General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, sweetwater said:

I thought about posting this when the last time this became a topic of conversation. I didn't because firstly, I don't like to argue over a prediction, and secondary, it was basically about the Olympics, not about Yuzu. However, reading the conversation above, I wanted to share my view. It is long and not fun, so I am going to put it in a spoiler.

Hide contents

Our government and the OC used to promote Tokyo2020 as the "Recovery Olympics," but it has become less connected to 311 as the pandemic proceeded. 

In 2018, Mansai Nomura, the chief executive creative director of the opening ceremony at that time, said that the spirit of "Requiem and rebirth" would be the theme of the ceremony. However, the theme has shifted to something else since the pandemic. Last July, the OC released a promotional clip directed by Hiroshi Sasaki, one of the creative directors of the opening ceremony and the director of the flag handover ceremony at Rio2016. The promo clip featured Olympic swimmer Rikako Ikee who had been suffering from leukemia since 2019. Its focus was on athletes enduring under this circumstance and the people supporting them. Then in the autumn, PM Suga said that the Olympics would be held as "proof that humanity had overcome COVID." At the end of the year, the OC disbanded the team led by Mansai and appointed Sasaki, the director of the promotional clip for the new chief director, although he had to quit over a scandal a few months later.

In March, Kahoku Shinpo, a local newspaper based in Sendai, published a column.

Here is my translation:

"It will be held as proof that humanity has defeated the new coronavirus." Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga repeatedly said this toward the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics this summer, which has been postponed for one year from the original schedule. The wording surprised us and made us feel uneasy because it was detached from reality.

We had the same feelings during the campaign to host the Olympics.  Shinzo Abe, the Prime Minister at that time, said in his speech, "Fukushima is under control," while it still bears the huge scars from the accident that occurred in TEPCO's Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, and many affected people are still unable to return to their home.

What gave the sense of aversion in both cases was their stance of prioritizing holding the Olympics. The current situation appears to be no different. While the spread of new coronavirus infection has not yet subsided, the preparation for the Olympics proceeds, focusing on how it can be held.

Allowing general spectators from overseas, which had been the biggest challenge, was abandoned.  On 25th, the torch relay is going to start in J-Village, a soccer facility in Naraha and Hirono, Fukushima. In a national telephone poll conducted by Kyodo News in February, over 80 percent of the respondents were still calling for a review on holding the Olympics this summer.

"It's time to cancel this year's Olympic Games." At the beginning of this month, The Times published a column with such title. It also says, "The risk is too big not only for Japan but also for the world," and, "No matter what measures will be taken, people will get infected, and some may die." How should Japan respond to the anxiety of the world? We have numerous challenges and bear a heavy responsibility."

Original:

河北春秋(3/21):「人類が新型コロナウイルスに打ち勝った証

https://kahoku.news/articles/20210320khn000066.html

I quote Kahoku because it is a media of where Yuzu lives, but I believe many Japanese are more or less feeling this way, regardless of where they live. If the OC expects that they can defuse such sentiments by using a popular athlete, I would say they are incompetent and cruel because there is a conflict of interest between athletes and other people regarding the Olympics. I am not sure if international media has reported this, but Kohei Uchimura has been harshly criticized for asking people to change their mindset and try to figure out a way to hold the Olympics instead of just saying it would be impossible. Rikako Ikee was asked to withdraw from the Olympics on Twitter after she won an Olympic berth. Before the pandemic, people were cheering for them as they were fighting with injuries and disease. Of course, fans are still supporting them, but others are becoming less supportive because they see Olympics as a hindrance. IOC assuring the vaccination for the participants while saying the Japanese would endure with patience is making the situation worse. 

If I could choose between drought and seeing Yuzu in the Olympic-related event, I would choose the former. I would rather worry about Yuzu working on 4A than worry about Yuzu in a rock-and-a-hard-place situation to save the situation for IOC or our government. If he takes a role in it, he would definitely try his best to make the action meaningful, but it is IOC and our government who can truly make the situation less hell-ish, and they are responsible to do so.  As a starter, I would like IOC to stop allowing drinking in the Olympic Village if they have no plan to cancel the event.

Sorry for the long rant. 

