Hi all!

I started again with my silly counts of crossovers, one foot skating & change directions (for now: later maybe transitions...).

However, this is the first result for crossovers / crossunders for the first top four skaters, with indication of reduction in the number of crossovers in percentage compared to last year when LP/FP lasted 4,5 mins instead of 4 mins (-20%).

Shoma Uno

SP: 21 crossovers / crossunders

LP: 39 crossovers / crossunders > - 20% in comparison to 2017

Yuzuru Hanyu

SP: 12 crossovers / crossunders

LP: 19 crossovers / crossunders > - 27% in comparison to 2017

Mikhail Kolyada

LP: 26 crossovers / crossunders > - 19% in comparison to 2017

Jason Brown

SP: 9 crossovers / crossunders

LP: 28 crossovers / crossunders > - 20% in comparison to 2017

So: in the LP/FP while all the others have decreased the number of crossovers almost in direct proportion of the reduction of time (and of one jump), Yuzuru has reduced them much, much more. And we are just at the beginning of the season.

I would like so much to have a nice confrontation about this with our dear judge n. 2  at ACI (Doug Wilson) so that he can explain me better who he was looking at to give his 7.50 score in TR or to understand if he values so much crossovers as TR that he had to score Yuzu so low because of the reduction.... :yznotimpressed:

1 hour ago, fireovertheice said:

Hi all!

I started again with my silly counts of crossovers, one foot skating & change directions (for now: later maybe transitions...).

However, this is the first result for crossovers / crossunders for the first top four skaters, with indication of reduction in the number of crossovers in percentage compared to last year when LP/FP lasted 4,5 mins instead of 4 mins (-20%).

Shoma Uno

Yuzuru Hanyu

Mikhail Kolyada

Jason Brown

So: in the LP/FP while all the others have decreased the number of crossovers almost in direct proportion of the reduction of time (and of one jump), Yuzuru has reduced them much, much more. And we are just at the beginning of the season.

I would like so much to have a nice confrontation about this with our dear judge n. 2  at ACI (Doug Wilson) so that he can explain me better who he was looking at to give his 7.50 score in TR or to understand if he values so much crossovers as TR that he had to score Yuzu so low because of the reduction.... :yznotimpressed:

Thank you so much for this!

Yuzuru is amazing!!! :bow:

9 hours ago, fireovertheice said:

Hi all!

Shoma Uno

Yuzuru Hanyu

Mikhail Kolyada

Jason Brown

Not silly.  I find it fascinating.  Thanks for posting this!

Looking through protocols for Ondrej Nepala, the Czech judge, Vera Kvarcakova, gave Mikhail Kolyada a 0.50 in interpretation in his SP! I'm pretty sure she must have just pressed the wrong button, but uh...shouldn't there be a little more protection against mistakes like this? 

Speaking of Nepala scores, I've only looked at Kolyada and Rika Kihira's scores so far, but the Russian judge, Olga Kozhemyakina, scored Kolyada 6.86 over the other judges and underscored Rika Kihara by 13.28 under the other judges. :headdesk2: 

On 3/1/2018 at 11:45 PM, Sombreuil said:

I read a post somewhere, ages ago, which commented on the particular coincidence of ability, personality, physical type, upbringing and lifetime experiences that had to happen to produce a champion like Yuzuru Hanyu.  The writer commented that no one would wish the series of events that helped to forge his personality and drive on anyone, it's unlikely we will see anything like him again and we should value him accordingly.

This quote is so true....I am feeling teary: he is the Secretariat of men's figure skating singles

22 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

To make something authentic, it has to have the spirit or the very essence of the culture that is portrayed. That's what I believe. You can mimic or copy things but if you don't have the heart, it is not the real thing. I felt Davis/White's performance had that zesty feeling of Bollywood movies and I've throughly enjoyed it. And sadly that was missing from Domnina/Shabalin's performance - the heart of the culture.

I totally agree. 

And I heard that Domnina/Shabalin chose that dance because of an injury and so they weren't able to do contemporary dances. Thus they "invented" one and it had to be part of "some culture" so they just claimed it was Aboriginal. I also heard that the Australia government complained to no avail. But this is all hearsay, I don't know much about them...

(Also moving it to the General Skating Chat because it's getting way too off topic :smiley-laughing021:)

3 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I totally agree. 

