21 minutes ago, Lunna said:

If we dismiss the opinion about who should be Skater of the year, I can agree about MVS, I think the name was taken from NHL, but it's a team sport. Though I find it funny that even Hersh thinks Yuzu should be MVS (he should be it every year, really)

Hmm I'm not surprised he agrees though! I mean under ISU's definition, not giving it to Yuzu is objectively wrong, no matter who one's favourite skater is... MVS is actually one category where the winner can be objectively determined. Other categories like best costume, best coach, most entertaining programme etc are pretty subjective... Even for the lifetime achievement award there are several candidates that would deserve it: Kim Yuna, Aljona Savchenko, Virtue/Moir and of course Yuzu. Although if they are only awarding active skaters, then it's just Yuzu I guess. 

Wonder why those US journalist didn't complain right from the beginning ? I'm sure if they did, ISU would happily add whatever award they want, best skater of the year, best yale skater, best skater of US nationals etc... 

If they’ve lifted the categories wholesale from ice hockey ( which really wouldn’t be at all surprising, perfectly in keeping with ISU’s general lack of competence and professionalism ) then it explains that one.  As for awarding skaters not costume designers for best costume etc -  was this whole thing the result of a long liquid lunch, in which the idea was born, hashed out on a paper table napkin, and issued to the media before anyone sobered up enough to veto it?

3 hours ago, Lunna said:

If we dismiss the opinion about who should be Skater of the year, I can agree about MVS, I think the name was taken from NHL, but it's a team sport. Though I find it funny that even Hersh thinks Yuzu should be MVS (he should be it every year, really)

Why? If we're going by only results (competitions won) this year and records broken, skater of the year (and maybe also newcomer) is Alyona Kostornaia.

It's not skater of last year. Lol

39 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Why? If we're going by only results (competitions won) this year and records broken, skater of the year (and maybe also newcomer) is Alyona Kostornaia.

Or S/H if they remembered that pairs exist. They also won all GPs + 4CC.

43 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

But she was "only" Silver at Nationals.

5 hours ago, Lunna said:

"According to the criteria, Yuzuru Hanyu is the most likely winner of this award. Because I do not like this, I think the name and parameters of the award should be changed to make it apply to Nathan Chen instead."

:emoticonaci2019: :emoticonaci2019: :emoticonaci2019:

FFS, if this is about who is most succesful, then why ISU can't use their own 19/20 season's world ranking. Every discipline is awarded points exactly same way.

1. Chock/Bates (2520)
  2. Konstornaya (2340)
  3. Kihira (2333)
  4. Hanyu (2260)
  5. Aliev (2242)
  6. Shcherbakova (2176)
  7. Peng/Jin (2119)
  8. Sui/Han (2040)
  9. Trusova (2028)
  10. Sinitsina/Katsalapov (2012)
  11. Gilles/Poirier (1981)
  12. Papadakis/Cizeron (1956)
  13. You (1892)
  14. Moore-Towers/Marinaro (1865)
  15. Guignard/Fabbri (1860)
  16. Jin (1837)
  17. Tennell (1835)
  18. Boikova/Kozlovskii (1823)
  19. Samarin (1777)
  20. Hubbell/Donohue (1728)
  21. Tarasova/Morozov (1710)
  22. Kvitelashvili (1705)
  23. Brown (1678)
  24. Grassl (1669)
  25. Wang/Liu (1661)
  26. Fear/Gibson (1656)
  27. Rizzo (1624)
  28. Stepanova/Bukin (1623)
  29. Hurtado/Khaliavin (1602)
  30. Mishina/Galliamov (1598)
  31. Hase/Seegert (1529)
  32. Ziegler/Kiefer (1519)
  33. Kazakova/Reviya (1518)
  34. Pavliuchenko/Khodykin & Kayne/O'Shea (1512)
  35. Smart/Diaz (1455)
  36. Calalang/Johnson (1440)
  37. Danielian (1425)
  38. Lim (1420)
  39. Kaliszek/Spodyriev (1410)
  40. Sakamoto (1405)
  41. Mozalev (1365)
  42. Nguyen (1337)
  43. Della-Monica/Guarise & Hawayek/Baker (1320)
  44. Soucisse/Firus (1291)
  45. Aymoz (1278)
  46. Ghilardi/Ambrosini (1259)
  47. Vasilievs (1237)
  48. Messing (1229)
  49. Higuchi (1228)
  50. Ryabova (1226)

*le gasp* Chen isn't even in top 50? Who would guess? XD

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

Wow, this summarized a lot of what we had to say about the ISU in the last 6 months.

Ofc I don't agree with it all (You Young was definitely a better contender for "newcomer" than one of the Russians, winning YOG and all) and I hardly noticed any geographical diversity in the shortlists at all.

What determines the quality of performances - the number of medals or the beauty of the choreography? If the first is more important, how will the organizers look into the eyes of Daniel Gleichenhaus fans? If the latter, then why are the media representatives voting in this nomination, and not the professionals?

lmao the honesty; Gleikh's choreo wins medals but no beauty to be found :smiley-laughing021:

5 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

"Piseev: it is necessary to explain why Zagitova is not nominated for the ISU Prize"

If only JSF supports their skaters a fraction as much as RusFed supports theirs. Lol. Even for this stupid award. 😑

Come on, folks, discussing a random sports blog is wasting your time. 
Piseev’s message is different. It’s sorta funny to see the other federations blissfully ignore the whole affair though. The circus is given any consequence only in Russia, isn’t it? 

On 6/27/2020 at 3:00 PM, Sombreuil said:

If they’ve lifted the categories wholesale from ice hockey ( which really wouldn’t be at all surprising, perfectly in keeping with ISU’s general lack of competence and professionalism ) then it explains that one.  As for awarding skaters not costume designers for best costume etc -  was this whole thing the result of a long liquid lunch, in which the idea was born, hashed out on a paper table napkin, and issued to the media before anyone sobered up enough to veto it?

it's clearly to award certain skaters belonging to a certain fed or/and a certain agency....Medo nomination comes to mind,the costume and the coreo for her short program for example were more interesting then her free skate,MOAG calls for a Kimono of course and it was beautifully done (and wore by Medo who's lovely)but it was nothing outstanding.the suit was glorious.Same with Anna ,Parfume dress grey and red was to die for...but again personal tastes maybe?(I'm trying eh)

2 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

"Piseev: it is necessary to explain why Zagitova is not nominated for the ISU Prize"

You may be a fan of Zagi or not but she's the reigning world and olympic champion,how can you leave her out of your award?it's funny tho like @Fay said the rest of the federations don't really seems to care LOL.

4 hours ago, mercedes said:

it's clearly to award certain skaters belonging to a certain fed or/and a certain agency....Medo nomination comes to mind,the costume and the coreo for her short program for example were more interesting then her free skate,MOAG calls for a Kimono of course and it was beautifully done (and wore by Medo who's lovely)but it was nothing outstanding.the suit was glorious.Same with Anna ,Parfume dress grey and red was to die for...but again personal tastes maybe?(I'm trying eh)

You may be a fan of Zagi or not but she's the reigning world and olympic champion,how can you leave her out of your award?it's funny tho like @Fay said the rest of the federations don't really seems to care LOL.

I don't very much, either.

For me it just means she doesn't have Ari Zakarian as an agent, and as I suspect him to have something to do with Evgenia Medvedeva's recent unfortunate communication, I am extremely glad she does not. Well, we already knew it in 2018 with the FaOI affair (which was of more consequence in my opinion) but this confirms it for 2020.