Other Sports

sallycinnamon

Even Neymar tested positive for COVID19...

I'm so relieved when Yuzu already made a sensible decision. In this weather travelling abroad is unimaginable and ISU is still being like "We'll see". And they decide to look at it at the next, and the next, and the next meeting :war: 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Japanese gymnast Kohei Uchimura got tested positive despite having been isolated with the national team in the national training center to get ready for an international competition to be held in Tokyo. The team arrived at the NTC on 20th, and they got tested negative upon entering it.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20201029/p2g/00m/0sp/147000c

Like Yuzu, Kohei has been dedicating his whole life to gymnastics and hadn't even gone out with his family for leisure. So sad that he has to go through this in addition to his struggle with injury... The article says he is asymptomatic. I hope it is true and he will stay safe as well as other team members. I also hope FIG, JOC, and IOC will prioritize safety.

On 10/30/2020 at 3:16 PM, sweetwater said:

Japanese gymnast Kohei Uchimura got tested positive despite having been isolated with the national team in the national training center to get ready for an international competition to be held in Tokyo. The team arrived at the NTC on 20th, and they got tested negative upon entering it.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20201029/p2g/00m/0sp/147000c

Like Yuzu, Kohei has been dedicating his whole life to gymnastics and hadn't even gone out with his family for leisure. So sad that he has to go through this in addition to his struggle with injury... The article says he is asymptomatic. I hope it is true and he will stay safe as well as other team members. I also hope FIG, JOC, and IOC will prioritize safety.

Update: Kohei got re-tested, and the results were negative. Other national team members got tested negative too. It is confusing, but I am glad if they are all safe.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20201101/p2g/00m/0sp/008000c

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/11/01/more-sports/gymnastics/kohei-uchimura-negative-coronavirus/

3 hours ago, sweetwater said:

Update: Kohei got re-tested, and the results were negative. Other national team members got tested negative too. It is confusing, but I am glad if they are all safe.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20201101/p2g/00m/0sp/008000c

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/11/01/more-sports/gymnastics/kohei-uchimura-negative-coronavirus/

I am glad Kohei is doing well but it just shows again how unreliable these tests are. 😐

It makes me think of tennis player Fernando Verdasco who produced multiple negative tests before Roland Garros and then when he got to Paris one of his tests was positive, so he got automatically banned from the competition. No retesting was allowed for him. The organizers later changed the rules so anyone who got tested positive was allowed to get retested - except for Verdasco. He was very angry and was considering to sue the organizers of Roland Garros, which is understandable in his situation. He is quite an old player and this may have been his last RG, he was preparing for it half a year. Frustrating.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFkkFj_j1ut/?igshid=1u9njjad7cizu

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFnKjBMjFxI/?igshid=1dgqhbxp9vkdb

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to praise the World Snooker Association for their Corona measures and organization of the current season.

Since 3/4 of the tour players are based in Great Britain, they decided to host all events at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes, England. Hotels near the arena have been turned into a provisional residence for overseas players until April with special measures regarding hygiene, social distancing and regular Corona tests. Players who live within driving distance are allowed to return home between competitions, but they have to follow strict rules. From 128 tour players 4 have been tested positive in the past 3 months (with a really packed competition schedule). Not ideal but acceptable, I'd say.

The competitions all take place without spectators. There is a virtual clapping sound instead to generate some kind of 'live atmosphere'. It was a bit weird at the beginning, but now it really feels like having spectators around and there are some funny clapping bloopers during the match occasionally. Eurosport, BBC, Chinese CCTV and several betting sites have the rights for live broadcast and streaming and they all work very well.

During a match there are only the two players, the referee and two cameramen in the arena. Every player has an own set of equipment (cue, rest cues, extensions etc.) and an own sitting corner with desinfectants and tissue cases. The traditional handshake between the players and the referee has been abandoned and they take care to keep maximum distance at the table, if possible.

So all in all it feels like an almost normal season with all major tournaments from the regular calendar. The players get normal ranking points and full prize money despite the lack of ticket revenue. This is probably the biggest feat of the WPBSA, to ensure the players' remaining on the tour, fair conditions to compete and to earn their money.

Ironically, this is season seems to have the highest overall quality of match play, probably ever. There have never been so many century and maximum breaks in the first half of the season. It's crazy.

Oh, someone here watch snooker, good to know :) I used to be a big fan, then completely ignored it for the last...6 years, then a few months ago happened to visit some friends during World Championships, one of them is a snooker freak... and so I started watching with him and that was the best thing that could happened for (lack of) figure skating depression I had at the time lol...

(Btw, how is that even possible that ROS is still winning WC? Mad...)

I agree they handle COVID situation really well, even if it's not ideal for players to play all the time in the same place, without audience, and have to live in a bubble during tournaments, but they still can earn the money and fans can still watch... I guess all of them are grateful for that.

They are planning to have Masters in January with audience in London, wonder how it will work out...

@airi Yeah, Ronnie's victory at Worlds is still a mystery to me. He was not even playing that well...

