General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

This is pretty low, I feel. Are they just estimating? I feel like he does maybe 4-5 CMs/endorsements a year. I'd imagine they'd pay him more than $500k each even if just to use his image (i.e. stickers). I guess JSF takes a cut. I feel like his FaOI contract should be quite a lot, because he was clearly the headliner, and he sold out their tickets like several times over. :shrug: Oh well. I am really happy he limits his contracts. I admire him a lot for that.

I don't know, but I think they are only guessing. Where did they get this information? Short of getting his income tax returns, how do you know for sure?

I recall a Japanese article not long after the Sochi Olympics stating something to the effect that the JSF was allowing up to 5 CMs/endorsements per annum to skaters and that Yuzu's price was ¥80 million per CM/endorsement (approximately $719,000 U.S. currently). According to the article, he was the highest-paid skater. Daisuke Takahashi was receiving ¥50 million per CM/endorsement. The article did not state how much the JSF took as its cut, if anything.

I also saw an article that he and other skaters received approximately $10,000 U.S. per show for appearing in such things as "Fantasy on Ice". Therefore, if he had two shows a day, he would receive $20,000.

I don't know how reliable my information is, but, in my opinion, Yuzu is probably not being paid nearly enough for his CMs/endorsements/shows considering his selling power and the profits that the companies are probably making as a result of using him.

Fortunately, Yuzu has been raised properly by his parents and has his priorities straight. He's not focused on money. I think that he received the same type of advice and upbringing from his parents that I did from mine. My parents always told me in Japanese, "hosoku, nagaku," which means "narrowly, long-term". I interpret this to mean living one's life on the straight and narrow with a long view of your life. No taking shortcuts. Face your challenges and overcome them. My parents taught me not to obsess about money. They taught me that if I lived my life honestly and put in my best efforts in everything I did, life would take care of itself. And it has.

And this is why I admire Yuzuru. He is true to himself. He takes no shortcuts. He lives his life honestly, and very much on the straight and narrow. He not only faces up to challenges that are unforeseen and overcomes them, he goes out of his way to create his own challenges – like adding the quad Lutz in the Olympic year. (And this is the kind of stuff that he does that drives me to drink!)

19 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

I don't know how reliable my information is, but, in my opinion, Yuzu is probably not being paid nearly enough for his CMs/endorsements/shows considering his selling power and the profits that the companies are probably making as a result of using him.

I feel like this is also why he has such a good relationship with all the brands/companies that he endorses :biggrin: (to go along with his warm personality and good work ethic). I mean, I don't think I've seen companies go out of their way for any promoter/talent as P&G and ANA does for Yuzu.

43 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Fortunately, Yuzu has been raised properly by his parents and has his priorities straight. He's not focused on money.

Right, usually the athlete is not focused on how much they're getting paid. They usually have a management company that does it for them. But Yuzu doesn't have a management company, so *shrug* He probably cares less about money than the average athlete, too. Either way, I hope he never doesn't have enough money to achieve what he wants :happy:

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

And this is why I admire Yuzuru. He is true to himself. He takes no shortcuts. He lives his life honestly, and very much on the straight and narrow. He not only faces up to challenges that are unforeseen and overcomes them, he goes out of his way to create his own challenges – like adding the quad Lutz in the Olympic year.

I have mentioned this previously but I think it needs repeating, that while Yuzu was well taught by his parents the restraint he shows in his private life (with the exception of earphones) I feel it also should not be underestimated the impact the 2011 earthquake had on him.  He was literally fleeing for his life (at least he felt so threatened) from the ice of his rink when the earthquake hit and then spent three days with his family in an evacuation center.  He has mentioned in interviews that he almost quit skating then and for quite a while felt guilty that he was off training and competing when he felt he should be back home helping in the recovery.  I really feel that Yuzu probably sees his life as before the quake and after the quake because that was the single most important event in his life that he shares with his family and so many of his countrymen.  Also the effect on any individual, particularly one with the depth of feelings Yuzu has, the effect on one when faced with the very real possibility of death, well, that necessarily has a sobering effect.  I doubt that Yuzu spends a great deal of time thinking about that episode now, some seven years ago, but if you are ever wondering why Yuzu can be so ebullient at times and also so serious other times but always genuine with no affectations or arrogance, I'd place much of that at the doorstep of the 2011 earthquake.  

32 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Right, usually the athlete is not focused on how much they're getting paid. They usually have a management company that does it for them. But Yuzu doesn't have a management company, so *shrug* He probably cares less about money than the average athlete, too. Either way, I hope he never doesn't have enough money to achieve what he wants :happy:

In other words, all the headphones/earphones he covets, LOL!

5 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Reposting from the Olympics Tickets thread :biggrin:

So I just had a thought (and @robin mentioned that the Chinese fans might have done something similar at CoR), that if you aren't going to the Olympics but want to send a pooh, if you mail it to me I could carry it + throw it for you. you can ship one to me along with a letter which i can attach to the pooh. (if you send it to me electronically, i can print it, put it in an envelope, and attach it to a pooh.) so if anyone is interested, just let me know.......... :biggrin: 

It doesn't have to be me, you could also send a pooh/letter to anyone else going to the event as well. :P 

What if you have too many poohs?:P

Don't be drowned by pooh rain before you reach Pyeongchang. :POOH::POOH::POOH::POOH::POOH:

7 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Reposting from the Olympics Tickets thread :biggrin:

So I just had a thought (and @robin mentioned that the Chinese fans might have done something similar at CoR), that if you aren't going to the Olympics but want to send a pooh, if you mail it to me I could carry it + throw it for you. you can ship one to me along with a letter which i can attach to the pooh. (if you send it to me electronically, i can print it, put it in an envelope, and attach it to a pooh.) so if anyone is interested, just let me know.......... :biggrin: 

It doesn't have to be me, you could also send a pooh/letter to anyone else going to the event as well. :P 

This is something awesome you're doing. Yuzuru fans are great.

I'm not the type to give gifts to celebrities, athletes, etc. Yet you're giving me second thoughts. :animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01: It'd be cool to contribute to the Pooh rain in PC since I might never ever get the chance to anywhere else. I also know that Yuzuru will be donating it, so I want to get a really cute Pooh that a kid will like and cuddle with. Double incentive. Ooh, this is fun. :bliss-smiley:

Will they stop you at the entrance if you're carrying too many poohs? :laughing:

8 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

This is something awesome you're doing. Yuzuru fans are great.

I'm not the type to give gifts to celebrities, athletes, etc. Yet you're giving me second thoughts. :animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01: It'd be cool to contribute to the Pooh rain in PC since I might never ever get the chance to anywhere else. I also know that Yuzuru will be donating it, so I want to get a really cute Pooh that a kid will like and cuddle with. Double incentive. Ooh, this is fun. :bliss-smiley:

Will they stop you at the entrance if you're carrying too many poohs? :laughing:

Neither was I. I never thought I'd write a letter, let alone give a gift. :facepalm: I don't know myself anymore.