Yatagarasu

[2018] Olympic Games (09-25.02) - Practice, Fluff & all the In-betweens

Practice, Fluff & all the In-betweens 

Olympic Winter Games 2018

PyeongChang /KOR

09.02.2018 - 25.02.2018

TEAM EVENT

All pre-comp discussion, practice reports, as well as fluff and other in-betweens during the competition goes here!

Competition threads for all disciplines will be opened separately!

*times listed hereon are in your local time
Instructions for Streaming
  • Live QQ
    • Hosted and commentated by Hua Hua (also formerly known as pandaguy?)
    • Good quality
    • the user comments flying across the screen can be turned off with a toggle on the bottom right of the video
  • CBC
    • Great quality, free
    • Requires VPN service, the Opera in-built free VPN set for Canada works
  • Other links will be added later on
  • All OPs for individual disciplines will contain links for streaming too for easy access

Time and practice schedule for the Team Event

According to the Team Event Qualification System for the Figure Skating Team Event, the following Teams have qualified for the Figure Skating Team Event at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, in PyeongChang / KOR (in order of qualification):
(* It is yet unknown if Korea will be represented by the unified team or not. Individual members of the teams are yet to be announced.)

# NOC/ISU Member
1 Canada
2 Russia
3 United States of America
4 Japan
5 China
6 Italy
7 France
8 Germany
9 Israel
10 Republic of Korea

I'm at the I can't wait stage :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I'm also playing math regularly as it's a really big question if Japan will even qualify for the free portion. We've talked about Yuzuru possibly doing one of the segments, or even both maybe but the first issue is, will he even have a choice. 

No matter how I look at it, it is going to be tough and there's another snag. If by some chance, the Korean team is a unified team, then Japan chances go down as the NK only have the pair but that pair is very good and definitely will place ahead of the Japanese, unlike now with the SK pair. 

So I think we'll see Yuzuru in the SP as relying on the free qualification is quite risky.

I think Yuzu will still have an option not to compete since the 'backup', Shoma, is not an insignificant skater himself.  It's too easy to see Japan as having just one truly world-class men's skater.  Shoma is not to be ignored.  I will grant, however, that for the SP Yuzu would seem to be the best option since seven of his twelve scoring records involved his SP of the time, including his most recent record, the SP back at ACI.  Best case scenario, Yuzu skates short, which is the program that was most successful for him during his recent very short season.  Shoma then skates FS.  The SP takes place during the morning of the day of the opening ceremony (scheduled for that evening), February 9th.  Yuzu should be able to handle participating in the opening ceremony since, if he isn't going to do the FS in the Team Competition, the men's SP for the individual competition isn't until February 16th, giving him a nice chunk of time to really practice.  Of course finding time to practice beyond the formally scheduled times, when all of the rinks in Korea are probably being used, could be problematic.  If I were Brian and company I'd want a rink that is devoted only to Yuzu and Javi, so I'd secure a practice rink in Japan, where finding something like that would be easier.  Flying back and forth involves fairly short jaunts, so the commuting would not be all that difficult, and particularly since Japan and Korea are in the same time zone, there would be no jet lag issues.  If Yuzu does skate the SP you can be sure that there will be plenty of coverage, since the return of Yuzuru Hanyu to competition after such a long time since his last competition will be an extremely important story not just for figure skating, but for the entire Olympics.  We have to remember that Yuzu's stature internationally is as great (if not greater) than that of any other competitor at the Olympics across all disciplines.  He's a bonafide superstar and there will be plenty of interest about him, not only from the perspective of returning after the injury but also involving his attempt to repeat gold and thus do something no Olympic male skater has done since Dick Button took his second Olympic gold in 1952.  That story will be one that will be a subject of general interest for all the media.  For us planeteers, however, there is all the suspense generated by the intense secrecy that has involved Yuzu since the day of the 'fall heard round the world'.

PS - The rosters for the FCC this coming weekend are out and two of the significant challengers to Yuzu will not be there, Patrick and Nathan.  Shoma and Boyang will be there and for Boyang, it's his first competition since before the GPF.  He's another of the walking wounded that have littered the FS landscape this season.

6 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

What about an Opening Ceremonies Watch Party of our own, satellites?:happy:

i would like that tbh, start crying together and stuff

Two deadlines before the Olympics and work during it  :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

If someone finds my sanity wandering around lost in the next few weeks please be kind to send it back my way   :snpeace:

I hope we've absorbed all of Yuzu's nerves because I don't think I've ever been this nervous before in my life. Yuzu, let go of all nerves and let them come to us. I mean, we're dead already, but you've got to go for the gold now. No room for nerves.

43 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

Oh yes please!!! (I'll likely be watching anyway and our viewing parties are always such fun)

I think he is going to want to compete - not just for the competition after all these months but because he always wants to represent his country.  I'm sure Shoma would do a good job, but Yuzuru is the one with all the records and if there's a chance he'll come out of the gate the way he did at ACI I can't see JSU not picking him - they've said they will.

39 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

We'll have one, just a little bit early for putting that one up just yet :0006:

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

I think Yuzu will still have an option not to compete since the 'backup', Shoma, is not an insignificant skater himself. 

Participation in the Team event isn't related to Shoma though, in any way. It's about being away competitions for months and the team event is his one chance of getting some under his belt. If he wants to he can skip it, Japan has no medal chances either way and Shoma (and Keiji) can skate then but considering his current situation it is about getting some practice in before the big event. This is why I see skating the free is actually an option, while it otherwise would not be due to the time between the team and the individual but there we run into the qualifying issues. And as @Sombreuil says, he's always been very proud to represent Japan so there is that aspect as well.

Also I must say I have my doubts about him being in the Opening ceremony. Not just the bad timing but the weather. In this cold, with his asthma, I'd say it is actually way more likely he'll skip.

I could be wrong, but, especially after neither the US nor Canada sent their top skaters to 4CC, I wondered if maybe Japan sending Shoma is a way of saying he's not their top guy anymore (with Yuzu recovering from injury, it'd be safer to have two top guys). I've had this thought since GPF, like he had his chance to be top and he didn't follow through, so now he's second to Yuzu... But that could easily just be me. We know Shoma has more experience with back to back competitions and if he wins 4CC he'll probably take over first in the standings, so in some ways it makes sense. But it still feels a bit weird, because they really didn't have to send Shoma there and it is a risk. (Boyang I think is a different story, so I'm not counting him. He's always had a different pace from the rest, I think.) Bottom line is, as far as team event goes, I'm not sure Shoma will be given a choice before Yuzu. Shoma will probably choose whatever's left after Yuzu makes his choices. And they pretty much said it will be so, already...

And personally, I hope he skips anything that isn't essential to competing. I even prefer he travel from Canada straight to Korea with his entourage, instead of the whole Team Japan, and stay under the radar until competition time. But I'm pretty sure that won't be possible...