Reference:

Presentation by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the 125th Session of the International Olympic Committee (IOC)

https://japan.kantei.go.jp/96_abe/statement/201309/07ioc_presentation_e.html

リオオリンピック 閉会式 - Rio to TokyoRio Olympic

野村萬斎「鎮魂と再生の精神を生かす」東京2020開閉会式の記者会見

https://natalie.mu/stage/news/293399

Olympics: "Requiem and rebirth" will be theme of Tokyo 2020: team

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018/07/c80ba1ae46d2-olympics-tokyo-2020-creative-team-to-showcase-japanese-spirit.html

⼀年後へ。⼀歩進む。~+1(プラスワン)メッセージ~ TOKYO2020

菅首相「東京五輪、人類がコロナに打ち勝った証に」開催に改めて意欲 施政方針演説

https://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/80572

Japan’s Suga tells UN Tokyo is ‘determined’ to host Olympics

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/9/26/japans-suga-tells-un-tokyo-is-determined-to-host-olympics

内村航平「どうやったらできるか」五輪開催へ使命感
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202011080001107.html

野村萬斎氏「苦渋の決断だが納得した」旧体制の解散

https://www.nikkansports.com/olympic/tokyo2020/news/202012230000832.html

Reorganization of the opening and closing ceremony production team for the Olympics, leaving Mansai Nomura and others –Tokyo Olympics 2020: Nikkan Sports

https://www.world-today-news.com/reorganization-of-the-opening-and-closing-ceremony-production-team-for-the-olympics-leaving-mansai-nomura-and-others-tokyo-olympics-2020-nikkan-sports/

Tokyo Olympics will show victory against coronavirus: Japan PM Suga

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210118/p2g/00m/0na/091000c

It's time to cancel this year's Olympic Games

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/its-time-to-cancel-the-2021-olympic-games-3pb6sq9w9

Editorial: Top planner again makes mockery of Tokyo Games' 'Unity in Diversity' principle

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210322/p2a/00m/0op/008000c

池江璃花子に五輪辞退求める声「私は何も変えられない」SNSで思い吐露
https://www.nikkansports.com/olympic/tokyo2020/swimming/news/202105070001212.html

I fully agree with all that you say above about the Olympics.  I  also wanted to leave the topic out of this forum, but as we are approaching the Olympics I think it's important to share what is going on so that the satellites can understand and be prepared for the heart twisting that is going on in Japan rn.   The situation in Japan wrt the Olympics is only superficially covered in international media, and they don't go far enough into explaining the outright politicization by the government (who couldn't care less about Tohoku recovery) and bullying by the IOC.  This is a common theme that infiltrates ISU/JSF as well as most elite sporting events (tennis, for example).   The Olympics has become so tainted and toxic in Japan that I wish Yuzu would be left in peace and allowed to focus on his 4A (and protect his mental health).

PS I should add that I fully appreciate other satellites wishing Yuzu to be a torch bearer as a recognition of his contributions to the athletic world.  I would have loved to see Yuzu participate in the opening ceremony with Nomura Mansai as the artistic director.  It is unfortunate that even Mansai left that position and it has been taken over by another politically compliant personage... 

24 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

New (?) fancam from Stockholm 

[NEWS]

And he does that little step sequence and jump combo right on the music notes at the end, seemingly without even trying. His musicality is unreal.

As regards the Olympics,  I don't even feel I should comment. Everyone involved is in between a rock and a hard place no matter what choice they make. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

As regards the Olympics,  I don't even feel I should comment. Everyone involved is in between a rock and a hard place no matter what choice they make. 

Same. I really believe that in the distant future, if Japan gets a new chance to host the Olympic games, Yuzuru will play an important role in whatever ceremony. May he then be in a less tricky situation than he possibly is at the moment!

9 hours ago, Umebachi said:

I fully agree with all that you say above about the Olympics.  I  also wanted to leave the topic out of this forum, but as we are approaching the Olympics I think it's important to share what is going on so that the satellites can understand and be prepared for the heart twisting that is going on in Japan rn.   The situation in Japan wrt the Olympics is only superficially covered in international media, and they don't go far enough into explaining the outright politicization by the government (who couldn't care less about Tohoku recovery) and bullying by the IOC.  This is a common theme that infiltrates ISU/JSF as well as most elite sporting events (tennis, for example).   The Olympics has become so tainted and toxic in Japan that I wish Yuzu would be left in peace and allowed to focus on his 4A (and protect his mental health).

PS I should add that I fully appreciate other satellites wishing Yuzu to be a torch bearer as a recognition of his contributions to the athletic world.  I would have loved to see Yuzu participate in the opening ceremony with Nomura Mansai as the artistic director.  It is unfortunate that even Mansai left that position and it has been taken over by another politically compliant personage... 

Thank you @Umebachi and @sweetwater for these insights and information, it is obviously a complex situation, and one that seems forever changing too.  I always hope that politicians will have high ideals, but am usually disappointed so no change there! (I still believe SOME politicians do though, but they are rarely the ones with power it would seem!)

