General Yuzuru Chat

4 minutes ago, Fay said:

How come you speak of the LOTR here? A Tolkien nerd is asking.. 

The fanart posted above? But I seem to remember that there's quite a few of us Tolkien nerds on this forum...

I had started a fantasy-inspired Yuzu series too but now I'm to ashamed by the comparison to ever post my own work

11 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I've read LOTR and The Hobbits in Japanese in my junior high school days. Don't know about now but back then, they're using rather old expressions and wording so it wasn't easy to understand...:13877886: (got the emoji button back)

9 minutes ago, barbara said:

Dense text and invented languages that have no translation (unless you want to go to the films and translate the subtitles under he "elfish", etc.).  Although, as a natural elf, he might be able to understand.

9 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

I'm reading the narnia books and the translation is very good but it has the same problem :P i check the grammar more than i check the kanji:embSwan:

Doesn't surprise me if you consider the origins of those books. I mean, Tolkien wrote LOTR in part to create a backstory for the fantasy language he was creating as part of his Master's thesis at Oxford. CS Lewis was likewise an academic and in the same writing circle as Tolkien at Oxford, so, yeah, they wrote in English 'plus alpha', to hijack a Japanese term.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Doesn't surprise me if you consider the origins of those books. I mean, Tolkien wrote LOTR in part to create a backstory for the fantasy language he was creating as part of his Master's thesis at Oxford. CS Lewis was likewise an academic and in the same writing circle as Tolkien at Oxford, so, yeah, they wrote in English 'plus alpha', to hijack a Japanese term.

Both brilliant. I recommend the film "Tolkien" to learn more about his early years.  Rather sad but illuminating.

13 minutes ago, barbara said:

Both brilliant. I recommend the film "Tolkien" to learn more about his early years.  Rather sad but illuminating.

I do want to see it, the only problem where can I find it. 

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

For the linguistic aspect of the novels, you are right. But for the story... and I think Tolkien is "less untranslatable" than Jane Austen with her tight-knitted, made-to-measure-for-English-language-particularities, sentences. In Japanese I don't know, but I find Tolkien quite enjoyable in French (we have a very good translation, recognisable by the translation into French of some people's and places names). And I understand Yuzuru Hanyu has a very good mastery of the language. While I cannot see how to translate Jane Austen (repelled by available translations, I tried to translate a few paragraphs and really, I don't see how to tell all that in French, without long notes for most sentences).

@Glory I bet he would be just as understanding of horses as of cats. And just as loved by them. Plus, sometimes when horses see some very special people, they can come to them spontaneously without knowing them. I wouldn't be surprised if Yuzuru Hanyu was one of them.

Edit : I was quite long but I just noticed the symbol of the bow and arrows for him. ;-)

2 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

For the linguistic aspect of the novels, you are right. But for the story... and I think Tolkien is "less untranslatable" than Jane Austen with her tight-knitted, made-to-measure-for-English-language-particularities, sentences. In Japanese I don't know, but I find Tolkien quite enjoyable in French (we have a very good translation, recognisable by the translation into French of some people's and places names). And I understand Yuzuru Hanyu has a very good mastery of the language. While I cannot see how to translate Jane Austen (repelled by available translations, I tried to translate a few paragraphs and really, I don't see how to tell all that in French, without long notes for most sentences).

@Glory I bet he would be just as understanding of horses as of cats. And just as loved by them. Plus, sometimes when horses see some very special people, they can come to them spontaneously without knowing them. I wouldn't be surprised if Yuzuru Hanyu was one of them.

Edit : I was quite long but I just noticed the symbol of the bow and arrows for him. ;-)

Interesting to hear about the English-French translations.  I have read that English is particularly difficult for those brought up learning a different language.  So many words sound the same or even spelled the same but mean very different things.  I know Americans who have trouble understanding Scottish English and almost need a translator.  So many varieties, regional words and accents, and colloquialisms - I can understand it would be frustrating.  I admire anyone who takes on learning a language that uses an entirely different alphabet.  Yuzu understands a great deal more than he usually lets on in interviews. (For me - if it's not this alphabet, I am totally lost.)

3 hours ago, Fay said:

I do want to see it, the only problem where can I find it. 

It's available on HBO.  If you have Amazon Prime, you could always go for a free week of HBO and watch it. (If you do, list a bunch of other things you'd like to see, as well, while you have your free week.) It's possible, I think, to get a free week of HBO some other way, too.