REPORT: Lim files complaint against Bell: alleged bullying, interference

Despite whatever some people on twitter say, and whatever Raf says, I still mantain that the skaters doing RT still need to keep some awareness of what happens around them and adapt. The implication of the right of way being sacred are ludicrous.

Imagine a skater doing a jump on the free side of the rink, falls and before he can get up, the one with music on arrives to execute his choreo and what should do? slash across the one who fell? I don't think that would be morally acceptable. Isn't some degree of common sense applied in rinks? Aren't those rules supposed to be in place to prevent harm? it would be mightly weird if those very rules resulted in causing harm...

I've read the complete translation of Raf's interview and he says skaters follow their own traces when doing a jump (cited Yuzu and Mao), hence those patterns into jumps can't be changed. Ok, but sometimes skaters need to adapt. Heck, the Olympic rink had those protective boards for speed skating and all skaters HAD to adapt their usual patterns to the smallest size of the rink. Sometimes there are smaller rinks, iirc Boston WC was one of them? What would have Mariah done, in a smaller rink? Crashed on the boards because she had the right of way but the boards were too stubborn to move out of her path? Seriously? :gaah:

also, it really looks like no one in US media is gonna talk about the alleged bullying. No reference to that, only to the right of way was discussed, and adults meddling. Well, I can see why Eunsoo's parents and agent would meddle, they are supposed to watch after Eunsoo's interests...on the other side, the Rippons and Duhamels and Wagners of the world would have really no business in meddling in...

Tbh, for how things have shaped up, it sounds like it could be a larger issue than just among two skaters.

Eunsoo's been the only one gracious. While it's true her agency started everything, the reaction of so many big names in the skating community has been so skewed. Again, Eunsoo literally had nothing to gain form letting her agency throw those accusations of bullyism. Her coach left her without moral support at Worlds while she had to skate injured and part of the skating community, an influential part, has ganged up against her, I guess both online and off. It won't help her training, it won't help her scores.

I wish Eunsoo to find another training location where she can feel welcomed.

1 hour ago, MeowZu said:

I don't get the part where Yuzu and Mao are mentioned by Raf? Something about falling on jumps and trajectories? 

I think he used them as examples of skater always following the same path into a jump to the millimeter (hence it would be wrong to think Mariah could adjust her trajectory). From what I gather, he thinks Mao and Yuzu slipped because they followed their tracings. I guess he's referring to one of those weird slips Yuzu did on loop take off. My guess is that when they0re on their precvious tracings (or,maybe, in general, were the ice has been shaved) the surface doesn't grip their skates properly, so they slip. I was trying to imagine that also thinking about what Yuzuru has said about the ice being like sushi on hard rice on the day of the SP...

full translation

Spoiler

Ignoring the bullying allegations is the highest red flag for me. If it weren’t for the bullying allegations (and the way Raf treated Eunsoo later) I’d honestly believed the “attack” was an accident and that Mariah was simply rude for failing to apologize and make sure Eunsoo was okay.

If you start calling your students 'the Korean', then l don't think there is much point in her staying there.

Didn't he also say he hadid trouble communicating with Marin? Maybe she wasn't the issue there.

Am honestly disgusted by the whole thing. How often hasn't bullying been raised as a problem to be taken seriously? I guess not by a seizable part of the North American skating community.

27 minutes ago, Deliverpooh said:

If you start calling your students 'the Korean', then l don't think there is much point in her staying there.

Didn't he also say he hadid trouble communicating with Marin? Maybe she wasn't the issue there.

Am honestly disgusted by the whole thing. How often hasn't bullying been raised as a problem to be taken seriously? I guess not by a seizable part of the North American skating community.

That was so ugly. Brezina has a foreign name too and Raf bothered to learn it. It’s so clear it’s racism idk why the American skating community is sleeping on it.

8 hours ago, anski said:

That was so ugly. Brezina has a foreign name too and Raf bothered to learn it. It’s so clear it’s racism idk why the American skating community is sleeping on it.

Well, to him Brezina might be a "less exotic name", but that's no excuse. It seems especially awful, that in one interview he said both "the Korean" and Michal's whole name. And if he hasn't learned her name (or at least some sort of nickname, the Korean, come on man) during the time she's been with him, I feel really sorry for her. 

I can pronounce her name, and I am just a figure skating fan. He's her coach and calls her the Korean as if she's an opponent in a boxing match.

Also, interesting how many American commentators only talk about things like right of way and the bullying allegations go unmentioned. The whole thing very much reminds me of a situation where a bullied person gets silenced, because their issues are inconvenient to a teacher and the rest of a class.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:50 AM, hoodie axel said:

https://twitter.com/TheAnnaWatson/status/1110151406667907072?s=09

Well... At least he didn't build the bus he threw her under...

False, Nathan skated after Yuzu 5 times. He beat him 3/5 times. (2018 Olympics, 2017 Worlds, 2017 4CC, 2017 CoR, 2019 Worlds.)

ETA: "Yuzuru won all the practices"? Did he see Yuzu's practices :facepalm: Or does this have some other hidden meaning about poohs or fans? WTF too cryptic for me

53 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

What does that even mean lol 

What does anything he says lately mean? The other part of this that I enjoyed was him going on about the super big "coaching secret" of why he didn't let Nathan jump during one of the practices, only to have the reporter, who hadn't even asked about it in the first place, immediately guess exactly what the secret was  :rofl3:

7 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

Someone from Team Raf being invited to ATS makes me, ah, worried about Lim.

You mean... Nathan? Why?

He's an alright kid to me still... at the time of my writing this comment at least. 

I don't see any reason (yet) to see him as a part of the problem in this case (especially with him mostly training on his own (ie. out of Lakewood) this season). I saw some people on twitter dragging him for still being friendly with Mariah (and for expressing condolensces to JC back then), but let's not conflate being friendly with someone problematic with condoning the problematic deeds that problematic person has done. 

So, uh... Well, unless something that proves Nathan as someone problematic on this respect (eg. Nathan clearly treated Eunsoo in a bad way) surfaces, I won't see him as someone problematic.

5 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

You mean... Nathan? Why?

Not Nathan in general, which is why I didn't put his name in. Just that I hope that Team Raf still having relations with ATS isn't used against Lim in some way, "like oh look ATS is still fine with that team what happened". Or that they aren't trying to get the issue swept under the rug now.

17 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Not Nathan in general, which is why I didn't put his name in. Just that I hope that Team Raf still having relations with ATS isn't used against Lim in some way, "like oh look ATS is still fine with that team what happened". Or that they aren't trying to get the issue swept under the rug now.

Oh okay, I see what you mean now. :think:

As I see it I think the media attention has died down compared to the Worlds week, so I am not sure if by now there are still any media outlet keen on exploiting this issue with that angle. Let's just hope that won't happen though.

Also, the one that would actively swipe this under the rug is most definitely rAf himself, so, uh...if one can find a way for him not to do that... That would be flippin' great!