Team Japan

I know this is totally unpatriotic but I'm willing to swap out Phillip Harris at Worlds in order that we get to see Kazuki Tomono skate.  He he he......  Joking ...... Sort of!!!!

Just did an English translation of this news feature on Sota Yamamoto and his comeback at the Challenge Cup. His journey back from injury will always be inspiring to me and I'm always extra endeared by the little hints of yuzu's influence in him (check those necklaces shjshkf) ;; 

http://kaerb.tumblr.com/post/183156551059/eng-translation-sota-yamamoto-good-sports

51 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Just did an English translation of this news feature on Sota Yamamoto and his comeback at the Challenge Cup. His journey back from injury will always be inspiring to me and I'm always extra endeared by the little hints of yuzu's influence in him (check those necklaces shjshkf) ;; 

http://kaerb.tumblr.com/post/183156551059/eng-translation-sota-yamamoto-good-sports

I hope things only go up for him from now on. He is a real talent. 

Thanks for the translation! 

Did anyone else notice that, with the season close to finished, Nobu's JPN Open Free skate is unofficially the 9th highest personal best of the season, higher than Cha, Brezina,  Zhou, and Brown?

His 176 fs is higher than the silver medalist in each of the Grand Prix series events, the bronze medalist at the final, and the winner of all the lower level events except for Ondrej Nepala. 

I realize that JPN Open was a cheesefest, but the judging was no more farcical than at Europeans or 4CC, so I am compelled to say "come back Nobuuu! You retired way too early!"

ETA: oops. I probably should have put this in the retired skaters thread. Sorry

JSF "did" their jobs in JW...

There will be only 2 spots for ladies.

How can coaches cultivate skaters that are internationally competitive with this Federation?

6 spots for JGP......

Is Koshiro. Mitsuki, and Tsuboi going seniors?

Then there's Yuma, Kao, Shun....

I think Tsuboi will stay in junior (but it's possible that he won't get any JGP spots like this season)

Yuma and Shun will get JGP spots and Yuma will probably get a senior challenger assignment too...

IMO, they should NOT give Sena any JGP spot even if Sena will stay in junior next season...

3 minutes ago, luvsk8 said:

JSF "did" their jobs in JW...

There will be only 2 spots for ladies.

How can coaches cultivate skaters that are internationally competitive with this Federation?

Excuse me? Is it the Federation who has to skate? What is your suggestion to the Federation? That they train jumping beans of 13-14 only to stumble across the puberty monster? 

You’d think that Russian senior girls should be the wonder of the world, given how many medals they have been bringing in the juniors - yet on the whole Japanese senior girls do better internationally than Russians. Surprise surprise - but I’d say their better longevity is down to better skating skills and sounder jumping technique than the ones Russian girls have. Mai got more points than most Russian girls at international events at Universiade - and she is staying out of the Worlds because the competitive field in Japan is fiercer than the one in Russia. 

15 minutes ago, Fay said:

Excuse me? Is it the Federation who has to skate? What is your suggestion to the Federation? That they train jumping beans of 13-14 only to stumble across the puberty monster? 

You’d think that Russian senior girls should be the wonder of the world, given how many medals they have been bringing in the juniors - yet on the whole Japanese senior girls do better internationally than Russians. Surprise surprise - but I’d say their better longevity is down to better skating skills and sounder jumping technique than the ones Russian girls have. Mai got more points than most Russian girls at international events at Universiade - and she is staying out of the Worlds because the competitive field in Japan is fiercer than the one in Russia. 

Please don't misunderstand what I mean.

Did JSF do something when many private ice rinks were forced to be closed?

You should know most skaters are struggling to find enough facilities for on-ice and off-ice training...

In Mai's case, she doesn't have a true home rink for practice...

How can the skaters capitalize on their potential under this poor training conditions...

5 minutes ago, luvsk8 said:

Please don't misunderstand what I mean.

Did JSF do something when many private ice rinks were forced to be closed?

You should know most skaters are struggling to find enough facilities for on-ice and off-ice training...

In Mai's case, she doesn't have a true home rink for practice...

How can the skaters capitalize their potential under this poor training conditions...

Building and maintaining skating rinks is an expensive business anywhere, but it’s going to be even more expensive in Japan since property costs a lot. So I can understand the Federation. They hardly have the same extensive help financially the way Russian skaters do. 

Well, there’s at least the possibility of them training overseas. 

6 minutes ago, Fay said:

Building and maintaining skating rinks is an expensive business anywhere, but it’s going to be even more expensive in Japan since property costs a lot. So I can understand the Federation. They hardly have the same extensive help financially the way Russian skaters do. 

Well, there’s at least the possibility of them training overseas. 

AFAIK is JSF doesn't prefer skaters to train overseas

(I find it's too hard to speak something good about JSF)