You of course are right that getting a chance to see Yuzuru is not the priority here.  (But I still feel for him, and the difficult situation he might find himself in, again)

19 時間前, Yuzurellaさんが言いました:

In some fanarts, there's a mini Yuzu for every single one of his programs! :grin:

Yuzu's kids would learn to Axel before they would learn how to walk. :LOL:

Regarding Yuzu revealing something about himself, well, I actually would want to know what happened to his original Pooh and why the old guy retired. That's probably the most private thing we could get from Yuzu. Or perhaps it's something along the lines of how he finally learned how to make gyoza himself. Or that except for strawberries, he also loves blueberries very much. :nod2:

On the topic of the Olympics, I think it's very likely that Yuzu will play a prominent role in the opening considering his achievements as an thlete and also his popularity and importance in Japan. As far as I know, taking the Olympic oath has to be done by an athlete who participates in the games and represents all participating athletes. So, Yuzu won't be the one doing that.

He will probably not be the one who lights the cauldron either. I believe that will be done by an accomplished summer games athlete who is already retired. I think Yuzu might possibly be the last torchbearer and the one who hands the torch to the person who will light the cauldron.

Either way, it's quite a pity the Olympic Games won't be the way the were intended to be. I do hope that the pandemic situation will be better in Tokyo and all of Japan by then.

Actually, the situation in Japan as to COVID-19 is improving recently, and the vaccination is being extended across the nation drastically.  As usual, Japan takes time before launching something, but it starts moving really fast and steadily after some procedures are established.

I think there is now more possibility that the Olympics will be held.  But I don't think Yuzuru will be there regardless of the events including open or closing ceremony.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/pages/article/20200207

Off season is going slowly, so I did a thing.

An Ultimate Evil Fanyu Quiz:sin:

Try to guess from which programs are these clusters!

Little hint: There is no LGC and LMEY. ;P

b5cN6i5.gif

RCcQ1vB.gif

H5C1FOH.gif

fYzGbdE.gif

F5teFGM.gif

p8Dzigy.gif

KDJw7DM.gif

7Y2lwkv.gif

3WWK3kF.gif

IIMbZUW.gif

2 hours ago, Paskud said:

b5cN6i5.gif

RCcQ1vB.gif

H5C1FOH.gif

fYzGbdE.gif

F5teFGM.gif

p8Dzigy.gif

KDJw7DM.gif

7Y2lwkv.gif

3WWK3kF.gif

IIMbZUW.gif

....I now realize the drawback of Yuzu always wearing black pants! These could all be the same program and we'd never know! 

3 hours ago, Paskud said:

Thank you! Well, after my first reaction :grin_clapping: I am pretty quick in :smiley_hairpull: state. I should have read carefully the title of your Quiz... Always love to watch Yuzurus footwork though. But I guess I need the whole body picture in Under Armour.

4 hours ago, Paskud said:

I love this quiz! Here are my guesses:  

Spoiler

1. Seimei

2. PW

3. Etude

4. Otonal

5. Tenchi

6. RJ1

7. NDP

8. RJ2

9. Chopin

10. H&L

22 minutes ago, Saawa said:

I love this quiz! Here are my guesses:  

You should put your answers in spoiler since I haven't attempted this quiz yet and don't want to accidentally cheat :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow:

Btw, great jobs on answering. I'm not great at recognizing clusters so I've been procrastinating on this evil quiz lol

7 minutes ago, amylance1215 said:

You should put your answers in spoiler since I haven't attempted this quiz yet and don't want to accidentally cheat :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow:

Btw, great jobs on answering. I'm not great at recognizing clusters so I've been procrastinating on this evil quiz lol

You're right, sorry! :headdesk:I've edited it. 

Thank you all for caring about Japan and Tokyo Olympics, and thank other Japanese posters explaining the situation in our country. Before pandemic, I had much hope for Yuzuru to take part in the Olympics in some way, but right now I really don't know. It's insane the event is less than 50 days away but no official announcement has been made on how it will be held. I am going to support Yuzuru whatever decision he makes, and as a sports fan, I will support all athletes who come for the game and cheer for them in front of TV in my house. 

While Yuzuru is in Kanto for DOI, he might do some jobs such as filming 24hr TV stuff. Just my guess though.  

4 minutes ago, yude said:

I am going to support Yuzuru whatever decision he makes, and as a sports fan, I will support all athletes who come for the game and cheer for them in front of TV in my house. 

Same! Whatever decision Yuzu makes, he would have thought deeply about it. There may or may not be contractual obligations he has. In whatever the case, his presence of absence will not affect my feelings towards the Olympics committee or the Olympics itself. I will support him and the athletes.