General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

I wouldn't say it's physically demanding but the entrance of those long twizzles in Notte Stellata is quite different, he uses his speed and begins them pretty slowly, tighting his body up gradually so that they gradually get faster. It would be impossible to gain such speed from a landing of a jump, because even when you land with speed, you absorb a looot of weight on that landing leg so the fact alone that he does a twizzle out of it (remember his 3A is huge, as big as other's quads) is extremely "impossible" already hahaha! 

Sorry, my last post was a bit unclear :13877886:

The 3A is around 1:17 in this video. It has a short twizzle exit, too, but the long twizzle I was talking about, starts a bit later at 1:29. Yuzu skates to the other end of the rink, before he enters it. I think there should be enough time and room to build the necessary momentum. The current version is decent, but I always felt that it could be more impactful and memorable, if he completely pulled through there until 1:34 (at COR the twizzle stopped around 1:32).

EDIT: Gomen for the timestemp escalation :headdesk:

In general I agree with @LadyLou that the section between the 3A and the combo needs some fine tuning. The rest of the program is gorgeous and I LOVE it. The sit spin, the step sequence and the combo spin at the end are perhaps my all-time-favorite 60 seconds of figure skating.

12 hours ago, Dreamer said:

... so....no to Rod Stewart who is the antithesis of Yuzu.

@Geo1   HORRORS!!!  I actually like Rod's music, but NO, NO, NO to that song. (makes hex signs in the air)

11 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

yes. he is. so trying to guess what he's going to do is a fool's game. 

but very fun. 4A/4Lz, 4Lo, StSeq, 4S, Ch. Sq, 4T-3A, anyone? 

Good point.

11 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

As fun as that would be, I'm not sure it's his style. I think Masquerade is the true indicator of where Yuzu feels his 'sexy' lies....i.e the manly drama king.  rather than Rod Stewart, Yuzu's more like Elvis Presley.  He'd be all "A Little Less Conversation"...*evil grin*

Or maybe "the Devil in disguise", though Teddy Bear would be more appropriate lyrics:

11 hours ago, Dreamer said:

good comparison: Elvis was a genius, super charismatic, handsome, kind, generous to his fans..

9 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

I guess, but the situations are kind of different.There's the fact that he had two near perfect performances that season already, short and free. He was coming off already recycling Chopin. And I think (my own speculation) that he already knew he wanted to skate to something that represented him, his country and his culture for the Olys. If H&L had been received better by judges, he might have considered that as an option for the Olympic season, I think. Either way I'd say he wanted to get some mileage on a second option for his Olympic free skate. Plus considering Seimei was probably his first choice for Olys already, it would've become a consecutive 3-peat if he'd repeated it. 

I think also there's a bit more mental baggage to unpack with the 4Lz and that takes spoons too. And we know the last time he tried the 4Lz he did it with a recycled programme. 

I'm still hoping for a new SP but I don't actually expect it, it'd be the best surprise if he gave us one but he'll choose what works best for him, as he should.

Many good points.

55 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

To be completely honest, there is a part of me that will be a bit disappointed if he recycles both programs, especially as I'm traveling halfway around the world to see him again. But that's mostly because I want to see him do as many programs as possible and FaOI this year really spoiled me rotten.

I do understand the logic of recycling, though, why it's preferable for the challenges he's set for himself and why he might want to perfect them himself. Also, I love the programs. I cried every time I saw Otonal live and Origin blew me away, especially in Helsinki and Toyama. So I'm sure I'll enjoy them anyway.

At the same time, it makes me wonder, because, even though I agree that he's made the programs his own by now and I'd understand wanting to perfect them, he still introduced them as tributes and it seems a bit much to do tribute programs two seasons in a row. And even though they weren't 100% perfect, Otonal was pretty close to it in Russia and Origin also came full circle at Toyama, when Plushenko got to see it live and allegedly even cried about it.  On top of that, as they are both tribute programs, it feels more like they're a packaged deal. If he kept just one, people might try to find implications of what that means related to the person it was a tribute to and that just seems like a whole other kind of headache Yuzu doesn't need, IMO.

Oh, regarding Origin in Toyama, I'm not sure what I felt, because it was just too emotionally overwhelming. I think to me it felt maybe more like making it up for Saitama, rather than anything for the future, either way. But that's likely me projecting, because the only thing that bothered me in Saitama was the slowness and the Toyama encore was insanely fast. Other than that, it was just emotional. It didn't exactly feel like 'good bye', but it also didn't really feel like 'not done yet' either.

Bottom line is, I, too, expect recycled programs, given the total silence and the clips of Origin we've heard. But at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he did come with something new (one or both programs).

Also many good points.

1 час назад, KatjaThera сказал:

To be completely honest, there is a part of me that will be a bit disappointed if he recycles both programs, especially as I'm traveling halfway around the world to see him again. But that's mostly because I want to see him do as many programs as possible and FaOI this year really spoiled me rotten.

I do understand the logic of recycling, though, why it's preferable for the challenges he's set for himself and why he might want to perfect them himself. Also, I love the programs. I cried every time I saw Otonal live and Origin blew me away, especially in Helsinki and Toyama. So I'm sure I'll enjoy them anyway.

At the same time, it makes me wonder, because, even though I agree that he's made the programs his own by now and I'd understand wanting to perfect them, he still introduced them as tributes and it seems a bit much to do tribute programs two seasons in a row. And even though they weren't 100% perfect, Otonal was pretty close to it in Russia and Origin also came full circle at Toyama, when Plushenko got to see it live and allegedly even cried about it.  On top of that, as they are both tribute programs, it feels more like they're a packaged deal. If he kept just one, people might try to find implications of what that means related to the person it was a tribute to and that just seems like a whole other kind of headache Yuzu doesn't need, IMO.

Oh, regarding Origin in Toyama, I'm not sure what I felt, because it was just too emotionally overwhelming. I think to me it felt maybe more like making it up for Saitama, rather than anything for the future, either way. But that's likely me projecting, because the only thing that bothered me in Saitama was the slowness and the Toyama encore was insanely fast. Other than that, it was just emotional. It didn't exactly feel like 'good bye', but it also didn't really feel like 'not done yet' either.

Bottom line is, I, too, expect recycled programs, given the total silence and the clips of Origin we've heard. But at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he did come with something new (one or both programs).

I agree with the arguments. I also would prefer new ones, but at the same time I'm too grateful that Yuzu still competes to complain)) Origin is quite demanding program, so it's interesting to see how it will go with other jumps and will it be closer to the first version or not - I really liked solo 3A in the end but at the same time I like longer IB too. His slowness in Saitama didn't bother me, I guess I was too excited to be there in the first place :grin: 

I would like new SP cuz for me Otonal doesn't sound as second season music material. It's good but not as good as Chopin. Also it was designed for all the jumps in the first half, though by CoR new music addition worked well. But I also wonder if he will repeat one and not the other, obviously he thinks Otonal can get better (will he include 4Lz in the SP I wonder).

OK, one more week and no more theories :grin:

1 час назад, Murieleirum сказал:

Anyways, I wanted to share a thought that I've had this morning listening to some FS music; in particular, Nathan's SP for next season, la Bohème. It is a very beautiful piece of music, with a very emotional singing voice. I think I've already formulated this thought but it hit me again, Nathan, together with most skaters, picks music that is already largely emotional and expressive, and skates to it. So that people will associate his skating with the expressiveness of the music and will say "Oh! So expressive! So much presentation! 10 PCS". When the fact is, for it to be balance between the skating and the music, the music doesn't have to be more expressive than the skater, it has to be 50/50. The music and the skating have to complete eachother: the music doesn't have to be just a background for the skating, but especially the skating doesn't have to be a background for the music, and I often feel like it is.

Whereas with Yuzuru, he picks personal, particular and "strange" music which gives him some colors, and then he adds on and he creates something that's only his, that he could only skate to, because the routine becomes so personalized and perfect, because it has that balance between skating and music, that no one else can modify it (if not Yuzuru himself). Yuzuru would never pick a music like "La Bohème", because that kind of music doesn't give you the space to add on to it. It's already packaged, it's already finished.  Yuzuru's FS started with 10 seconds of zero music. And he still skated and it still fit. I challenge any skater to do that. 

