Depressingly the more strident ‘fans’ would like to make the likes of  Yuzuru and Jason retire too, because they are ‘past their best’ ‘boring and repetitive ‘ and should ‘make way for younger skaters’.  I sometimes wonder who the hell these people are that feel entitled to make such pronouncements about the careers of intelligent talented hard working athletes.  I very much doubt there is a fraction of their talent or hard work, and as for intelligence......

I feel like those people, don't care so much about the sport itself, as they do about "who wins". Even if Jason were to never medal again i wouldn't want him to retire as long as he enjoys it, because he makes skating so much richer and more beautiful just by his presence. Many of my favorites will probably never win a major medal, does that mean they should just "move over" and retire? No offense to juniors but I feel like if all the veterans retired after their competitive "peak" the sport would be much poorer for it

4 hours ago, Pink Elephants said:

I feel like those people, don't care so much about the sport itself, as they do about "who wins". Even if Jason were to never medal again i wouldn't want him to retire as long as he enjoys it, because he makes skating so much richer and more beautiful just by his presence. Many of my favorites will probably never win a major medal, does that mean they should just "move over" and retire? No offense to juniors but I feel like if all the veterans retired after their competitive "peak" the sport would be much poorer for it

not to mention if the only people who competed were medal contenders, then the events would be real short. 

plus, in the case of a lot of lower ranking skaters, especially from small feds, their competitive experience is really important for building the sport in their home countries. through competitions, they acquire knowledge and contacts, and can generate interest in the sport back home. so even if, say, Julian Zhi Jie Yee, is not a serious medal contender in most competitions, his presence on the international competitive scene is a huge boon for Malaysian figure skating.

5 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

Depressingly the more strident ‘fans’ would like to make the likes of  Yuzuru and Jason retire too, because they are ‘past their best’ ‘boring and repetitive ‘ and should ‘make way for younger skaters’.  I sometimes wonder who the hell these people are that feel entitled to make such pronouncements about the careers of intelligent talented hard working athletes.  I very much doubt there is a fraction of their talent or hard work, and as for intelligence......

honestly, those people are just irrational haters and not really worth engaging with. it's best just to ignore or point and laugh at them, the way you would someone who goes around claiming the earth is flat. 

Oh, I don’t engage anywhere but here anymore- but one can’t help wondering whether that narrative gets through to the skaters, especially those who engage on social media like Jason.

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

Oh, I don’t engage anywhere but here anymore- but one can’t help wondering whether that narrative gets through to the skaters, especially those who engage on social media like Jason.

Well I am afraid it does ,after all none of them lives in a vacuum and it’s pretty sad .

also I am always puzzled by this line  of thinking ,let’s say they all retire and your favourite skater still doesn’t win what do you do?

Muddled thinking - without competition what is the value of your idols success?  Also living in a bubble - one of my children describes their circle of friends as living in an echo chamber - they only associate with people who think the same way as they do so they rarely encounter a really different viewpoint.  When they do it is a shock, an immense affront to their sensibilities and they overreact.

Looking at this I'm wondering, what's ChSq element? If Nathan can easily add 5.50 to his marks by ChSq then why doesn't everyone do it? Why doesn't Yuzu's ChSq get +5 across the board before? Does it have more to do with acting than actual skating? http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1920/gpfra2019/FSKMSINGLES-----------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf 

On 10/31/2019 at 10:50 PM, Pink Elephants said:

And, their competitive peak isn't necessarily their personal peak. Like, Zhenya's skating is better than ever but the competition isn't what it was when she was 15. She'll probably never win World's again, but that doesn't mean her skating isn't better now than when she did win. They're two different peaks.

51 minutes ago, memae said:

(whole post)

So true! I agree I think Evgenia has improved so much since she went to Canada, and skating so well last week after the disaster short was a huge personal victory to her too, same with Kevin today. And when you look at the greater picture skaters who aim for gold are relatively rare in comparison - for the majority of skaters getting out there, skating clean or landing whatever jump they struggle with is a huge victory. Everyone's victory looks different and anyway, sport means winning against yourself first :) So I don't really get people who say "if you won't medal/get rich/be famous what's the point". Imo skating only to challenge yourself and out of love for the sport is just as admirable

19 hours ago, Pink Elephants said:

So I don't really get people who say "if you won't medal/get rich/be famous what's the point".

That's... kinda what Yuzu thinks tho :goat:

I think everyone lives competition in a different way, the important thing is not to decide when and why other people should or should not compete. Everybody decides their own life.

43 minutes ago, Salior said:

@shanshani did the reddit person PM you about the reason Shoma left his coach? 

no, turns out they just worded their comment badly. they don't know and just wanted to discuss via PM

32 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

That's... kinda what Yuzu thinks tho :goat:

I think everyone lives competition in a different way, the important thing is not to decide when and why other people should or should not compete. Everybody decides their own life.

yeah, but I'm sure that's only what he thinks for himself and his own approach to his career. he would never say that there's no point in someone else competing if they can't win