On 8/14/2020 at 9:49 AM, SitTwizzle said:

Japan Open is money we know it, and it's a pleasurable event, but I really thought it was already not thought of anymore, as it doesn't count in World standings etc, so it doesn't strike me as a priority in these times.

I wonder if ACI, which is also "postponed", may have a similar fate, as it only has a bit of room to move before SCI, before it's too close to be super useful as a "first pancake now spend a few weeks working out the kinks" competition, unless a) the fed has no choice to hold it a couple weeks before SCI, or b) it has that role, but is moved to after SCI, maybe as a preamble to CNats.  Though maybe SCC in November might complicate that.  Of course w/o Yuzu, and w/o more than 50 allowed indoors, ACI is not a source of money this year, so I think it being held would be for program mileage more than anything else.

The above is just my rank speculation, not based on any insider info or even rumors. 

21 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Somehow every time the ISU releases something it sounds as if they are one step closer to cancel all competitions in the first half of the season.

The list of International Competitions calendar is valid as of July 31, 2020.

So JO is still postponed/cancelled.

On JSF's event calendar, JO's status is TBD in terms of schedule as well as the venue and the city. The official site of Kinoshita, the main sponsor of JO says that they don't have any plan on sponsoring an event at the moment. My guess is that they are trying to decide whether to cancel or postpone. How can JSF host an international event after withdrawing from other international competitions held in other countries scheduled around the same time? Would such a choice be tolerated??
Also, ISU technical controller Yukiko Okabe tweeted that none of the international events on the ISU calendar was confirmed to be held.

About Roman's video: the most important thing he said, IMO, was 1. "The ISU can't force us to compete" and that the GP competitions for this year don't count for world standings, so there's no pressure to do them, and 2. "if I don't think it's safe, I won't go" - which he then elaborated on, essentially saying that most skaters are able to weigh the risks and make an informed choice. 

He also pointed out that the plan to hold GP events is just that - a plan - and can easily be dropped or changed if needed. 

And he's right: if no standings come out of GP this year, then the only incentive pushing skaters to go is their own motivation. 

22 hours ago, Veveco said:

This is what I had seen, with the link to the ISU website. I thought it was weird, now I'm :confused: It was quoted a lot yesterday but I guess they were wrong then?

I just assumed that ISU failed to update the document to reflect the postponement. They're not exactly the most competent organisation, right?