Poll - When/How did you become a fan of Yuzu?

When did you became a fan of Yuzuru?  

602 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Then I went insane. I have had skating dreams everynight since. I spend every spare moment watching and studying and pouring over score sheets. I havent slept or eaten much because of this new obsession.

I'm the happiest I've ever been. Finding that someone so graceful and powerful exists has really changed my world view. I never would have thought I'd care about figure skating. It's bloody un-Australian!

Oh god, this is so me right now, you describe it perfectly. I often see blades and jumps when I close my eyes before sleep ( or like... any time of the day? :rofl2: )

This has taken over my life and I'm euphorically happy :space:

Oh god, this is so me right now, you describe it perfectly. I often see blades and jumps when I close my eyes before sleep ( or like... any time of the day? :rofl2: )

This has taken over my life and I'm euphorically happy :space:

It has ruined sunsets for me. Every sunset looks like a costume now. It's currently 2016 Chopin o'clock.

I'm also a dedicated lone wolf with no social media accounts. I haven't used a forum in about a decade. This young man's skating has really screwed me up!

It's amazing how this sudden obsession seems to be a common experience. I don't think I've ever felt swept up in a phenomenon before, though I'm sure it's an incredibly small one outside of Japan. There really is a feeling of watching a once in a lifetime talent. Getting to see him before he turns pro is going to be more difficult and expensive than catching cherry blossom season.

It has ruined sunsets for me. Every sunset looks like a costume now. It's currently 2016 Chopin o'clock.

I'm also a dedicated lone wolf with no social media accounts. I haven't used a forum in about a decade. This young man's skating has really screwed me up!

It's amazing how this sudden obsession seems to be a common experience. I don't think I've ever felt swept up in a phenomenon before, though I'm sure it's an incredibly small one outside of Japan. There really is a feeling of watching a once in a lifetime talent. Getting to see him before he turns pro is going to be more difficult and expensive than catching cherry blossom season.

2016 Chopin o'clock sounds wonderful! :love:

Haha, I just love this place and all of the figure skating nerds gone crazy that contribute to this forum :yay:

I don't usually use any forums either, I thought it was such an outdated concept... But I guess it's not :grin:

My interest in Figure Skating was very low. I was Kim Yuna's lukewarm fan. I only watched Yuna's programmes and may be one or two of Mao's, that's it.

In Sep 2016, I was taking a career break and had a lot of free time. As I have an obsession with scores(& number), was checking World Records of Yuna, that's when I noticed a guy named Yuzuru Hanyu held WR in all three categories. I was so impressed and browsed him in Youtube, guess what found PW Olympic programme.

I was totally hooked right after that 4T, it was just magnificent. the way Yuzu held himself mid-air-position was so Japanese (I am hard-core Naruto fan) and the landing's so smooth. After the whole programme, I became a hard-core fan already. :D

So yeah.. I watched all videos, read anything I could find online, backtracked GS Yuzu forum, competitions forums, stalk him on Tumblr, joined FB group and did everything I could get my hands on to get to know him more. I think I spent 70% of my career break on Yuzu (my mom's quite worried about it).

First chance I got to watch him live, which was 4CC 2017, I took the chance and went to S.Korea alone. (my family and friends were so surprised lol)

It was all worth it: watching Yuzu and other skaters live, meeting fellow skating fans (FS is not even known as a sport in my extremely hot country where there is 0 ice skating rink), experiencing the Olympic Arena and S.Korean food/culture.

Now, checking on Yuzu everyday becomes a part of my life and always looking for a chance to see Yuzu live again.

I am so happy that I came out of my lurking and started posting on GS. I made a lot of good friends who would share my feelings and anxiety/craziness while watching the competitions live stream. :) I feel extremely lucky to have found out about Yuzu and realised his talent (thanks to all the fans contributing, without their efforts I wouldn't understand a thing) since his kind of talent wouldn't come by easily, not even per generation.

As I come to know him, bit by bit, he keeps defying my first impressions about him.

He's a king in a kid. He's Number One with everyone. He's a challenger...you name it.

And each time he impresses the world on and off the rink, with his grace, artistry and sportsmanship, I think he's a gift from god.

Better late than never.

He's running ahead of time and time stops on his face.

Well said!

My first experience with figure skating is during the Sochi Olympics but at that time i only watched it for Kim Yuna because my friends were talking about her skate and i wanted to how she skated. When she won gold i kept watching he EX performance at ice shows and then i slowly stopped getting involved in figure skating. But during that time i heard about Brian having a japanese student and the media was going crazy about something that happened and didn't look much into it cause at that time i didn't know Yuzu had just won gold *facepalm*

:sadPooh:

Now a few years later, i saw my intstagram feed filled with the same person and decided to google him.. and it was yuzu. And this was just a week before worlds 2017, so during that time i saw his previous performances and fell in love. :embSwan:

Btw i almost died from my first live competition experience from the nerves but it was worth it :love: :s_whiteflag :goe:

So thats how i got into this fandom :space:

:yay: :yay: :yay:

I came to know about RL skaters because of Yuri on Ice. I am a fan for Jap anime/comics on sports.

There were posts speculating on the RL "prototypes" for YoI characters - that's when I came across the name of Yuzuru Hanyu. But I didn't pay much attention to him then.

Out of curiosity I watched 16GPF on youtube. Then my friend (also a YoI fan) and I started to learn about ISU competitions. I wiki-ed about fs 101. I watched Yuzu at 4CC again. Then I started to wiki about him, watching his record-breaking performances & interviews, etc on youtube.

What really drew me into him was the COC accident.

As I come to know him, bit by bit, he keeps defying my first impressions about him.

He's a king in a kid. He's Number One with everyone. He's a challenger...you name it.

And each time he impresses the world on and off the rink, with his grace, artistry and sportsmanship, I think he's a gift from god.

Better late than never.

I am sure that you meant no disrespect or offense, but the word or abbreviation "Jap" is considered derogatory and a racial slur amongst Japanese, particularly the Japanese minority living in North America. It was said with a lot of hatred before and during World War II and this negative connotation continued affterwards whenever it was used. Therefore, I would ask that people not use the abbreviation "Jap". It doesn't take that much more effort to spell the word "Japanese".

Among us I have seen long-time fans that follow Yuzu since junior days, as well as new ones who joined the ride after the historical free skate at Helsinki. So it makes me curious: When did everyone discover our favorite guy? (To avoid confusion for the polling, I'd like to define "discovered" as "became a fan," instead of "heard of/saw him for the first time.")

And for the "how" part, please comment to share your experience of falling for → :space: ! How did you come across him and his performances? What was the first program that you watched/that made you hooked? How did you find your way to the fan community?

My daughter showed me PW and then H& L . I love both programs at first but not very interested until seeing more shows and knowing more info about Yuzu. Gradually I got hooked and love him very much. Both my daughter and I admire his determination and dedication for the sport very much. Also we just adore his sweet personality. The first time we watched him compete live was 4cc and then Wc. We were screaming and crying and shaking so much ! What an experience! I myself have never been into any sport at all until now...

I came to know about RL skaters because of Yuri on Ice. I am a fan for Jap anime/comics on sports.

There were posts speculating on the RL "prototypes" for YoI characters - that's when I came across the name of Yuzuru Hanyu. But I didn't pay much attention to him then. Out of curiosity I watched 16GPF on youtube. Then my friend (also a YoI fan) and I started to learn about ISU competitions. I wiki-ed about fs 101. I watched Yuzu at 4CC again. Then I started to wiki about him, watching his record-breaking performances & interviews, etc on youtube.

I am sure that you meant no disrespect or offense, but the word or abbreviation "Jap" is considered derogatory and a racial slur amongst Japanese, particularly the Japanese minority living in North America. It was said with a lot of hatred before and during World War II and this negative connotation continued affterwards whenever it was used. Therefore, I would ask that people not use the abbreviation "Jap". It doesn't take that much more effort to spell the word "Japanese".

(off topic)

I didn't know about this either, thank you for pointing out the issue. It is hard not to slip in "mistakes" in particular if english is not one's first language and it comes to slang or words with a peculiar historical background. I knew only small bites about segregation of japanese people during world war II in USA, but let's say that in my country history classes focuses on Europe much more :-|

So I'm glad that from now on I have one less chance to sound inadvertently rude. :yes:

(back on topic...kind of)

The first time we watched him compete live was 4cc and then Wc. We were screaming and crying and shaking so much ! What an experience! I myself have never been into any sport at all until now...

I feel you :sadPooh:

Where I live soccer is by far the most popular sport :cry: but I manage to warm into something resembling a supporter only when the national team is playing some big match like semifinals or finals :smile: Still not even close to the level of crazed giggling, jumping and screaming I produce when I'm watching Yuzuru's performances (and I haven't even watched them live...) :sadPooh: :sadPooh: :sadPooh:

That's the effect Yuzuru has on people :bow:

There were posts speculating on the RL "prototypes" for YoI characters - that's when I came across the name of Yuzuru Hanyu. But I didn't pay much attention to him then.

Out of curiosity I watched 16GPF on youtube. Then my friend (also a YoI fan) and I started to learn about ISU competitions. I wiki-ed about fs 101. I watched Yuzu at 4CC again. Then I started to wiki about him, watching his record-breaking performances & interviews, etc on youtube.

What really drew me into him was the COC accident.

Better late than never.

Thank you for pointing this out. I have no excuse for my ignorance. My heartfelt apologies to Yuzuru's fans, especially Japanese fans. The post was edited as soon as I read your message.