Well, will be not the first time)) I dunno about judges but it's quite usual when at the competition not so famous skater uses famous music they receive quite a lot of support from the public. Like Boikova/Kozlovsky FS last season - yes, they skated very good but it was their first senior season and I believe that part of the support came from the known music (there were other similar cases before). And I can  say that with a lot of modern stuff I became to miss some classics from great skaters like Rachmaninov from Patrick and Mao.

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

I wouldn't say it's physically demanding but the entrance of those long twizzles in Notte Stellata is quite different, he uses his speed and begins them pretty slowly, tighting his body up gradually so that they gradually get faster. It would be impossible to gain such speed from a landing of a jump, because even when you land with speed, you absorb a looot of weight on that landing leg so the fact alone that he does a twizzle out of it (remember his 3A is huge, as big as other's quads) is extremely "impossible" already hahaha! 

Anyways, I wanted to share a thought that I've had this morning listening to some FS music; in particular, Nathan's SP for next season, la Bohème. It is a very beautiful piece of music, with a very emotional singing voice. I think I've already formulated this thought but it hit me again, Nathan, together with most skaters, picks music that is already largely emotional and expressive, and skates to it. So that people will associate his skating with the expressiveness of the music and will say "Oh! So expressive! So much presentation! 10 PCS". When the fact is, for it to be balance between the skating and the music, the music doesn't have to be more expressive than the skater, it has to be 50/50. The music and the skating have to complete eachother: the music doesn't have to be just a background for the skating, but especially the skating doesn't have to be a background for the music, and I often feel like it is.

Whereas with Yuzuru, he picks personal, particular and "strange" music which gives him some colors, and then he adds on and he creates something that's only his, that he could only skate to, because the routine becomes so personalized and perfect, because it has that balance between skating and music, that no one else can modify it (if not Yuzuru himself). Yuzuru would never pick a music like "La Bohème", because that kind of music doesn't give you the space to add on to it. It's already packaged, it's already finished.  Yuzuru's FS started with 10 seconds of zero music. And he still skated and it still fit. I challenge any skater to do that. 

And damn this keeps getting ignored and unnoticed by anyone in the ISU. 

Agree with all of this but specially the bit about music choices - I remember someone commenting in Nathan’s first senior year that the composer was doing the heavy lifting for him - sounds as though Berlioz will be doing the same.

8 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

I’m 100% down for this cursed idea.

And imagine the strategic value! Yuzu keeps getting the short end of the stick because he doesn't get the last skate. Well, imagine ANYBODY skating after this. Commentators will try to wax poetic about whatever, and judges will try to do their thing, but the only thing in everybody's heads will be Ra-Ra-Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine. It's impossible to get it out. The rest of the last group can skate to the most uplifting arias with the most heavenly voices and it won't matter. It'll all be Ra-Ra-Rasputin.

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

My god there is a horrible idea - no, NO - no Rod Stewart, no Elvis and for the love of god absolutely no Rasputin.  What are you smoking?

Just the usual late off-season insanity, that's all. We've all gone slightly mad.

Would I'm Going Slightly Mad be any better? Queen is fine, right? I mean,  some of the first verse's lyrics ("to be honest, you haven't got a clue") are perfect for the judging panel...

19 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

And imagine the strategic value! Yuzu keeps getting the short end of the stick because he doesn't get the last skate. Well, imagine ANYBODY skating after this. Commentators will try to wax poetic about whatever, and judges will try to do their thing, but the only thing in everybody's heads will be Ra-Ra-Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine. It's impossible to get it out. The rest of the last group can skate to the most uplifting arias with the most heavenly voices and it won't matter. It'll all be Ra-Ra-Rasputin.

:xD:

4 minutes ago, shanshani said:

I had to Google this and what did I just watch

I feel like I've lost my innocence

Sex Bomb? :D I've been putting that one out into the universe a lot. There's a video where Yuzu watches Plushenko practice it and he looks sooo intensely focused I figured he was planning a tribute ex.