General Yuzuru Chat

I actually liked when Savchenko/Masso (or maybe it was still with Robin) ended FS with a throw, I think Ksenia Stolbova also done it once - it looked like really great finish point, but you needed to be really sure to do such elements in the end. I think Yuzu really could end his program with 3A, though with upping tech more and more it might be too much. Also I really liked when in H&L he had 3Lz after stsq so all the jumps were somehow split in the second half. But I guess with less time for FS and no breathing point it might be asking too much now (that's why I mourn a little the first Origin layout).

Aside of stamina, I belive that Zu likes to end his programs with a spin (upright spin) because it's a good way to stop moving across the ice, slow down and smoothly finish with ending pose. Of course, this is most likely a philosophy that all choreographers follow when they create programs and decide to end them with a spin (or idk, stationary lift), but Zuz is definitely aware of it. He even talked about it with Nomura Mansai.:68271262: Even all his EXs have a spin at the end. Iirc, the only program from him that didn't have the final spin was The Final Time Traveler.

Spoiler

But honestly, until now we had many programs that either start with not a jump or end with not a spin. Only this season Wakaba, Kaori and Medo end their SPs with StSq.

4 hours ago, mercedes said:

It’s also so dramatic a certain guy from japan may just love it😜

I’ve always  thought skaters finish with very fast spins because it’s like going out with a bang and also because even if they are trained to do so it still may take them a couple of seconds to recover ?

But I really liked Rika for example didn’t ended her program with those spins last year ,it makes things a little bit more interesting.

Yes, I think there are a lot of skaters who get dizzy from the spins so put them at the end. 

Also, it's probably difficult to get a spin going from a stand still. I know there's video of Yuzu doing it out there somewhere, and Patrick Chan can do it too, but maybe for a lot of skaters they need that momentum from skating into it first. 

@Henni147 : I like the piece!  I'd picture an opening spin working in something like this too : John Coltrane, A Love Supreme.

On 9/23/2019 at 5:23 AM, Henni147 said:

I would totally celebrate it, if Yuzu simply overtook the ISU after his retirement, kicked out all the corrupt officials and reformed the entire system from its core. Imagine Yuzu

• running all the summer webinars himself
  • [EDIT] casting new independent judges
  • setting 'Yuzu standards' in the official guidelines, TP handbooks and SOV tables
  • filming technical sample videos and tutorials with On Ice Perspectives
  • developing new measurement tools, skating boots, blades, ice rinks and other hightech stuff
  • doing skating promotion (in small fed countries, too)

I think, I would follow that journey... :hihi:

What a bunch of great ideas!

That's actually an interesting question: why do skaters end on spins so often?

I think the answer why they don't start with them is probably because -- as Shoma once said -- spins while not particularly hard for top skaters, take a LOT of energy, so most skaters save that for their biggest jumps. I also think that might be the same reason why skaters end on their grandest spins, because it must be hard to recover from them, although I don't think it's dizziness because most top skaters probably don't feel so dizzy from spins anymore, but more like exhaustion: they can literally use up ALL their remaining firepower for the spin and not have to worry about doing anything more.

Thank you all,it was very intresting to learn especially because i've always looked at it form a dizzines prospective(even a a bare mimimun one for trained skaters like they are)but never from a effort/energy point of view....maybe because they look so effortless it never even crossed my brain that of course they require lots of energy,maybe not as much as jumping I guess but still you need it a lot!

4 minutes ago, mercedes said:

Thank you all,it was very intresting to learn especially because i've always looked at it form a dizzines prospective(even a a bare mimimun one for trained skaters like they are)but never from a effort/energy point of view....maybe because they look so effortless it never even crossed my brain that of course they require lots of energy,maybe not as much as jumping I guess but still you need it a lot!

if you think about a sit-spin, it essentially requires holding a one legged squat. my thighs burn thinking about it

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yes, I think there are a lot of skaters who get dizzy from the spins so put them at the end. 

Also, it's probably difficult to get a spin going from a stand still. I know there's video of Yuzu doing it out there somewhere, and Patrick Chan can do it too, but maybe for a lot of skaters they need that momentum from skating into it first. 

@Henni147 : I like the piece!  I'd picture an opening spin working in something like this too : John Coltrane, A Love Supreme.

I don't think it's difficult getting a spin going from a stand still. Even a scrub like me can do it, you just apply some edge pressure and swing your upper body around. It might be hard to get a fast spin going though, or for certain positions.

35 minutes ago, mercedes said:

I think they take energy in different ways. If a jump is like a sprint then a spin is probably more like a marathon. Or like strength vs. endurance.

1 час назад, mercedes сказал:

For sure spins need energy, sometimes you can see how much better and faster Yuzu's spins can be during EX/SP and slower at the end of FS. But my guess always was that at first you need clean jumps and more easy elements like choreo stsq and two spins go to the end. Also if your music choice tends to end on the high/fast note - spins usually fit quite well.

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

if you think about a sit-spin, it essentially requires holding a one legged squat. my thighs burn thinking about it

I don't think it's difficult getting a spin going from a stand still. Even a scrub like me can do it, you just apply some edge pressure and swing your upper body around. It might be hard to get a fast spin going though, or for certain positions.

Oh well I meant those impossible fast upright spins they usually do at the end of program....sits spins my legs burns in simpathy for sure lol

3 hours ago, shanshani said:

I can't even get into the sit-spin position; never could do it, even as a young and presumably much more flexible child. On the other hand, I was pretty good at two foot spins but could never get one going from a dead stand still. 

But last year someone put video up of Yuzu casually starting from a one-foot stand still and building up to a pretty fast albeit loose scratch spin. I wish I could find it back. I think it was a practice video. 

2 hours ago, anski said:

You can def do a spin “out of nowhere” but your speed would probably suffer, which is probably the reason most skaters would prefer to have some momentum going before entering the spin! Even then some skaters lose speed mid-spin... 

Not sure if that gets qualified as "spin out of nowhere" but one of my favourite spins from Yuzuru is the second one in Scriabin's Etude's SP, which I think is a back scratch sit spin. He enters it pretty suddently after few running steps on the ice and fits the dramatic accent of the music perfectly. Love it love it love it. 

Btw random consideration, and I know we've already talked about this but I think it needs a little bit more talking: I was thinking I didn't watch a lot of ACI fancams of this year so I watched the 6 minutes warm up of the FS and... wow, I was surprised and not in a good way. 

Honestly, at first I empathize and then I find it funny, but after a while, knowing how Yuzuru might feel, I don't find it funny anymore. All that screaming is just rude and nonsense, has nothing to do with sport and our supposed respect for him. I think that we all should settle down a bit and help other fans settle down as well. 

Somehow I also think that ACI is always a different competition because there is free seating, so people don't pay +300 dollars to sit in front. I somehow think that in other competitions, being that the viewers are more 'selected' and the atmosphere is more serious, there will never be so much losing control. Or so I hope. 

I think we should seriously start considering that so much hyping might be hurting him a little. People were screaming at him just for passing by. That's not okay, imo. We're not 2 years old anymore.

Two cents shared, I'm out.