But the funniest thing is Stephen Hendry getting a wild card for this season after 6 years absence :68468287:

I became a snooker fan at Worlds 2014. Neil Robertson playing over 100 centuries that season blew me away and I've been following his career ever since. I was extremely happy for him to win the UK Championship this weekend :cri:

In 2014 and 2015 I watched the Ruhr Open in Mülheim live and had the honour to witness a maximum break from Shaun Murphy in the final, collect signatures from all my favs (Robbo, Selby, Judd, Allen, Kyren, Shaun, Willo and many others) and have a talk with some of them in the cafeteria. They were all so nice and frank, it was an unforgettable experience.

@Henni147So you became a fan the very moment I stopped following snooker - almost literally, I think the last match I (fully) watched was 2014 Worlds final, it was funny deja vu I had this year when I was watching O'Sullivan vs Selby again :D (ok, not in the final, but still).

But some things did change, Judd Trump used to be my problematic fave and a big uderachiever for the scale of his talent, and now he is a winning machine, lol. I'm now searching for new problematic fave, any recommendations? :D

I think my ultimate favourite always was and still is MJ Williams (I feel l so bad that I didn't care about snooker in 2018 when he won WC, lol). That's really crazy that this famous 92 class with Mark, Ronnie and Higgins still competes at this level, nearly 30 years... Especially ROS tbh because I think I remember he "retired" number of times already :D

And it will be interesting to see SH comeback, if it really happens because I don't think he joined any tournament yet.

(147 in your username is after maximum break right? I write it right as I watched Judd attack a maxi in Scottish Open while working from home - gosh, snooker is addictive ;0)

17 hours ago, airi said:

I think my ultimate favourite always was and still is MJ Williams (I feel l so bad that I didn't care about snooker in 2018 when he won WC, lol). That's really crazy that this famous 92 class with Mark, Ronnie and Higgins still competes at this level, nearly 30 years... Especially ROS tbh because I think I remember he "retired" number of times already :D

(147 in your username is after maximum break right? I write it right as I watched Judd attack a maxi in Scottish Open while working from home - gosh, snooker is addictive ;0)

I will never forget Willo's epic victory at Worlds 2018. In the first round he threatened us that - if he wins the title, he'll show up naked at the final press conference - and he did :embSwan:

Also Higgins being runner-up at Worlds three times in a row (2017-19) was a thing to be remembered forever LOL.

I cross my toes and fingers for Judd to become the first player to win the full Home Nations Series and the insane bonus prize of 1 mio £. He has won the English and Northern Ireland Open already. Scottish and Welsh Open left...

My current "problematic" favs are Ding Junhui and Mark Allen. Both are still waiting for their first world title and I wish they'll get it. Barry Hawkins and Kyren Wilson are on my list, too. They all have the quality, they just have to pull it together, when it counts.

And yes, the 147 stands for a maximum :winky:

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I cross my toes and fingers for Judd to become the first player to win the full Home Nations Series and the insane bonus prize of 1 mio £. He has won the English and Northern Ireland Open already. Scottish and Welsh Open left...

I heard commentators said that this is the first season when this bonus doesn't apply. Too bad, because he looks like he could really do it, yesterday looked fresh like a daisy after that insane UK final that finished in the middle of the night (such a pity there had to be a loser there really... Robertson played out of this world snooker all tournament though, totally deserved the title).

I was catching up with everything that happened in those few years and Mark's naked press conference was of the first things I saw... Totally crazy, always loved him for that :laughing:

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

My current "problematic" favs are Ding Junhui and Mark Allen. Both are still waiting for their first world title and I wish they'll get it. Barry Hawkins and Kyren Wilson are on my list, too. They all have the quality, they just have to pull it together, when it counts.

I love Ding, never thought of him as problematic because I always thought it's only a matter of time before he won WC, but yeah, I guess he can fall in that category now... Allen has such a weird results, like this season he won big invitational tournament beating number 1,2 and 3, and in others he loses in 2nd or 3rd round... yeah, really weird that.

Hawkins is also great... in 2013 WC he played much better than many world champions before, but gosh, ROS was totally unplayable that year... Barry was unlucky that he had to face that, he'd be a world champion if he played anyone else...

Didn't watch a lot of Kyren yet, the most of him I saw was of course Worlds, so for now I remember him for the epic fluke that got him in the final :D (in which he played like he didn't even try, sadly).  But he seems like one of the few capable of beating Judd lately, definitely potential :D

31 minutes ago, airi said:

I heard commentators said that this is the first season when this bonus doesn't apply. Too bad, because he looks like he could really do it, yesterday looked fresh like a daisy after that insane UK final that finished in the middle of the night (such a pity there had to be a loser there really... Robertson played out of this world snooker all tournament though, totally deserved the title).

Oh, right! I just saw that Barry Hearn has dropped the bonus prize. He feels, it would be inappropriate to pay off such a big sum in the middle of a pandemic. To ensure lower ranked players' earnings and save their careers has top priority. Rightly so.

Such a shame for Judd, he'd really have a chance to win it this season. Kudos to him that he still competes at the Scottish open despite the tough tournament schedule. Many players would probably withdraw in his situation.

Trump-Robertson matches are a must-watch nowadays. It's always top quality and big drama, too. The Champion of Champions final last year must have been the most painful one for Judd. Leading 9-8 and potted the match ball already, but Neil somehow managed to get all 3 snookers he needed and win 10-9  :10636614: