General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, micaelis said:

I think when Yuzu fills the seats in a baseball stadium and not a mere arena (we're talking about 50,000 versus 15000 seats) both ISU and JSF will realize what they lost when they more or less forced Yuzu to exit competing.  The thing is Yuzu is, as has been said by many others, is a skating rock star and he'll fill up the stands at that baseball field in Tokyo just like the Beatles did in that baseball field in New York City in 1964.

37 minutes ago, Perelandra said:

You are absolutely correct. This will be especially telling if Gift sells out and the other ice shows scheduled for the same days do not. 

As previously discussed on various social platforms, had Yuzu been treated fairly as a competitive athlete, there would have been ample opportunity for a two times Olys champ to be invited to the galas as an honoured guest to skate and sell the gala tickets. Yuzu could have sustained the big organisations and delighted fans for years. 

A squandered chance, but Yuzu has shown us Prologue and will soon be bringing Gift to those who wish to continue giving Yuzu their support and encouragement. 

To quote Puck

" O what fools these mortals be "

The success of Yuzu's ice shows with every seat filled through highly competitive ticket lotteries is the best proof of Yuzu's enormous popularity. At the same time, the glaringly empty seats at every GP and even the GP Final this year, as well as the empty seats at non-Yuzu ice shows, tell a clear story about what is left of the popularity of figure skating without Yuzu.

The ISU and JSF are reaping what they sowed. They can now go and enjoy their empty seats, give away their tickets for free, try to promote very mediocre skaters and call them "quad gods", or whatever. Yuzu is free and thriving. And so are we. :dancingpooh:

22 hours ago, YuDai said:

I saw that! though, not to be a party pooper:scared0012: but in english it just talks about rink ratio which is 2:1, so the same as a 60x30m rink, it doen't really say it will be 85x42.5m...

22 hours ago, gapil27 said:

Is he going around wearing those right now? Very “I’m an athlete” energy lol. It’s like I’m going to practice after this so why not :PikachuLayingDown:

in his other TV appearances ---like when he did a tour of Sendai local programs LOL, but also the new pics about the special talk with Kyozuka and this last suitZuru surprise appearance--- he seesm to go for formal outfits (and fitted suits! Something I would have hard time to believe till not so long ago:68468287:), but maybe, since it was for a radio show, he went for practicality :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

6 hours ago, Melodie said:

We no longer have the Salt thread so I don't really know wherelse to say this but here goes nothing LOL

I just saw a CM for the coming JNats and can I just say, how shameless JSF and Fuji TV are for using Yuzu's images and footages like that. The man is not even in the circus anymore LOL. 

If they are so, so, so very confident about the faces they chose to promote, why not just relying on them? All the resources needed are there (in theory) for drama and click and attention, no?

Also, what new hero? None of the skaters showing up are even new LOL (except baby Mao)

charitable rose-colored glass POV:

they're paying due homage to the skater who's been the face of Jpn skating for a good decade, as they should!
cynic POV:

Spoiler

of course they are not confident.

thus far data show that "new stars" are not as appealing as the "old star" they worked so hard to replace. Which, at a time Jpn skating as a whole is all around extremely strong on the international scene ---for various reasons, including: finally having a good Pairs team, post-olys retirements/hiatus, Rus ban and new US anointed ones being not-as-consistent yet--- is kind of sad to see tbh. Many skaters deserve full house, being showered and all the media attention... but the world's unfair like that, good results alone don't necessary traslate into drawing power  and JSF pissing off at least a portion of Jpn FS audience didn't help

So they still "need" Yuzuru to generate interest --and it makes indeed for "cool" narrative, to frame the whole thing as some kind of "succession".

tbh I find funny(bitter kind of funny) that even "ageism" in FS can be weirdly targeted, because narratives have been about overthrowing Yuzuru and crowning new kings for so long, but somehow a veteran skater like SU is counted as new hero? Now? How? he's been around so long too, and already won iirc 4Nats titles, there's literally nothing new about him (nor about his programs, my snarky side adds) and he basically has the 5th guaranteed ---cuz no mistake of his will ever be called at JNats, as per usual, no one of the younger skaters will be able/allowed to come close even landing a gazillion quads, and the only contender who could actually have the points to make him worry is coming back from a serious injury---.

But I guess podium being otherwise wide open can make it look as if this were a new era...

well, tbh I don't think this kind of promo will particularly draw  people besides those who were already thinking to follow the comp

For me, this JNats will finally be one that I can comletely skip. No more Christmas&co spent with my heart in my throat obsessively refreshing to get Team designations - like in 2017 and 2018 - or experiencing the competition jitters --and heartbreaks (2019)--. Of course, I'll miss the ebullience of long-awaited Yuzu appearances&new programs&whatever else benign chaos he could unleash the past two Nats, and the utter joy happy Yuzu jumping on podium and then the gift of his gala programs, but these past month we've been having lots of happy, smiley, healing Yuzuru, so I can't really complain:tumblr_inline_n2pjd3guzE1qdlkyg:

I'll still catch straw updates coming my way for the ladies, but honestly don't know if I'll even watch anything at all

BUT it looks like I'll still need to balance family&cooking preparations(and/or sleep) for livestreaming/updates XDD  and so kind of Yuzu to make not one but several appearances right after I said I missed him:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw:

2 hours ago, lajoitko said:

Does anyone want to speculate about GIFT broadcast? GIFT infopage says that there will be cameras, so the question is will it be a (live) broadcast, livestream, DVD or a combination of these? Does anyone know how Amuse has handled events at Tokyo Dome before? I suppose that at least covid taught them how to do a livestream? I have seen some speculation/rumours about possible broadcasters. Seems like Asahi is collaborating with another ice show on the same date as GIFT, so it is unlikely to be the broadcaster. The new program on 12/25 has produced some speculation that this time it could be TBS with the broadcasting rights.

I read the same speculations about TBS, but I have no further insights to add to the debate

It actually had not occured to me, at first, the chance of no livebroadcast, because in the last few years almost every Zu appearance got boradcast at some point, even if not integrally at least a cut:14066882: If no broadcast, I'll probably die inside a little:deadinside:  then I'd hope at the very least for a DVD later, even if it's not ideal (even more than higher cost compared to a possible livestream through normal TV subscription or a dedicated one, it's because idk if I'd even be able to watch a DVD at all, might need a specific dvd recorder? stupid regions thingies)

tbh, I think broadcasters would be very stupid not to cover such an unprecedented event. Like, not only broadcast, it deserves a full behind the scenes documentary!

Unless Yuzuru already opted to keep everything for DVD release.... I guess we have to wait for next Yuzu updates (crossing everything in the meanwhile)!

4 hours ago, micaelis said:

I think when Yuzu fills the seats in a baseball stadium and not a mere arena (we're talking about 50,000 versus 15000 seats) both ISU and JSF will realize what they lost when they more or less forced Yuzu to exit competing.  The thing is Yuzu is, as has been said by many others, is a skating rock star and he'll fill up the stands at that baseball field in Tokyo just like the Beatles did in that baseball field in New York City in 1964.

Yes, Yuzu skating in Tokyo Dome will be just like the Beatles' Shea Stadium concert...unmatched and imcomparable to anything before that.

1 hour ago, EisElle said:

charitable rose-colored glass POV:

they're paying due homage to the skater who's been the face of Jpn skating for a good decade, as they should

I must have rose coloured glasses I suppose - I can't bear the thought of Yuzuru just being ignored at this JNats as he is still the reigning champion, and a six times champion at that! They better bloody acknowledge him! (but I totally understand the cynical POV too, knowing JSF....)

5 hours ago, lajoitko said:

Seems like Asahi is collaborating with another ice show on the same date as GIFT, so it is unlikely to be the broadcaster

Really?? Oh no, TV Asahi so far is so generous about the show's footages and not gatekeeping them while we all know how FujiTV gatekept what happened in Kobe till this day :( I wonder if GIFT and another ice show held on different time, so maybe Asahi can broadcast GIFT too.

I'm sad if there is no broadcast for GIFT. I mean that sounds kinda cruel to international fans and  japanese fans who lost in lottery.. :tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5:

7 hours ago, micaelis said:

Unless I’m missing something, there’s nothing in the rules of conduct for spectators to prohibit screaming. If that’s the case, it will be absolute pandemonium. And I will love every deafening, bone-rattling second. 
:volcano:

4 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

Unless I’m missing something, there’s nothing in the rules of conduct for spectators to prohibit screaming. If that’s the case, it will be absolute pandemonium. And I will love every deafening, bone-rattling second. 
:volcano:

Hate to be the party pooper, but the lottery application had some venue rules listed including COVID precautions. This rule would discourage screaming:

・Avoid airtightness, crowding, and close contact, and refrain from loud conversations and contact (handover of goods, handshakes, high fives, etc.) between customers in the venue.

In addition, I think they verbally announce rules at the beginning of the show which might include a request for people not to scream.

In Prologue, there was no screaming except when people got too excited at the GIFT announcement. I assume the same rules will apply to GIFT.

It's sad, but I'm glad they are trying to keep everyone safe. Most people are wearing surgical masks at the venue. These masks are not tightly fitted, so there will be leakage along the edges if people are screaming and everyone is sitting very close to each other.

It would be so amazing if screaming was allowed though (damn COVID). Just clapping is not sufficient because many wear gloves so it muffles the sound. Also, many are waving a banner, so they can't clap. And when you've been clapping hard throughout the show, by the end your hands are all red and they hurt so you can't clap as loud as you want. At competitions, I used to fake clap at the end for the other skaters except for Yuzu.:13877886:

3 minutes ago, IceWings said:

Hate to be the party pooper, but the lottery application had some venue rules listed including COVID precautions. This rule would discourage screaming:

In addition, I think they verbally announce rules at the beginning of the show which might include a request for people not to scream.

In Prologue, there was no screaming except when people got too excited at the GIFT announcement. I assume the same rules will apply to GIFT.

It's sad, but I'm glad they are trying to keep everyone safe. Most people are wearing surgical masks at the venue. These masks are not tightly fitted, so there will be leakage along the edges if people are screaming and everyone is sitting very close to each other.

It would be so amazing if screaming was allowed though (damn COVID). Just clapping is not sufficient because many wear gloves so it muffles the sound. Also, many are waving a banner, so they can't clap. And when you've been clapping hard throughout the show, by the end your hands are all red and they hurt so you can't clap as loud as you want. At competitions, I used to fake clap at the end for the other skaters except for Yuzu.:13877886:

Even China has just relaxed its Covid restrictions -- Japan has got to allow screaming at Yuzu's ice shows! 

26 minutes ago, SaluYuzu said:

Even China has just relaxed its Covid restrictions -- Japan has got to allow screaming at Yuzu's ice shows! 

How amazing would it be to hear the Tokyo Dome crowd roar and see Pooh rain! (Although with that many people throwing Poohs, that might be a danger for Yuzu. :P )

Or maybe they can sell some sort of noise maker. At one Olympics, they sold cow bells and spectators would gather along the ski / bobsled / etc. routes and ring the bells when the athletes passed by.

@SaluYuzu, hope things get better for you at work.