Other Sports

sallycinnamon

49 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Trump-Robertson matches are a must-watch nowadays. It's always top quality and big drama, too. The Champion of Champions final last year must have been the most painful one for Judd. Leading 9-8 and potted the match ball already, but Neil somehow managed to get all 3 snookers he needed and win 10-9

Saw that, crazy match, but imo the last one on Sunday might be even more painful - he was on his way, the one he missed in the decider was a ball he never should have missed... Plus, they were both emotionally and physically exhausted, Judd more, because he plays practically non stop this season, and, well, it's another lost Triple Crown title... He still has only 3, that's really unbelievable to me. Well Neil only won his 5th, that's also crazy.

I really, really admire him for his drive, he decided to play another tournament right away (he said in the Eurosport studio that he doesn't want to regret not giving himself a chances while he still has stamina to play that much, in a few years it may not be possible, he wants to win as much as he can while he can...) Imo, he is destined to break many records, including ranking titles records (don't think he will get close to Ronnie's 20 Triple Crowns though), really, I must say I'm so proud of him because he really made me mad in his younger days, usually when I was watching him he tended to do some stupid things that cost him matches he should have won, lol.

43 minutes ago, airi said:

He still has only 3, that's really unbelievable to me. Well Neil only won his 5th, that's also crazy.

This is very true. But that just shows again the insane depth of the field and how hard it is to win titles now. I really admire Judd for his drive to compete as much as he can. His huge lead in the rankings is well deserved. Overall I'm very grateful that we have so much snooker on German television and the chance to follow this great sport.

When I discovered Yuzu in 2016, the men's field in FS was a pleasure to watch and the scoring somewhat reasonable, too. At that time I watched more figure skating, but the last two years snooker has been more enjoyable for me again. The overall quality of the tournaments is great and, thank God, the referees can't spoil anything. It's not about narratives and candies, but ability and performance.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

This is very true. But that just shows again the insane depth of the field and how hard it is to win titles now. I really admire Judd for his drive to compete as much as he can. His huge lead in the rankings is well deserved. Overall I'm very grateful that we have so much snooker on German television and the chance to follow this great sport.

When I discovered Yuzu in 2016, the men's field in FS was a pleasure to watch and the scoring somewhat reasonable, too. At that time I watched more figure skating, but the last two years snooker has been more enjoyable for me again. The overall quality of the tournaments is great and, thank God, the referees can't spoil anything. It's not about narratives and candies, but ability and performance.

Gosh I miss FS sooo much... I mean the real FS comps, not the one that are happening now, that only makes me depressed. I can only rewatch Yuzu's and some of my other faves now... If at least we knew when there will be a chance for the return of normal fs competitions... but of course we don't know ;(

So yeah, since I have a bit more free time than usually because of pandemic and there's no fs, I'm really so happy for rediscovering snooker now, that's completely different sport to figure skating, but at the same time, it's also an art in it. No one can tell me that Ronnie's cue ball control or Judd's crazy cue power is not an art.

(and in Poland snooker is also very popular - our commentators are great too, big snooker freaks, players themselves, love hearing their commentary most of the time :) that's really rare that I prefer watch commentary version, that would never happen with fs, lol :D)

• 2 weeks later...

Yay Timo and Borussia Düsseldorf won the condensed Championsleague turnament. They went with a bubble system for that. I would have to look up the specifics again but you can glean a little from the Vlogs Timo made. They had PCR Test beforehand and aside from the table teams were devided from one another.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've followed a few sports the past few weeks, most of all tennis and football.

Congratulations Italy on winning the European Championships. :clap:

Overall I think the best team won this tournament - they played a nice attacking style of football, their technical skills are one of the bests in the world and along with team spirit and hunger for victories they were unbeatable at this tournament. 

