, then the question of choreographer naturally rears its head....

I think I have to be prepared for Japanese media introducing her as a skater sharing same coach with back-to-back Olympic Gold Medalist in 66 years Yuzuru Hanyu besides her 2 W titles whenever they mention her :popcorn:She may have to deal with their questions about training in the same rink with Yuzuru like Javier had to.

14 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Nah, it's true. This is how you do things.

Match TV actually mentioned Orser, and only Orser, as a possible place too.

Zhenya's agent is gold. Gold.

I keep thinking of Katie Holmes and when she filed for divorce from Tom Cruise, also a Friday (June 29 2012, which I looked up :P). She just ninja’d her way out of Scientology’s reach to NYC, reengaged all her old people and got a divorce settlement and custody of her kid in 10 days. And sure, in Zhenya’s case there were rumors, but still, was anyone talking seriously about BOrser? 

(Also, just comparing their game and strategy, not implying anything else.)

4 minutes ago, liv said:

Me too. One of the many reasons is that she just doesn't seem their type of *diamond* that needs polishing. I thought Wakaba was a far more likely prospect  because *as a figure skater* she needs what they are good at doing. Med has polish. Not my kind of polish, but it's polish. Maybe Tracy can do something with that jerkiness... don't know. So, IF this news is true, then the question of choreographer naturally rears its head....

Hey, I don’t mind Wakaba going there. These two are very good friends, after all... 

7 minutes ago, liv said:

Yeah I have a short list of skaters in my mind (Waka and Kaori, basically lol) that have more room for growth that I would have loved to see flourishing at TCC.

But this is interesting too and I think it's been decided on! I hope this means she will get programs that are less absurd and that highlight her strengths more

11 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

If it's true Evgenia's going to TCC, I admit I'm surprised, mostly that Gabby ok-ed it. Admittedly, she trains more with Lee than Brian, but still... it's not really comparable to Yuzu coming when Javi was there, because Yuzu wasn't so far above everyone else like Evgenia is (well, except Alina, of course >_>) and Javi never really saw himself as champion material, so I guess he minded competition less than the average athlete. Gabby didn't strike me as confident enough to accept Evgenia as rinkmate, but maybe I'm wrong (I admit I don't really know her anyway).

I hadn't thought of it, but maybe because Brian is not Gabby's main coach, she has less of a say? Plus, Gabby may feel she needs a push, because her skating is...kind of up and down...but she does strike me as the type to be very competitive but not in a Yuzu/Javi way so you're right, it's a bit surprising there.

9 minutes ago, liv said:

Honestly, I was so invested in wakaba going because development-wise - from the skills she's in need of polishing, her passionate, slightly 'wild' style, to her age, to the momentum she got as World Silver Medallist - she was in the optimal position to transfer to TCC. I'd hate if it was a 'choose one or the other' type deal, but to have Wakaba, Gabby, Zhenya and Elizabet in one rink is more than TCC have had to ever deal with, and I honestly don't see them going for that just yet. Zhenya's main issues are her flutz and axel so I can see where TCC can help her there but fixing technique is an uncertain thing and may involve reworking from fundamentals. Given how quickly Eteri's other girls are moving up, the question would be time. Girl's got ferocious tenacity though, maybe she'll surprise us.  

2 minutes ago, cirelle said:

I keep thinking of Katie Holmes and when she filed for divorce from Tom Cruise, also a Friday (June 29 2012, which I looked up :P). She just ninja’d her way out of Scientology’s reach to NYC, reengaged all her old people and got a divorce settlement and custody of her kid in 10 days. And sure, in Zhenya’s case there were rumors, but still, was anyone talking seriously about BOrser? 

(Also, just comparing their game and strategy, not implying anything else.)

Oh now talk about a blast from the past but you're so very right. This, like that was a 1-2 - knock out! 

I've often actually moaned privately about the way some skaters were managed (for example, the new manager Jason acquired made me sigh) but this is fantastic. I think I'm going to make tea :biggrin:

Just now, yuzuangel said:

I hadn't thought of it, but maybe because Brian is not Gabby's main coach, she has less of a say? Plus, Gabby may feel she needs a push, because her skating is...kind of up and down...but she does strike me as the type to be overly competitive but not in a Yuzu/Javi way so you're right, it's a bit surprising there.

It wouldn't be fair if she had less of a say, IMO... but who knows? It could also be the Team Canada gold gave her extra confidence... (competitive is one thing, but you need a lot of confidence to welcome such a rival on your home turf, I think. Either that or a somewhat more relaxed attitude like Javi had.)

Now I really want wakaba and Boyang to go to Orser! They have soooo much potential! Really unexpected move from Evgenia, but good for her! If all three are at TCC, that would be an incredible team! :surprised:

4 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

It wouldn't be fair if she had less of a say, IMO... but who knows? It could also be the Team Canada gold gave her extra confidence... (competitive is one thing, but you need a lot of confidence to welcome such a rival on your home turf, I think. Either that or a somewhat more relaxed attitude like Javi had.)

tbf maybe the skaters don't really have much of a say in the first place, and they just get customary notification...coaches have to eat, too, so skaters might feel bad for refusing. it might hurt their relationship with the coach.