Team Russia

1 hour ago, monchan said:

The first thing I think of is Masquerade by ToshI, not Masquerade Waltz:))))

This piece has the same vibe as Anna Karenina, very Russian too. It might suit her.

Oh, good choice! Zhenya could totally do it! Can't wait to watch it! :tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw:

omg ! we already need the new programs thread!! :studsmatta:

On 3/12/2020 at 12:37 PM, monchan said:

Trusova served her FS practice in place for Worlds :). Yuzu should do the same :war:

I don't know how to put this but, compared to a lot of other skaters, her basic stroking seems like it costs her a lot of effort. She really looks like she's labouring during those moments. Her skating is clearly not effortless. 5 quads but she can't  fly across the ice. 

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I don't know how to put this but, compared to a lot of other skaters, her basic stroking seems like it costs her a lot of effort. She really looks like she's labouring during those moments. Her skating is clearly not effortless. 5 quads but she can't  fly across the ice. 

Frankly? No one seems to think she needs that skill as long as she rotates those quadruples and lands them. The girl gets 5 points over in PCS above Marin Honda, for instance. 

Just now, Fay said:

Frankly? No one seems to think she needs that skill as long as she rotates those quadruples and lands them. The girl gets 5 points over in PCS above Marin Honda, for instance. 

I know. There's nothing in that program run-through that made me feel it would deserve a medal at Worlds. But when even the stroking is off....!

Just now, rockstaryuzu said:

I know. There's nothing in that program run-through that made me feel it would deserve a medal at Worlds. But when even the stroking is off....!

Figure skating is a bloody circus now. I was sorta forbidding myself to think in that line, but the recent events made me think I might give up closely following the sport once Yuzu is done with it. 
or watch it in a detached manner, ignoring who gets the medals and enjoying skaters and programs I think great. The further I get, the more the two get disconnected.

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Agree. For sure, the fact that she can land those quads is impressive. She deserves to get points for base value (if they are fully rotated and done with a proper technique), but not much GOE and PCS max in 6 tbh for that skate. If her team has a strategy to go only for quads, that's their choice, but she shouldn't be given any bonus points for other aspects that she's not bringing. So still, in any sensible system, she should be possible to beat even with a clean skate with 5 quads.

4 minutes ago, rubyblue said:

Agree. For sure, the fact that she can land those quads is impressive. She deserves to get points for base value (if they are fully rotated and done with a proper technique), but not much GOE and PCS max in 6 tbh for that skate. If her team has a strategy to go only for quads, that's their choice, but she shouldn't be given any bonus points for other aspects that she's not bringing. So still, in any sensible system, she should be possible to beat even with a clean skate with 5 quads.

Scoring aside, I just don't see how she can successfully deliver results over the long term when she's lacking such a fundamental basic thing. The fact that she does is a testament to her own athleticism and determination, but raw physical talent will only get you so far. 

And we've seen this with her losses to Scherbakova and Kostornia already. Quads are not the be-all end-all

11 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Scoring aside, I just don't see how she can successfully deliver results over the long term when she's lacking such a fundamental basic thing. The fact that she does is a testament to her own athleticism and determination, but raw physical talent will only get you so far. 

Eteri don't care about "long-term" in her strategy, her current skaters might only need to last for 1 or 2 more seasons before other Junior girls in their team take over the job. That is an endless process and how Russian ladies' skating has reigned for many years now. As long as Russia pours money on young skaters, that operation will keep running. :sipping: