General Yuzuru Chat

Hi everybody, I’m new on the Planet - finally managed to get myself registered! :wave:After almost 4 years of lurking I guess it’s time to share my little story with you and apply to be officially enfanyuated. 17thFebruary 2018 changed the life of my whole family. We were following the Olympics, watching ski jumping, biathlon etc. And if it wasn’t for my mother who told me about the German gold ambitions in the pairs’ competition, we would have missed figure skating completely. Like we had in 2014. Although I had really enjoyed watching Kati Witt on TV with my mother back in the 80s. 

German TV reported on the men’s event very early in the morning. (It was Daniel Weiß who also commented the popular Sportschau video of LMEY last year.) Luckily we had recorded it to watch it later that day. When they showed Yuzu’s face in the starting pose of Seimei, I was like: “Wow … who is that? He is strikingly handsome!” We saw him skate and nothing was like it had been 5 minutes ago. When he was fighting the tears in the Kiss & Cry, my teenage daughter and I had already fallen into the rabbit hole. When her dad got home we re-watched it all together and he shared our amazement. :heartpound:

My first emergency measure was to print a picture of Yuzu for my daughter’s room so she could look at him before going to sleep. Further, to her delight, I dumped our restriction of internet consumption. Instead of watching TV we switched to “YuzuTube”. (How crazy is it to watch a 50 minute press conference in Japanese if you don’t understand a word?) Why on earth hadn’t we discovered him during Sochi Olympics ?!?! Helsinki is not so far away - we could have gone to Worlds in 2017 !!! :banginghead:

Somebody must have heard me crying … When we read Yuzu was going to Helsinki Grand Prix I couldn’t believe it. The event even matched our school holidays! So I reorganized my financial priorities and started communicating online, getting invaluable support from other Yuzu fans and succeeded in buying tickets. (It wasn’t easy to get 3 decent seats side by side, though.) Anyway: It was the 1sttime ever I was looking forward to November - the greyest of all months. The 3 of us spent the best 4 days of our lives in Jäähalli. The atmosphere, the roaring applause like in a football stadium ... :cheer:

Having avoided social media, I had never imagined to find such a nice community on the world-wide web. :grouphug: It’s so much fun reading that most fanyus do as we did - celebrate the anniversaries of Yuzu’s 2nd Olympic gold to drown once again in the emotions that overcame us so unexpectedly (not being able to sleep or work etc.). And now I can hardly bear the anxiety before Beijing. Who would have thought he’d be in a position to try to defend his title again? Even if that’s not his priority. At Helsinki GP, I recall hearing fanyus whispering: “The best is yet to come!” :panic:

If there was no Yuzuru Hanyu, my family wouldn’t be planning holidays in line with figure skating competitions. The 3 of us wouldn’t share this joy and excitement. There would be a big hole in our lives.

36 minutes ago, Ulrinis said:

Hi everybody, I’m new on the Planet - finally managed to get myself registered! :wave:After almost 4 years of lurking I guess it’s time to share my little story with you and apply to be officially enfanyuated. 17thFebruary 2018 changed the life of my whole family. We were following the Olympics, watching ski jumping, biathlon etc. And if it wasn’t for my mother who told me about the German gold ambitions in the pairs’ competition, we would have missed figure skating completely. Like we had in 2014. Although I had really enjoyed watching Kati Witt on TV with my mother back in the 80s. 

German TV reported on the men’s event very early in the morning. (It was Daniel Weiß who also commented the popular Sportschau video of LMEY last year.) Luckily we had recorded it to watch it later that day. When they showed Yuzu’s face in the starting pose of Seimei, I was like: “Wow … who is that? He is strikingly handsome!” We saw him skate and nothing was like it had been 5 minutes ago. When he was fighting the tears in the Kiss & Cry, my teenage daughter and I had already fallen into the rabbit hole. When her dad got home we re-watched it all together and he shared our amazement. :heartpound:

My first emergency measure was to print a picture of Yuzu for my daughter’s room so she could look at him before going to sleep. Further, to her delight, I dumped our restriction of internet consumption. Instead of watching TV we switched to “YuzuTube”. (How crazy is it to watch a 50 minute press conference in Japanese if you don’t understand a word?) Why on earth hadn’t we discovered him during Sochi Olympics ?!?! Helsinki is not so far away - we could have gone to Worlds in 2017 !!! :banginghead:

Somebody must have heard me crying … When we read Yuzu was going to Helsinki Grand Prix I couldn’t believe it. The event even matched our school holidays! So I reorganized my financial priorities and started communicating online, getting invaluable support from other Yuzu fans and succeeded in buying tickets. (It wasn’t easy to get 3 decent seats side by side, though.) Anyway: It was the 1sttime ever I was looking forward to November - the greyest of all months. The 3 of us spent the best 4 days of our lives in Jäähalli. The atmosphere, the roaring applause like in a football stadium ... :cheer:

Having avoided social media, I had never imagined to find such a nice community on the world-wide web. :grouphug: It’s so much fun reading that most fanyus do as we did - celebrate the anniversaries of Yuzu’s 2nd Olympic gold to drown once again in the emotions that overcame us so unexpectedly (not being able to sleep or work etc.). And now I can hardly bear the anxiety before Beijing. Who would have thought he’d be in a position to try to defend his title again? Even if that’s not his priority. At Helsinki GP, I recall hearing fanyus whispering: “The best is yet to come!” :panic:

If there was no Yuzuru Hanyu, my family wouldn’t be planning holidays in line with figure skating competitions. The 3 of us wouldn’t share this joy and excitement. There would be a big hole in our lives.

Welcome to Yuzu's Planet! :welcome:

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It's such a pleasure to read about people falling in love with Yuzu and becoming Fanyus. Have fun and enjoy the ride! :heart:

59 minutes ago, Ulrinis said:

I love your story! I have posted my story of falling down the Yuzu rabbit hole numerous times before, but like you, it was serendipitous. I was not a figure skating fan. The last time I had watched a figure skating competition was probably (and I can’t be sure about this) “The Battle of the Brians” between Brian Orser and Brian Boitano at the 1988 Calgary Winter Games and that too was accidental rather than planned. As I have said before, I was channel surfing when I came across Yuzu and Parisienne Walkways… And, like so many others, my life changed. Before Yuzu, I had never been a fan of anyone.

Others have told similar stories of fortuitously chancing upon Yuzu and this changing their lives. For example, Christina Valdez, the owner and director of the Crescendo Conservatory in Kansas City was on her way home from ballet classes with her daughter when her daughter insisted that she watch a Japanese figure skater scheduled to perform on TV that evening. When she watched Yuzu for the first time, he was performing his short program, Chopin Ballad No. 1. She was mesmerized and asked her daughter which ballet school he was from. She did not believe it when her daughter told her that he trained in Toronto and that it was not a ballet school. She thought that he was formally trained in ballet and was immediately enamored with Yuzu. You may have already read her story and seen the tribute ballet performances that she made honoring Yuzu such as “Notte Stellata”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzVx2P7TYM

And the hour-long “Beauty, Ballet and Yuzuru Hanyu”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCfgA9ldtOQ

I have seen countless Japanese videos of Yuzu and how so many people personally attest to him changing their lives and giving them the inspiration, motivation and strength to deal with their lives and challenges.

1 hour ago, Ulrinis said:

Hello welcome to the Planet. 

So nice to read about how you came to join us down the rabbit hole.  (It must be a super massive rabbit hole to accommodate us all.)

:balloons-smiley:

Hace 2 horas, Ulrinis said:

Herzlich willkommen!!!! Love your story and it's a great time to join and send Yuzu all possible energy and good vibes! Enjoy it here!:tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw:

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

J'adore ton histoire ! J'ai déjà publié mon histoire de chute dans le terrier du lapin Yuzu, mais comme vous, c'était un heureux hasard. Je n'étais pas un fan de patinage artistique. La dernière fois que j'avais regardé une compétition de patinage artistique était probablement (et je ne peux pas en être sûr) "La bataille des Brians" entre Brian Orser et Brian Boitano aux Jeux d'hiver de 1988 à Calgary et c'était aussi accidentel plutôt que prévu . Comme je l'ai déjà dit, je surfais sur les chaînes quand je suis tombé sur Yuzu et Parisienne Walkways… Et, comme tant d'autres, ma vie a basculé. Avant Yuzu, je n'avais jamais été fan de personne.

D'autres ont raconté des histoires similaires de hasarder Yuzu par hasard et cela a changé leur vie. Par exemple, Christina Valdez, propriétaire et directrice du Crescendo Conservatory à Kansas City, rentrait chez elle après des cours de ballet avec sa fille lorsque celle-ci a insisté pour qu'elle regarde une patineuse artistique japonaise qui devait se produire à la télévision ce soir-là. Lorsqu'elle a regardé Yuzu pour la première fois, il jouait son programme court, Chopin Ballad No. 1. Elle était hypnotisée et a demandé à sa fille de quelle école de ballet il venait. Elle ne l'a pas cru lorsque sa fille lui a dit qu'il s'était entraîné à Toronto et que ce n'était pas une école de ballet. She thought he had been formally trained in ballet and was immediately in love with Yuzu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzVx2P7TYM

And the hour "Beauty, ballet and Yuzuru Hanyu".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCfgA9ldtOQ

I have seen countless Japanese videos of Yuzu and how so many people personally attest that he has changed their lives and given them inspiration, motivation and strength to face their lives and their challenges.

I add to GEO1 in relation to your story  :peace2:  and I have enjoyed figure skating for x years and was dazzled by the famous G&G and K Witt is also an excellent skater who has a great punch and TOP your "yuzutube" and it is also I am in  :girlsigh: front of his performances and quickly saw his capacities of inspiration of classical dance and had already posted the "yuzutube" of GEO1 with the presence of Mr  : YuzuPoohLove:   indispensable and it is clear that Yuzu also changed my life in front of this man who made of pure art and his determination / his will and which is my lifeline in this current world. 

I also add, by the same company "Haru Yo Koi" with in the background photos of sakura which are  :animated-smileys-character-075:  and also WELCOME to our planet and our rabbit pit, because we are a sacred tribe :peek:

Kyohei Sorita, who won the second prize at the Chopin Piano Competition, is talking about Yuzuru's Chopin Ballad No. 1 on the newest edition of NUMBER.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyohei_Sorita

This is a web article, different from the article of the magazine, but IMO the basic points are the same (his respect for Yuzu :agree:).

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/851595

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/photo/851595

Also, Yasuyuki Shuto, a famous Japanese ballet dancer, is talking about Yuzuru's White Legend.

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/851560

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/photo/851560

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
3 hours ago, Ulrinis said:

Welcome! And thank you for sharing your story! Yuzu really does make people's lives better, doesn't he? Just by being his own wonderful self. 

:snpeace:

10 minutes ago, Melodie said:

You gotta fly to get the bears :Poohgaveup:

The nearest ANA route to me is New York - Haneda, flying daily :Poohgaveup:

maybe I can get an ANA flight to France for Worlds, if I go the scenic route: Ottawa >New York> Haneda> Paris. It would be worth it for an official Yuzu bear. :snbleh:

6 hours ago, Ulrinis said:

It’s lovely to hear the positive Yuzu-related experiences your family shares.  Welcome to the planet! I was wary of social media but decided to take the leap of faith  in being part of this planet last July after lurking here for sometime to ascertain this is a safe outlet to offload my opinions and grouses. Being able to do so helps  in maintaining a healthy mental state. Hence, am thankful of the existence of this planet and all involved.