Poll - When/How did you become a fan of Yuzu?

When did you became a fan of Yuzuru?  

601 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I first knew yuzu in 2012 world championships. At that time only thought he was good, but did not continue to pay attention. Now super regret.

Once again I knew his information in 2015 NHK. Seimei was amazing to me.I began to look crazy at anything else.

I can't remember when I first saw him skating, probably in 2011 at one of the GP events. I have to be honest, but first when I saw him, I didn't like his skating that much. That time I was in a period when I preferred more mature skaters, both in the ladies and men's field (I didn't care about the Russian babies, I only liked Mao, Yuna, and I was starting to like CaroK..and for the men, I was still a Joubert fan after supporting him for many years and *cough* I was a Dai fan to some extent too. But I didn't really like men's field after Plushy's and Lambiel's r****d in 2010 (well Plush came back but it was different then...).

Yuzu's skating was so fresh and new that I needed time to appreciate this extraordinary and new style. It often happens with me that I need more time to get into someone's skating. I first called him 'the wild child' because I always had the impression that he would go into his jumps very recklessly and his skating was really passionate, but it was still not refined.

In the 2012/2013 season, Notre Dame didn't help to appreciate him more but I started to like PW a lot. I thought he's a cool kid but still very young and needs time to improve.

Then the Olympic season came and I started to feel really depressed that the judges would hand Chan the Olympic gold medal, no matter what he would do on the ice. His first two GP events demonstrated that he could be invincible that season...

....in the meantime I saw Yuzu's RJ2, and I was very happy about his LP because I LOVE Zeffirelli's movie and Nino Rota's music for the movie. And when I saw him competing I slowly started to fell in love with his skating. I thought he improved a lot since 2012/2013, I appreciated his passion, elegance and command on the ice more and more.

Then came GPF and after what happened in both GP events I was very surprised -and happy!- that Yuzu beat Patrick. I started to cheer for Yuzu even more, and I felt at that time that if he skated clean(ish) in Sochi then he could have a good chance for the gold.

I was very happy for his victory in Sochi, but I didn't know if he wanted to continue skating competitively. Usually the Olympic champions r**** after winning the gold medal. But not Yuzu. I was again happy and surprised, this time because he didn't r**** and that apart from the gold medal, he had many other goals he set for himself. I thought he must be something special.

Next season, everyone was waiting for his new programs and CoC. And I was incredibly impressed about his improved maturity, SS, and more difficult technical content etc., on the top of that I absolutely loved both Chopin and POTO too. At this time I was already totally in love with his skating.

It took me more time to get to know him more, but since then, I can say that he is my all-time favourite and to me, no one will ever come close to him, either as a skater or as a person. :love:

:space:

Hi!! This is my first time writing here!! Omedetou with the Hanyu Forum & good luck!!

I knew Hanyu a little before the Olympics, before him I was interested in Mao, and following her I found out about him!! -I found these two have a lot in common regarding personality-.

When he performed his FB in Sochi, I was new to the rules.. and I thought aaaah.. he fell so he must have lost!! And his reaction to winning is so memorable to me, it was like a dream: "I'm the first? I'm the first? Oh my God"!! Lol.. I had this same puzzled reaction too.. I had no idea why he won but why not!! Let's celebrate!!! XD

-I learned after that rules, and the Japanese programs explained very well why he won-..

There can be a difference between seeing someone for the first time and actually becoming a fan fan. I've been curious to see how my journey to Hanyu-fandom came to be. Fortunately, I have historic material (ha) lying around to help me. I've been keeping a journal for a Very Long Time, and following are actually straight, unedited quotes.

The first time I ever mention Hanyu:

December 5, 2009.

This is the week of the ISU Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating in Tokyo (squee), and I've been following the results closely on youtube (not like any TV channel over here gives a hoot). Daisuke Takahashi totally aced his performance in SP, beating Lysacek by a tiny margin, so that'll make for a very interesting FS. There's also a 14-year-old (turning 15 in two days) Yuzuru Hanyu, who won the men's junior title yesterday, and he looked really good. I'm hoping, keeping my fingers crossed, actually, that he'll come to the Junior Worlds in The Hague in March.

Man, so I *did* actually know he was coming to The Hague. I didn't know that I was aware of that competition, and that this Hanyu guy that I apparently already liked then would show up, until now. I'm astonished, and absolutely MAD at myself. For some unfathomable reason, I never actually went to that Junior Worlds competition, there's not even a single mention about anything Juniors related until a few years later. I have no idea why. Knowing myself, I probably just completely forgot about that Worlds competition because it was "just" Juniors for me back then. (Yeah, I've wisened up since then.) :cry:

The really freaky thing is that the next time I mention him is November 29, 2011 (!). Nothing in the 2010 season at all... I haven't checked out his wiki, I'm guessing maybe it's because he went senior then? and there were too many other good Japanese, so he didn't show up in the big competitions or just didn't have any results worth mentioning (which I guess would definitely mean I wasn't a proper fan yet).

November 29, 2011.

Jeremy Abbott completely blew it in the LP as well, and Yuzuru Hanyu won, and also qualified [for the GPF, presumably]. Now that, I didn't see coming. I'd have prefered seeing Kazuko [I meant Kozuka, *LOL*] qualify, but he's second alternate now, so little chance of that happening. Still, Hanyu is a gorgeous skater as well. It's just mind-blowing, the amount of talent those Japanese (and, yes, Russians) have. I always think if some of them would skate for another country, they'd always qualify for the world championships and such because they wouldn't have so much competition.

December 11, 2011.

Short and to the point:

Patrick Chan, ggggrrrrr. Takahashi and Hanyu were amazing, though.

I've never liked Patrick Chan. Don't shoot me, nothing personal against the guy, it's probably just a very basic matter of "He always won against my sweet Japanese boyz." :hammer:

March 31, 2012 (Worlds)

VERY annoyed about the men, even if Kozuka messed up, at least show him [on television], pffft. :-( But Yuzuru Hanyu did well and heartthrob Takahashi did what he had to do, and at least Patrick Chan showed he's not perfect. It's too much to hope he doesn't win the gold, but... who knows.

Boy, I did have it in for poor Patrick! and I won't kid myself by thinking I was anything like a real Hanyu fan.

(after the FS)

As for the men's free program, am annoyed about the result, and this time, the commentators AGREED with me that the Japanese guys should totally have won, ha! They were SO much better, pfft. Clearly another silly case of "reputation" being more important than what they actually see happening in front of their eyes, bleh. For me, the Japanese lads were the winners. Hanyu apparently even got the highest mark for the free skate, wow, and Daisuke, well, I cried.

October 28, 2012

Poor Yuzuru Hanyu completely messed up his free skate at least weekend's Skate America, but still skated so well that he came in second after the wonderful and even-more-incredibly-delectable-and-hunky-than-last-season Takahiko Kozuka (no, I don't have a crush on the guy, no way, uhuh). With the third Japanese skater placing third, it was a clean sweep at the first GP of the season. Well done, Japan! Of course, anyone who skates to Saint-Saens' Introduction and rondo capriccioso should be given the gold medal, anyway.

December 2, 2012

NHK Trophy: sigh sigh sigh

Those Japanese skaters are completely mental.

Asada and Fernandez clearly had an off-day in the FS, but their short programs were just stunning. Yuzuru Hanyu, well, what's there left to say? He beat his own world record in the SP, and the FS was close to being brilliant, too, he was just a bit too tired. But dangit, the guy only turns 18 next week!

Four out of the six skaters in the men's GP Final next weekend are Japanese. Mental!

December 13, 2012

The figure skating last weekend was magnificent. The Japanese guys and Mao Asada and Akiko Suzuki were all brilliant, and I loved the guys beating Patrick Chan. It was also awe-inspiring seeing Takahashi back in form. Not sure what happened to sweetie Hanyu, though, he apparently never made it to the gala exhibition due to illness. Sure hope he'll be able to participate in the Japan nationals next week. It'd be such a shame if the WR holder in the SP couldn't qualify for the worlds.

December 23, 2012

It's the weekend of the Japanese figure skating championships, which is a total blast. Yuzuru Hanyu was amazing in the short program, he beat his own season's best (again), which would be a world record, but I don't think scores from a national championship count.

Yuzuru Hanyu's ex program to Hana Ni Nare is the single most gorgeous program ever.

February 10, 2013

I don't think [Kevin Reynolds] should have won, I think Yuzuru Hanyu was much, much better in terms of performance, but, well, Hanyu had two mistakes, and Reynolds didn't. At least I like Reynolds a lot better than Patrick Chan, whose fake smile gets on my nerves every time.

