1 hour ago, Yuzurella said:

At least there are true experts like Max who dare to publicly question ISU judging... :2thumbsup:

In slow motion, this looks even much worse than in real-time. Does the ISU think that everybody watching figure skating is blind? :animated-smileys-angry-052:

I wish he would say the same about Anna or Sasha. :/

17 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I don't think Anna and Sasha's jumps are as bad as Alysa's. Basically everyone (incl guys) PR 180 degrees nowadays that their quads are pretty "normal." 

I agree.  Anna, and especially Sasha, have much better jumps than Alyssa, though I do think all 3 of them (and Vincent and Aliev) should be getting << on their quads.  I think the gif is more about the toe axel than the actual axel.  Most people use lack of replay as the excuse for not <<, but in this case, she's not even setting up backward.   There's no way you can miss the << unless you're not looking at all.

21 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I agree.  Anna, and especially Sasha, have much better jumps than Alyssa, though I do think all 3 of them (and Vincent and Aliev) should be getting << on their quads.  I think the gif is more about the toe axel than the actual axel.  Most people use lack of replay as the excuse for not <<, but in this case, she's not even setting up backward.   There's no way you can miss the << unless you're not looking at all.

Yes, the toe axel is particularly jarring. It's a mistake that lower-level skaters make but you rarely see in international competition.

6 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

It was a really good read until we actually get to the scoring part.  Another one of my patented unpopular opinions - but egregiously biased scoring like this does more harm than good.  People who want to discredit any Fanyu effort will point to things like this as to why we're all kooks.  As good as the first part was, the author immediately lost credibility as soon as I saw her scoring of the 4 loop. Yes, there is some amount of subjectivity to the bullet points, but we're going to be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks a jump with a severe step out as "effortless throughout".  Clearly, there's a struggle if you have to save the landing to prevent falling. Not to mention, the step out is on the landing - how can you give "very good body position from take-off to landing" to a jump that breaks at the waist and never manages to get into landing position?  

On 9/30/2019 at 2:33 PM, Henni147 said:

This video is really great  :thanks:

It would be interesting to know what kind of notes the judge wrote down on that sheet during the performance.

You know what is more interesting? Jump review doesn't include steps before.:shocked:

Marin's program isn't very packed *sobs*, but (with rare exceptions) all skaters have a moment of preparation before jumps, no matter how good their technique is or how big entry they had before.

btw video isn't mine

Looked at available tickets for Skate America just out of curiosity.  It looks like the majority are still available for men and pairs packages in spite of having possibly the deepest men's field  and being in a great tourist city.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/pairs-and-mens-discipline-package/event/17005686936D1E8B

I wonder if they're going to discount tickets before the event.  

8 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Looked at available tickets for Skate America just out of curiosity.  It looks like the majority are still available for men and pairs packages in spite of having possibly the deepest men's field  and being in a great tourist city.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/pairs-and-mens-discipline-package/event/17005686936D1E8B

I wonder if they're going to discount tickets before the event.  

The event is this weekend? Yikes, can't see them being able to sell this many tickets in time lol. People have to make travel plans and fly in. But maybe they will sell it to locals or people who are already there. But Skate America would have to compete with all the hundreds of other attractions there that weekend (and every weekend).

It's interesting to note that there used to be many skating shows (like IceCapades) that would have year-round performances in LV, but the money for that has since dried up.

37 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

The event is this weekend? Yikes, can't see them being able to sell this many tickets in time lol. People have to make travel plans and fly in. But maybe they will sell it to locals or people who are already there. But Skate America would have to compete with all the hundreds of other attractions there that weekend (and every weekend).

It's interesting to note that there used to be many skating shows (like IceCapades) that would have year-round performances in LV, but the money for that has since dried up.

Figure skating just isn't that popular in America any more, I guess. A lot of the country doesn't have a tradition of ice sports, and they haven't had a ladies star in forever (which is why they gotta push Alysa Liu so hard, I guess). And I feel like American gender norms prevent men's from getting that popular even when they have Nathan, and it doesn't help that a lot of the population is still kind of racist towards Asians and Asian Americans.