General Yuzuru Chat

@yuzurujenn Thank you very much! I am again learning new things about Yuzuru, the recent interviews have lots of interesting questions.

He mentions willpower - another thing he is obviously very strong at. And I like the fact that he doesn't set himself any end goals or anything like that.

He tries out new paths, he creates them when they don't exist, without knowing where they lead to, because it's still worth taking them. I like this mindset, it's encouraging. After all, it is not easy to leave major roads that have already been traveled by many or that lead to a safe and comfortable destination.

But as we know, he never takes the easy way.

Hi @Sofielofie

I don't know if you just need a yes or a no, but I'm afraid you'll have to catch up on a lot of statistics and discussions in this forum regarding your question.

It's not like you're going to be told about an incident on the bus or in a restaurant, for example.

Yuzuru is a celebrity, as a top athlete he has constantly competed against opponents from other nations and has been in the spotlight for at least 12 years. Now that everyone is commenting on social media, he is also exposed to the world there. So your question cannot be answered in the negative.

Maybe one of the founding satellites can give you the answers you need.

Your question made me realize again how wonderful it is that we have a forum where every nationality is welcome.

Sofia, in my personal opinion there is an element of systemic racism in the notoriously corrupt structure of the competitive FS world. The largest and most powerful skating federations--the U.S., Russia, and Canada--have so much influence that they are often able to swing judging decisions in their own favor. You sometimes hear bitter comments about the "passport privilege" enjoyed by skaters from those countries, who are likely to be awarded "candies" in scoring and have their mistakes overlooked, at the expense of skaters from less powerful federations.

This could be seen as nationalism rather than racism, but I think it is no coincidence that the big guys are all majority-white countries. Of course, not all the skaters from those countries are white themselves, but IMO they are likely to be treated as honorarily white because of "passport privilege." So I think that our favorite has indeed experienced discrimination (as has Yuna Kim) for being Asian-Asian rather than, say, Asian-American; but it's subtle and hard to pinpoint.

Just my opinion; you may disagree.