Poll - When/How did you become a fan of Yuzu?

When did you became a fan of Yuzuru?  

601 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Rinnarsev said:

Hi everyone... I’m like a really really new fan and my story of becoming a fan is quite simple.

I think I First saw Yuzuru in 2018 Olympic but I wasn’t a figure skating fan and I think I didn’t even pay attention to the competition but it was playing on tv and I have glanced and remembered liking his seimei costume. But that’s it.

Until recently (like beginning of July), because of the covid, I’m like trapped at home (like most people are) and have spent a crazy amount of time on YouTube. One day his Sochi Olympic SP video was recommended to me and I have nothing else to do so I clicked it. Absolutely love at first sight! His Parisienne walkways Is so unreal and I thought to myself, I need to see more of him! 

Then it’s just a matter of time and I followed him down the rabbit hole. Still trying to catch up with all his competitions and performances! But so far my favourites are Seimei (which he definitely seems like a powerful and magical onmyōji) Origin and Parisienne Walkways. 

I can’t wait to discover more about Yuzuru! He’s really amazing :) 

Hello, and nice to meet you!!! Yes, Yuzuru really is amazing! Like you, I also discovered Yuzuru because of quarantine. I hope you enjoy it here! :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

9 minutes ago, Hope_and_Legacy said:

Hello, and nice to meet you!!! Yes, Yuzuru really is amazing! Like you, I also discovered Yuzuru because of quarantine. I hope you enjoy it here! :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

Thanks!! Nice to meet you too! Lol the only good thing coming from quarantine! I can spend my whole day watching him skate 🥰

Hello everyone! My story is similar to @Rinnarsev lol. A little over a month-ish ago, YouTube randomly recommended Seimei from the 2018 Olympics. One watch and I was hooked! 😍 I have never followed figure skating before, although I remember looking at my mom's old book of photos of Kristi Yamaguchi when I was little. I'm a little confused sometimes at the skating lingo but I'm super happy to be here!:dancingpooh:

5 hours ago, justmeandpooh-san said:

Hello everyone! My story is similar to @Rinnarsev lol. A little over a month-ish ago, YouTube randomly recommended Seimei from the 2018 Olympics. One watch and I was hooked! 😍 I have never followed figure skating before, although I remember looking at my mom's old book of photos of Kristi Yamaguchi when I was little. I'm a little confused sometimes at the skating lingo but I'm super happy to be here!:dancingpooh:

Hello! YouTube recommendations are actually helpful sometimes, it seems!!! I was also recommended a figure skating video, not of Yuzuru in particular, but it brought me to him. I hope you enjoy it here. :loveshower:

I'm not sure if you've seen the glossary created by LadyLou? It's really helpful in understanding the lingo of this Planet, so I encourage you to look at it! :2thumbsup:

6 hours ago, justmeandpooh-san said:

Hello there! It seems that YouTube is doing something good these days :clapclap4: 

also, I highly recommend a YouTube video by Yuzutea called “How to tell apart the jumps in figure skating” it explains the Jumps and the terms so nicely and with slow motion. Now I can tell like 4 jumps kinda hehe sometimes it’s still so hard tho.

:peekapooh:

before this, I’m just like “wow, he looks like flying across the ice!” Or “wow his jumps look so effortless” lol 😂 absolutely no idea what jump is what! :LOL:

15 hours ago, justmeandpooh-san said:

Probably one of the best recommendations Youtube has ever given you? HAHA

As for the skating lingo, you can also check out the Planet Hanyu Glossary! 
But tbh FS is such an esoteric sport, like I can imagine someone with no prior knowledge of FS at all won’t understand the score protocols at all and it’s difficult to explain everything in one go too. 

Check out this website: https://soyouwanttowatchfs.com/intros

I would recommend to maybe just focus on singles skating first, pair skating and ice dance are quite different! 

Also maybe briefly know the big international competitions like the Grand Prix series (6 stops, plus one Grand Prix Final. Skaters earn points by competing in the Grand Prix assignments (the 6 stops) and the top 6 from each discipline qualify for the Grand Prix Final), Four Continents, Europeans, Worlds, and of course the Olympics! It’s all in that website but I think the easiest way to become familiar is to progress through the season and watch the competitions one by one... although this will be unlikely now because the 2020/2021 season won’t be like the previous ones :(

Also look up Base Values and GOEs. In recent competitions they show the element executed by the skater at the top left corner of the screen so that will be helpful in learning the names of the different jumps and spins and all! You might also want to Google for the ISU protocols of competitions to check out the elements performed and the GOE received :) 

It’s a lot to take it at once so I think it’s better to watch competitions and slowly take it in as you go along! It’s quite a lot of information, hope I won’t be making any new fans feel overwhelmed!!

Wow thanks for the responses guys!! :embSwan: I wasn't expecting all these helpful resources :tumblr_inline_n0o1fjLfy91qid2nw: I have read through part of the glossary thread and it is suuuper helpful!! I will definitely look into the other sites and videos! And yes, this is absolutely the best random recommendation YouTube has given me haha. I only wish it had introduced me to our dear Yuzu sooner :tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg: