3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I really like the quote and the picture selection with the two medals in the background :2thumbsup:

Maybe it would look even better, if the text was positioned as a block to Yuzu's right?

Thanks for the feedback! I tried that, but it looked a bit too crowded, especially with the text a bit bigger. So I actually condensed the quote into something shorter and increased the text size. I think the overall message is still the same... Result under spoiler again

Spoiler

5ZDYx0E.png

I had to keep the TCC favorite word in there lol Will be printing the banner in a fairly small, hand-held size, so I really wanted the text to be bigger in an attempt for it to be visible...

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

Things are not looking good for the future of figure skating. I have to say this is a really worrying and sad development.

Someone else may remember and have the link bookmarked but there was an American girl on YouTube who said her rink brought in a new coach to teach them all to underrotate in a manner that’s harder for the TP to spot.

Today I saw this video of Max discussing Saitama scoring and ladies’ quads.

He said prerotation of quads in ladies doesn’t concern him because no lady has landed a quad without prerotation at this point.

Is it really possible for a skater to learn to prerotate the same jump only when it’s a quad or is the possibility of quads and therefore medals only available to ladies who have been taught incorrect technique deliberately or otherwise? Can incorrect technique be learned later in a skater’s career or is it just as difficult to learn as it is to unlearn?

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

Someone else may remember and have the link bookmarked but there was an American girl on YouTube who said her rink brought in a new coach to teach them all to underrotate in a manner that’s harder for the TP to spot.

Today I saw this video of Max discussing Saitama scoring and ladies’ quads.

He said prerotation of quads in ladies doesn’t concern him because no lady has landed a quad without prerotation at this point.

Is it really possible for a skater to learn to prerotate the same jump only when it’s a quad or is the possibility of quads and therefore medals only available to ladies who have been taught incorrect technique deliberately or otherwise? Can incorrect technique be learned later in a skater’s career or is it just as difficult to learn as it is to unlearn?

wtf, deliberately trying to get away with URing is borderline cheating. this is why the ISU needs to switch to some kind of automatic rotation detecting system. set an amount of degrees you have to turn in the air for something to count as “fully rotated” and then deduct on a proportional basis for every degree short. the quad girls can still get partial credit for sort-of doing a quad but only people who don't go over the acceptable amount of PR+UR get full credit for their jumps.

42 minutes ago, river said:

Yeah, I'm learning my singles right alongside the kids at my rink and we're all being taught to pre-rotate our toe jumps 180 degrees...

Oh, man... :facepalm:

I'm afraid in a couple of years when Yuzu and some other skaters with impeccable or at least proper technique are r******, we will only see skaters with questionable technique. The question is then why bother with different jumps anyway? Why not mash all the jumps except for the Axel together and call it Flutzlooptoesal? :wut:

It’s very depressing- but these thing do go in cycles and the powers that be are not immortal - some of them will retire/ die in the next few years.  And maybe there will be coaches coming through who have some integrity.  God knows what Yuzuru will do but Javi is coaching, Lambiel, Joubert, I can imagine Jason as a coach or Patrick ( though I think he might be a bit hard to put up with tbh)

32 minutes ago, shanshani said:

wtf, deliberately trying to get away with URing is borderline cheating. this is why the ISU needs to switch to some kind of automatic rotation detecting system. set an amount of degrees you have to turn in the air for something to count as “fully rotated” and then deduct on a proportional basis for every degree short. the quad girls can still get partial credit for sort-of doing a quad but only people who don't go over the acceptable amount of prerotation get full credit for their jumps.

That would be an ideal solution. Add to that cameras in every corner of the rink, better technology for the judges to review jumps and such as well as split TES and PCS panel.

Oh, and naturally judges being trained, appointed and hired by an independent international board. This way, figure skating judging would become fair, accurate, accountable, reliable and transparent.

The question is, do the organizations and people that are in power actually want that to happen? :idk:

Of course not - it’s FIFA in miniature- they see it as an erosion of their power, and I am beginning to seriously doubt that they care about the sport at all - like Mr Blatter they like to trot out and officiate at ceremonies and travel to competitions but the ground level stuff?  I’ve seen no evidence of it.

We went through all this months ago - you only have to look at Shoma to see how difficult it is to rework bad technique which is why the - ‘but they’re so young’ excuse is untenable.  When they’re young they need to learn good techniques and work their way through the doubles and triples.  I have no time for cheated technique and little short cuts like moving the position of the blade on the boot.   Nor should the ISU - the governing body ffs- yet they are encouraging it by their lax attitude to scoring, and refusal to even consider the issue of prerotation.

1 hour ago, Yuzurella said:

Oh, man... :facepalm:

I'm afraid in a couple of years when Yuzu and some other skaters with impeccable or at least proper technique are r******, we will only see skaters with questionable technique. The question is then why bother with different jumps anyway? Why not mash all the jumps except for the Axel together and call it Flutzlooptoesal? :wut:

The quadruple Flutzberger and quadruple Toeaxel are very common jump types already. (With Toeaxel I do NOT mean Yuzu's 4T+3A seq.)

Tech upgrade for cameras is needed but they already only review jumps they flag and there are instances where they don’t flag them in the first place.

The argument for not upgrading the cameras is always one of cost. How humiliating it must... well, should be for the ISU when a spectator with a $1000 mobile phone does a better job than their tech panel. 

8 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Tech upgrade for cameras is needed but they already only review jumps they flag and there are instances where they don’t flag them in the first place.

The argument for not upgrading the cameras is always one of cost. How humiliating it must... well, should be for the ISU when a spectator with a $1000 mobile phone does a better job than their tech panel. 

my own phone cost me far less than my worlds ticket :yznotimpressed: ticket prices go up, budget allocated to fair judging does not

4 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

I read a few comments elsewhere, probably from an armchair fan like me who is not technically minded saying somewhat condescendingly that it isn’t possible to get good enough quality fancam footage to be able to tell.  I don’t engage in social media anywhere but here, but I was dying to get stuck in and tell them that in fact it was perfectly possible and a disgrace that ISU doesn’t cover more angles themselves.