England was a bit of lucky here, first their route to the final was easier and they wanted to push the team into the final so much when England was given a highly questionable penalty against Denmark in the semifinal. They scored a goal early in the final but after that they went all defensive, which is such a dangerous tactics against a strong team like Italy. Italy then equaled and then after England's substitutes weren't very good choices it was Italy's to lose in the penalties. The pressure was then too much on the shoulders on some players in England who couldn't score. So Italy won 3-2 in the penalties. It's not going home after 55 years after all, but going to Rome instead!

The Copa America also ended this weekend, and it had a classic Brazil vs Argentina final. After so many lost finals Argentina managed to win, which also means it's Messi's first big title with his national team. The time difference was too much and all matches were during the night for me, so I could only follow the news and watch some bits of videos later.

Wimbledon's men final was yesterday too and to no one's surprise Djokovic won his 20th Grand Slam, even though he played quite week in the final. Now Djokovic, Federer and Nadal have all 20-20 GS trophies. As of now Djokovic seems unstoppable and if the wins the US Open too then he'll be the first man to win The Grand Slam within a year.

Next up are the Olympics which I'll also follow if I'll have the time. Fingers crossed that all the athletes, organizers, volunteers and everyone else will stay healthy and things will go smoothly in Tokyo. 

• 1 month later...

Beautiful video of Shohei Ohtani :tumblr_meh76xcNA91qdlkyg:

And in case you haven't seen this yet :img_20: Yuzuru was curious about Shohei's weight (about 100kg, Yuzuru said it was almost the twice as his) and the way he put his weight on the ball, Shohei said gaining body weight was only one of the methods for putting the weight on the ball, and the most important thing was skill and the body core. The man talked to Yuzuru and Shohei was Sadaharu Oh, he participated in Tokyo Olympics as one of the torch relay in the stadium. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 11:20 PM, Sombreuil said:

I haven’t watched tennis since Martina Navratilova’s heyday but Fernandez v Raducanu is a great match so far (battling for the first set) .

It's fantastic that Raducanu was able to win US Open, winning 19 (1) straight sets, including the ones in the qualifying rounds.

Also congrats to Medvedev on winning his first Grand Slam title. The pressure was too much on Novak on winning not only his record breaking 21st Grand Slam but his 4th GS in the same year which was never done by anyone in the men's field. He already played a bit weaker at the previous matches but the difference between him and Medvedev was too much in the final. Djokovic will still win a couple of more GS titles, but I don't think he will ever have the chance for achieving the calendar Grand Slam.

2 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

The pressure was too much on Novak on winning not only his record breaking 21st Grand Slam but his 4th GS in the same year which was never done by anyone in the men's field.

I'm sure Rod Laver did that twice in the sixties and iirc someone before WWII did that as well. Although if you mean the open era in tennis then it was only Rod Laver with his second Calendar Grand Slam (1969). But still, to do this after so many years would be an incredible accomplishment for Djokovic. 

Btw, I agree Fernandez v. Raducanu was a really good match! 

4 hours ago, Lira said:

I'm sure Rod Laver did that twice in the sixties and iirc someone before WWII did that as well. Although if you mean the open era in tennis then it was only Rod Laver with his second Calendar Grand Slam (1969). But still, to do this after so many years would be an incredible accomplishment for Djokovic. 

Btw, I agree Fernandez v. Raducanu was a really good match! 

Oh thanks, I didn't know Rod Laver has done it already in the open era. Maybe I was confused because he'd be the first one amongst those who have the most GS titles so far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Congrats to Max Versappen on winning his first World Championships title and winning the first ever title for The Netherlands! I don't follow F1 these days that much, but I watched today's race and it was really exciting.

I still remember Max's father Jos who competed in the 1990s, it's crazy his son is now a World Champion :O 

Lewis can fight for that record breaking 8th title next season.

It's nice he shared some pictures with his father today.

• 4 weeks later...

TENNIS - Australian Open - big drama about Novak Djokovic who was given exemption by tennis panel for not being vaccinated so he could play, then there was absolute fury from Australians who have stuck to rules re Covid and travel and saw this as really unfair and not putting health of others including the Australian people first, and NOW THIS! (They are calling him No-vax on twitter...)