And I heard that Domnina/Shabalin chose that dance because of an injury and so they weren't able to do contemporary dances. Thus they "invented" one and it had to be part of "some culture" so they just claimed it was Aboriginal. I also heard that the Australia government complained to no avail. But this is all hearsay, I don't know much about them...

(Also moving it to the General Skating Chat because it's getting way too off topic :smiley-laughing021:)

I don't know any background of this particular program but I can see Australian government putting an official complaint like  "That's not even close mate!" But for the pair to actually perform in front of so many people, they had to have at least brave hearts to think "We got this. Let's do it! We can do it".  I kind of admire their very positive attitude...:rofl:

11 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I know it's early in the season but I'd be more worried about how he's handling school AND training 6 quad free skates :think:

I don't worry about him :)

but you are right.

Nate should be fine even with a 5 quad layout-most of the other men are doing 4 in the FS. It wouldn't hurt him to move more quads to the first half as training time is already cut significantly with schoolwork, and for this season at least, stability and consistency is more important than increasing the quad count with the new GOE range. He's got 4 types of quads-he can safely land on podiums if he lands all his jumps clean. That would lay a much better foundation for next season. Then train the 4Lo into shape and he should be fine for heading into 2022. 

(in so far as match-up with other guys are concerned. Nate's main loss would be against Yuzu, since usually Yuzu wins the GOE game. He is about even with Shoma, but overall Nate should have a higher BV and his PCs is rising-dead even and depending on things, possibly Nate edging out Shoma. There is a potential rival in Boyang on the BV count, but usually Boyang gets lower GOEs and PCs anyways, so Nate's PCS cushion against Boyang should still hold. Not sure why the layout is still focusing so much on the quad BV count, when Nate should be trying to cement higher GOEs and PCs, since that's the biggest difference between him and Yuzu.)

8 minutes ago, Xen said:

Nate should be fine even with a 5 quad layout-most of the other men are doing 4 in the FS. It wouldn't hurt him to move more quads to the first half as training time is already cut significantly with schoolwork, and for this season at least, stability and consistency is more important than increasing the quad count with the new GOE range. He's got 4 types of quads-he can safely land on podiums if he lands all his jumps clean. That would lay a much better foundation for next season. Then train the 4Lo into shape and he should be fine for heading into 2022. 

(in so far as match-up with other guys are concerned. Nate's main loss would be against Yuzu, since usually Yuzu wins the GOE game. He is about even with Shoma, but overall Nate should have a higher BV and his PCs is rising-dead even and depending on things, possibly Nate edging out Shoma. There is a potential rival in Boyang on the BV count, but usually Boyang gets lower GOEs and PCs anyways, so Nate's PCS cushion against Boyang should still hold. Not sure why the layout is still focusing so much on the quad BV count, when Nate should be trying to cement higher GOEs and PCs, since that's the biggest difference between him and Yuzu.)

since you mentioned GOEs...with the new system, I am seriously worried about Yuzu's GOEs and BVs now, considering Nathan's BV (6 quads) and potential GOEs everyone else get but not Yuzu...

i am still waiting for layout talk this season lol

6 minutes ago, SSS said:

since you mentioned GOEs...with the new system, I am seriously worried about Yuzu's GOEs and BVs now, considering Nathan's BV (6 quads) and potential GOEs everyone else get but not Yuzu...

Hmm, I'll wait to make conclusions about GOEs after I see more of the top 6 men skate relatively clean next to each other in the same competition. Judges should be able to judge each skater on an absolute basis, but really they judge skaters relative to each other. I'm forgetting which tweet it was, but some Japanese tweet had the highest scoring elements so far, and the highest still went to Yuzu, second was Shoma (diff was about 0.3). But since Yuzu had the slightly stricter ACI, while Shoma had Lombardia, I have a feeling those Lombardia points won't hold up. 

If I had to take a guess at how GOEs will be ranked amongst the top men this season for jumps, I would wager still, the order would be:

- Yuzu 

-Giant cluster of Shoma/Nate/Kolyada/Dima/Keegan 

-Boyang/Cha/Zhou 

On 10/6/2018 at 7:58 AM, SSS said:

Well, Zen-Zu wanted to do 4lo 4t 3lo || 4s3t 4t3a 3f2t 3a , but I think Kuyashii-Zu will remember there is still 3 JUMPS COMBO TO DO!!  On other hand is there really place to do -eu-3s? :shrug:

And I think Nate will drop one quad (probably 4lo). Last season, 6 quads were barely possible. With 30 seconds less and new pace of programs, he should not be able to do it.