Poor Patrick Chan... ;-)

November 17, 2013

Figure skating, hohum, Chan scored a WR, darnit, OG [olympic gold medal] is his, no doubts anymore. Hanyu Yuzuru did well, Jason Brown is stunning, and Hanyu has qualified, woot.

And here we are, finally!

December 5, 2013

Yuzuru Hanyu managed a clean SP, which not only made him the only GPF man to skate a clean SP, he also broke Patrick Chan's world record, taking back what was rightfully his, IMHO.

Hanyu, oh, yeah, I am a fan. Judging from the amount of roses and stuffed toys on the ice floor, I am not his only fan, lol. Dangit, but the man is amazing. If he hadn't had that wobble jumping to the last spin at the end of the SP, he would have broken the 100 points mark. As it is, the 99.84 or so was stunning. My Hero. It would be my dream come true if he were to win the GM. Him, or Takahashi. But not Chan, plzzz...

(December 6)

Yuzuru Hanyuuuuuuuuu!

OMG Yuruzu Hanyu-san, you are Amazing. I'm not a figure skating expert, after all these years I still cannot tell most jumps easily apart except for the axel, but I am starting to understand a bit about edge work, techniques and such, and lemme just say, this guy is incredible.

He's also very, very hot and cute (and OMG stick with the awesome girly gay-ish, Johnny Weir outfits, love it!), and I also love how Japanese he is. With that, I mean he way he presents himself, all the bowing, the uber-Japanese expression of embarrassment he makes, y'know, with one hand scratching the back of his hand and one eye closed. It's sooooo charming, and dangit boy (he turns 19 tomorrow!), you have NOTHING to be embarrassed about, you deserved every single gift, flower, stuffed toy, and every single hand clap the Japanese (and other) people gave you today. [note: really no offense intended to any Japanese reading this, this is from my private journal, lol, I tend to write whatever comes in my mind!]

Here's to Sochi 2014 and that Olympic Gold. He's proven he can do it, so don't go breaking any legs or arms before February, and the title can be his. Plz and thank you!

So... I guess all this proves is that I am just a sad woman who doesn't really become a fan until someone is a really good skater? :rofl2: Hey, it's a good thing: I just don't want to feel bad all the time when I watch figure skating because my favorites aren't any good and keep losing all the time. :smile:

I was a fan before Sochi, anyway, but really when I became a proper actual Yuzu die-hard fangal... sometime in the 2013 season, I guess! I just *liked* the guy a lot longer than that.

Hi! Pretty new to the forum and to being a yuzuzu fan. I started being a fan after browsing through youtube figure skating videos and I stumbled upon a recommendation showing Yuzu's historic free skate at GPF 2015. I was really in awe even if I kinda don't get the commentators (i remember it was B.ESP) saying "Quadruple Toe loop" or "Triple axel out of nowhere" because all the jumps kind of look the same to me, but it was no less fascinating since I can't even stand straight on the ice and to see people actually jumping and gliding through the ice simultaneously had my respect, and fear. LOL :embSwan:

That was December 2016 (see i'm a newbie fan :devil: ) and it's pretty much my first FS season but at least now I know the difference between jumps and that Yuzuzu is pretty much my favorite and he's a pretty awesome (understatement of the century) skater and person altogether.

Been lurking at PH when it was made but finally had the courage (and the time heehee :embSwan:) to join and talk to you people who love zuzu same as me :) :grin:

I'm slowly becoming more convinced that once you go Hanyu, you can never go back :embSwan:

Oh that's for sure. I don't know anyone who was once a fan and then un-Hanyu'ed :ohno:

I feel like you don't even have to BECOME a fan. If he catched your eye the first time you saw him, sooner or later you will end up deep in Yuzufeels.

The story of how I come to know figure skating is actually with the ladies. I was introduced to Yuna Kim by my Korean students back in 2009/2010 season. And then got to know Mao as well. Overall, I like Yuna better, but there is no way I can deny Mao's excellence as well. And then Sochi happened. To them both. I mean, what the actual what?! :cry:

The men's discipline was not as attractive to me then. (And some of the drama that I witness while watching them on the side of watching the ladies were.. just.. Huff! Not that the ladies don't have drama, but for me it was more worth it during that time)

Then, on tumblr during that time, there was a video of Yuzu posted: he landed a perfect jump on the ice, then proceeded to slip and fall walking on the floor. A version of this:

:rofl2: I find that just adorable!

And I remember the gasping, splatting young boy from 2012, and the ugly Jp Nat the following season. And so, binge-watch all of his performances on YouTube it is! And how do you not fall in love with him and his skating?. Just how?.

And thus began the long journey of stalking his major competitions, online, at least. My poor broke self :crybaby: . I hope someday I can watch him live. Competition or show or even freaking practice session. Anything. :yes:

I'm slowly becoming more convinced that once you go Hanyu, you can never go back :embSwan:

Oh that's for sure. I don't know anyone who was once a fan and then un-Hanyu'ed :ohno:

I feel like you don't even have to BECOME a fan. If he catched your eye the first time you saw him, sooner or later you will end up deep in Yuzufeels.

Yep, that's me - I watched a few videos, slept on it for a few weeks and all of a sudden there were Yuzufeels haha

Clo said:
I see quite a few people mentioned YOI before me... I'm also one who was lured in by it. Funny thing is, I did enjoy the anime, but I wasn't particularly invested in it, nor I consider myself a fan. But yeah, I stumbled upon the (infamous?) debate "Yuuri was inspired by Yuzuru/No he was inspired by Machida" posts, then I watched the Sochi version of PW and... honestly I don't remember what happened right after. It's like a blackout after drinking way too much, but somehow I came back a changed woman :grin: I don't even know how it happened, but suddenly my laptop has a BIG Yuzuru folder. This season was such a rollercoaster... I don't know how I'll survive the next one! I'm too new at this XD

Haha it's funny it's almost exactly my story.

There was just that moment when I checked "Yuzuru Hanyu" on wikipedia to know if that cute boy Yuri was alledgedly inspired by was more than a pretty face on skates, and I remember thinking "holy s...t !!!" when I discovered his palmares...

Then I checked him on youtube and, well. My life has changed forever :love::love::love:

:s_yes Happened to me. Saw his Sochi SP and thought that this kid :laugh: is good. Then the following season, seeing Chopin... :crybaby: :love: :whiteflag: :bow: :drool:

The Olympic season is tarting to catch up now :space:

I became a Yuzu fan that season too, but I've been always a figure skating fan. I remember being a little girl and just loving Plushenko (and Joubert, Lambiel and the rest) I only really watched the men and ice dance ( to the 10 years old me the ladies were booooring, so many crossovers! not jumping quads! and the pairs were scary like nothing else :rofl2: ) I followed all the competitions on the tv until my high school got so demanding I had no time - final exams and 5 years of basicly only studying at the university meant I had a very long pause (I completely missed Vancouver and the seasons after it), but after I graduated I had slowly started to find my passions again. So Sochi was on the horizon and I had to check out who is who, right? Then comes the GPF - and me finding the rising star of Japan (and losing countless hours on youtube :grin:) because it was love at first sight :love: or tbh second, because right after the SP I searched for his other programs and found Worlds FS from 2012 - then there was no going back, at the olympics I was already a full-blown fan :embSwan:

I'm actually really really grateful for him, because he drew me back into figure skating like the way I'm now - interested in the technical stuff, fan of other skaters and disciplines ( like the pairs and ladies :cool:) and all around FS nerd acording to friends and family :laugh:

Your story is similar to mine :) GPF 2013 was the ultimate turning point for me, too :)

My studies couldn't prevent me from watching figure skating though. I always tried to do my exams and finish the winter semester as soon as possible so that nothing distracted me from watching Europeans :rofl2: Worlds was different because there was no exams in March. :) There was only one competition which I barely watched and that was Worlds in 2012, days before my first graduation exams. (RJ1 :cry: )

I still have very good memories from those times, like I remember waking up at an ungodly hour to watch Yuna vs Mao in Vancouver, then running to the uni and almost falling asleep during the class. :rofl2:

I am a freshman in college of Japan.First time I saw Yuzuru was World2013.I thought he looked smart,but nothing more and nothing less.Few months later,I was completely fascinated with Yuzuru at GPF2013.Short program"Parisienne walkways",it was so cool,so exciting,he marked World Record 99.84 at that time.I realized he's very talented then.Although I was busy with studying for high school entrance exam,I went crazy about him. :space:

Finally last month,I can watch him at WTT2017,with my own eyes!! :yay: