https://anythinggoe.com/2022olympicteamevent/

Interesting predictions for the team event. I actually didn't know Miura / Kihara qualified for the GPF this season. Japan really does have a shot at this team medal then...

For the record I am almost certain Russia will split the women and make Mark K skate both segments because he's not really a medal contender anyway? But uh, maybe he does have a real outside shot at a medal idk. Either way I think Kamila will skate the SP and Anna the FS...

I think for Russian ladies the only real question was whether Trusova will do FP or not. Shcherbakova does really badly this season and has "only" one "quad". She is already lucky that she goes to Olympics at all. Trusova bombed euros FP, sooo... I think there is still a tiny possibility, depending how her training goes now, but Valieva to both SP and FP makes the most sense, especially if rus fed wants to have an ego trip in TE.

Katsalapov's back will not survive 4 performances at Olympics and I'm pretty sure rus fed still wants their id medal, even if not gold.

I'm not sure Liu will clear herself from covid in time for team event?...

About Japanese ladies, in fact, what makes the most sense is sending Kaori to both.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Wakaba is crazy unreliable, which is why support for her from JSF was very on and off during last 4 years. But let's assume that they will split, since they can. For Wakaba's sake I think SP should be the best choice, but only if she promises to not do 3a. She used to score 70-72 with 3 triples SP, she should be ok. OTOH it definitely will be not ok when she pops this second lutz again and ends up with 6 triples FP instead of planned 8. Her FP layout makes ZERO sense.

I reallt, really, really, really, really, really, really hope Yuzuru will skip team event. Ffs, seriously?! A bunch of unnecessary distractions, especialy when they will win this medal, Yuma+Uno are more than enough and for what? To be burried below [redacted]?! You bet he will get this SP wr at some point and team event is just a playground for big feds setting the stage for individual events. FABULOUS, indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

The ISU Council called for a gradual increase in the age minimum in figure skating

The ISU has submitted a proposal to the 2022 congress about gradual raise of the age minimum in figure skating. This is stated in the preliminary agenda of the congress, which was at the disposal of Match TV.

This proposal was formed on the basis of data received from the ISU Medical Commission on this issue. The Council proposes that age minimum to compete in seniors in all disciplines remain unchanged (15 years old) for the next season and start it from the 2023/24 season raise it to 16 years old, and from the 2024/25 season to 17 years old.

18 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Do you know what it will cause? It will overcrowd national junior fields. It literally 2 times extends the time they have to spend in juniors. Which means 2 times more kids fighting for the same amount of JGP, JWC (and, ugh, YOG) spots. And in an attempt to outdo your competitiors, it means even more 3a, even more quads.

1 minute ago, Paskud said:

Do you know what it will cause? It will overcrowd national junior fields. It literally 2 times extends the time they have to spend in juniors. Which means 2 times more kids fighting for the same amount of JGP, JWC (and, ugh, YOG) apots. And in an attempt to outdo your competitiors, it means even more 3a, even more quads.

Exactly. 

The competition will be huge so everyone will raise their technical limit in order to get better results -  they will get injured by age 15-16 because of quads, in worse case forced to retire.

It's just not the solution to be honest. With a rule like this someone like Yuzu couldn't have finished 3rd at his first Worlds, which would've been unfair.

They should rather invest in training their judges, and apply their rules better, if needed make modifications that their rules will be clearer. And make a system of accountability which is strict, not something like the Official Assessment Committee does. Of course first they need a will to do it. If there's no will, nothing will change.

On 2/12/2022 at 1:11 PM, Figure_Frenzy said:

Interesting (and IMO thoughtful) article on the distinction (or lack thereof) between men's and women's figure skating

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in-a-sports-world-segregated-by-gender-figure-skating-has-often-blurred-those-lines/amp/

meh, i mean the only skaters doing quads or even consistent 3As are eteri's and it's not been proven it works after puberty (and, sadly, maybe without other reasons this doping scandal put into light)