Team Japan

It looks like Uno is already practicing at the competition rink of IdF before the unofficial practice day (11/15) for all other skaters.  I think the podium might not be dramatic. Good for health. :)

3 hours ago, SSS said:

It looks like Uno is already practicing at the competition rink of IdF before the unofficial practice day (11/15) for all other skaters.  I think the podium might not be dramatic. Good for health. :)

Wow, that's quite early, even for Shoma. Wonder if it's because he had/has other commitments to take care of as well. Or they're trying to find out the optimum amount of time he needs to recover from travel to a competition. 

3 minutes ago, katonice said:

Wow, that's quite early, even for Shoma. Wonder if it's because he had/has other commitments to take care of as well. Or they're trying to find out the optimum amount of time he needs to recover from travel to a competition. 

I don't know if this is allowed or not. Occupy the competition rink for weeks before others...  but I am wondering if Yuzu can come to the location of competition like 2 days earlier and just rest...maybe that will help to prevent flu/fever/sickness/jet lag...

1 hour ago, katonice said:

I think it's a very good idea and I'm glad his team are doing it for him - I sort of wonder why other competitors don't?? (though I assume hiring out rink practice sessions would be out of pocket + having to accommodate your team for longer but the top skaters could probably(?) afford to make the investment). Giving yourself more time to acclimate to the environment and get over any adjustment-related illnesses seems like a good idea all around, especially considering how it turned out for both Yuzu and Javi. 

11 hours ago, kaerb said:

I think it's a very good idea and I'm glad his team are doing it for him - I sort of wonder why other competitors don't?? (though I assume hiring out rink practice sessions would be out of pocket + having to accommodate your team for longer but the top skaters could probably(?) afford to make the investment). Giving yourself more time to acclimate to the environment and get over any adjustment-related illnesses seems like a good idea all around, especially considering how it turned out for both Yuzu and Javi. 

In general, yes, likely because nobody can pay for that. But Shoma is sponsored by Toyota, the biggest money source for both JSF and even the ISU itself I think, so I guess that doesn't apply to him.

In this specific case the way more unusual thing is that he is actually at the competition rink. I've never seen anyone allowed to practice in the competition rink more then maybe a day before official practices start. It's super surprising the French really let him do that. And tbh I think it's a weird move from his team - being able to get used to the specific ice on that rink for such a long period gives him an advantage over the other skaters and it's easy to see favoritism in this (again, given how being even allowed to do this is not the norm).

this may sound mean, but I hope Shoma doesn't win the olympics or replace Yuzuru as top skater because, it would be sad to see a skater with jump technique  like Shoma represent the sport.

In the Yuzuru general thread, fans talked about how it is not likely the Olympic competition rink can be rented, so it will at least be fair in that regard.

Edit: sorry there is much I want to post, but it is criticism of shoma and exceptions I make for skaters like zhenya because of , in her case, transitions.

Can this move by uno and the team be considered as cheating? Rent the competition rink? Seriously? Does he not have some confidence in himself and his skating that he and the team need to use some trick to win? (like moving the blade off from the center so he can jump the quad lmao ridiculous).

19 minutes ago, chiraya said:

Can this move by uno and the team be considered as cheating? Rent the competition rink? Seriously? Does he not have some confidence in himself and his skating that he and the team need to use some trick to win? (like moving the blade off from the center so he can jump the quad lmao ridiculous).

I don't think this is cheating, he is just maximizing his chances and the organizers of the event obviously allowed it. Shoma has a real problem with jet lag so I think it is very smart of his team to send him there early and they have been doing that since last season. 

As for moving the blade, I asked about it before and it seems to be a normal practice for skaters. He did suffer from pain in his ankle because of it so I don't think it is much of an advantage, more like a compromise that I wouldn't personally recommend since it is hurting him but he and his team seem willing to make to land the 4L consistently (at least that what I heard is the reason for it)

I am honestly worried for Shoma, he compromises alot to land those quads and the strain on his knees and ankles will catch up to him sooner or later. after what happened with Yuzu I am terrified of something similar happening to him because of much he pushes himself and how scary his landing are.