Hi guys! This is my first post. Im a Yuzuru fan since 2012 Worlds. I love FS since the first time I saw Ice Castles when i was a child, buy in my country all the popular sports are related with balls and most people dont know a thing about figure skating... so it wasnt easy to find my way as a FS fan but somehow i did it! First i was a fan of Shizuka Arakawa, her skating is so delicate and beautiful, i love her Ina Bauer. And then i discover young Mao!!!! Im her fan since 2007, it was an amazing journey: i traveled so far from my country to watch her live, made good friends with others fans and of course became a hard fan of FS. As a crazy fan i am, i followed Mao in every competition by livestream, no matter the time. It was during 2012 Worlds at Nice that i found Yuzuru, his R&J was so amazing, i was mesmerized watching him, all that passion and energy coming from him!!!! It was love at first sight, i inmediately became his fan! I was lucky enough to watch him live at Boston, 2016 Worlds. He was amazing, specially in the SP and his EX. Ill try my best to watch him live again soon! I hope we can enjoy this season together, its really amazing to be able to cheer for my favorite skater with people around the world which also luv him and FS so much as i do!!!! Gamba Yuzu!!!!

Guest kitsune

My little story: one day I was bored and my hobby is to search anything on google and suddenly I remembered a Japanese figure skater that I saw on channel nhk, I do not remember right but I think he was skating for hana wa saku. As I did not remember the name I typed Japanese figure skater, I actually typed patinador japonês because I am Brazilian and my language is Portuguese, the name yuzuru hanyu appeared on the page and I researched it. Then I watched his programs and quickly became a fan. All of this happened before yuzu revealed his programs for season 16-17. I followed this whole season and I loved this roller coaster.I also accompanied the golden skate and saw everything that happened...Thank you very much for creating this forum.

On 5/9/2017 at 22:33, SparkleSalad said:

I just posted the worlds longest first post only for it to be deleted. Please instead enjoy my boring story in fragmented sentences, then maybe some proper ones if I feel like it.

Australian. Japanophile. Loves traditional Japanese court music.

Accidentally turned skating on to see Seimei at Boston. Unbelievable, even with mistakes, better than Javier and stayed in the back of my mind. I had never seen or heard of a hydroblade. I couldn't believe my eyes. Magical.

Accidentally turned skating on again this year midway through Hope and Legacy. Didn't want to spoil it so waited to watch online.

Joe Hisaishi, boy who somehow looks beautiful in sparkles, was like watching a river. I nearly cried.

Then I went insane. I have had skating dreams everynight since. I spend every spare moment watching and studying and pouring over score sheets. I havent slept or eaten much because of this new obsession.

I'm the happiest I've ever been. Finding that someone so graceful and powerful exists has really changed my world view. I never would have thought I'd care about figure skating. It's bloody un-Australian!

Icing on the insanity cake, I'm now saving every cent on the off chance I can get tickets to NHK, GPF, Olympics, or even Worlds (even though Europe is much too far and I realky don't want to.) Tips to survive this process would be much appreciated. :)

I feel like this level of greatness isn't just reserved for appreciation by lifelong skating fans but can be recognised by anyone with eyes and a soul. It's a level of talent so rarely found in any discipline.

My life is over. I'm now just a host for a skating parasite.

------

I'd also like to apologise if I've stolen someone's trademark description of the Requiem costume. I don't know where I read it but it made me laugh and also a bit hungry. I'm just a mushrooom so it's no bother to change it if it's a problem.

Omg are you me? I had dreams about skating and Yuzuru every night for months, guaranteed. Sometimes more than once a night. I could barely get out of bed -- I still have unfinished projects that I was doing the moment I saw him perform live (on TV) that I might never finish...well, one day I will go back and finish, but it was completely deactivating...

And yup, unpopular opinion but I agree. Javi's skate was fun but Seimei, even with the mistakes, was a masterpiece.

On 5/10/2017 at 00:29, SparkleSalad said:

This is so beautiful! And I totally understand. I would say he beautiful as the sunset, as the night sky, but honestly I think he is more beautiful :girlsigh:

Good luck getting tickets. I kind of want to do the same, but having the vacation days to do it may be hard...since it's all happening with a couple months. That's why I hope he goes to Skate Canada, because then I don't have to take too many...

2 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Omg are you me? I had dreams about skating and Yuzuru every night for months, guaranteed. Sometimes more than once a night. I could barely get out of bed -- I still have unfinished projects that I was doing the moment I saw him perform live (on TV) that I might never finish...well, one day I will go back and finish, but it was completely deactivating...

And yup, unpopular opinion but I agree. Javi's skate was fun but Seimei, even with the mistakes, was a masterpiece.

I AM you! Just probably an older with less excuses to throw away my sleep version. I have watched nothing else for the past month. If it wasn't a prequel, I fear I'd never know what is going to become of poor Jimmy McGill. I wonder if I'll ever be a functioning human being again.

And I think they definitely need to update the scoring system to reflect the dramatic perfection of his falls. R+J1 Nice, example. Also, that horrific crash. How can a human being still be so graceful in shock and pain? I'm starting to believe that nutso UFO theory that angels are just aliens from an advanced civilization.