General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, IceWings said:

NBC posting an article praising Yuzu and listing all of his achievements, and now Adam praising Yuzu. What's going on? Lol.

I lean toward the NBC New York article being a case of a non-staff writer (as far as I can tell) not getting the PR memo and therefore telling the truth on a regional website.

22 hours ago, Henni147 said:

EDIT:

I just received a response from the support team that they apologize for the inconveniences. It seems like they locked my account "by mistake" lol.

They're probably running some sort of automated process to crawl through the content and block accounts for copyright. Looks like they need to tweak their algorithm.

16 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

I don't think Adam really follows what Yuzu says, he probably doesn't know Yuzu hasn't said anything about going to Beijing. But tbh he said nice things about Yuzu this time (and in general it was interesting what he said about the development of men's figure skating in the past Olympic cycles.)

If anyone wants to listen to it, it's from 1:07.50 mark: https://bleav.com/podcast-show/bleav-in-figure-skating/

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

I wouldn't expect him to read translated interviews of Yuzu like we do, but saying, "He (Yuzuru) wants it (the Olympic Gold) so badly" seems like he's putting words in Yuzu's mouth. If he doesn't follow Yuzu that close, it would be better if he said something more general, like "I'm sure he would like a 3rd Gold". Glad to hear him saying nice things about Yuzu though!

12 hours ago, barbara said:

And then there's this from the OC

I think that was from 2018. Probably still applies though. Lol.

12 hours ago, KendallKlaire said:

It certainly is puzzling isn't it? Haha

As far as NBC is concerned I think they're trying to boost Yuzu now that it's an Olympic season. They know that Yuzu is the draw in figure skating which is still one of the most watched sports during the Olympics. Given how dismal the ratings were for these past Olympics, NBC is getting using Yuzu's popularity and boosting his profile early. The skeptical side of me, however, sees this as NBC's strategy of "let's boost up Yuzu so when Nathan beats him it will seem more impressive". 

Now I do believe Adam is smarter and more aware than he lets on. He may not act or say good things when he's on camera or in the spotlight, but I believe that's the personality or image he tries to portray. From his latest interview he has largely the same observations I, and most of us, probably have about mens skating in the last ten years. Given how much he praised Yuzu, I wonder how much pressure NBC puts on their commentators to boost Nathan? Or is that just their own doing? From what I can tell, most (if not all) mens skaters really respect Yuzuru - especially because of his longevity. I mean, how many skaters can say that they're an Olympic medal contender for three cycles?? Though, yeah, Yuzu himself does not seem as driven to win as the previous two - but if he goes then of course he'll do his best!

Yes, now that the Tokyo Olys is over, it's time to hype up Beijing, and Yuzu is a surefire draw. They also want to push that "great rivalry" narrative between Yuzu and Nathan to generate excitement. In order to do that, they need to pump up Yuzu. There's no big rivalry if one party is not that interested in the Olys. Also, Yuzu has not won a single competition against Nate since PyeongChang, and sometimes losing by a significant margin. Plus Yuzu came in 3rd at Worlds, with his Jr. beating him. This does not fit into the "great rivalry" narrative very well. It's really ISU's fault. If they had scored both of them fairly, there would be a very interesting real rivalry right now. Instead, they have to push a fake rivalry narrative because the current scoring system does not promote true rivalry.

8 hours ago, cereus said:

I lean toward the NBC New York article being a case of a non-staff writer (as far as I can tell) not getting the PR memo and therefore telling the truth on a regional website.

That could very well be the case too. :)

12 hours ago, IceWings said:

It's really ISU's fault. If they had scored both of them fairly, there would be a very interesting real rivalry right now. Instead, they have to push a fake rivalry narrative because the current scoring system does not promote true rivalry.

Well, if the scoring was fair, there would probably be no real rivalry either. Nathan's PCS would be somewhere in the low or mid 8's like Nam's and Boyang's, his GOE around +0 / +2 and half of his spins would be invalidated. And if he actually started working on his total package, I bet my salary that his consistency would collapse like a card house. That's what happened to Boyang after the system change.

At the same time, the +4 / +5 GOE on Yuzu's elements and high PCS would give him a comfortable margin, which would probably lead to less pressure, more confidence and hence more clean competitions. He could even afford to play around with the 4A without putting his win at risk. A clean SP alone would give him an advantage of 8-10 points over everyone else, because that's how disarmingly strong he is in that segment.

I could be totally wrong, but the plain numbers tell me that exactly this would happen.

On 19/08/2021 at 20:23, Anni said:

Compte à rebours TV 24h - La part de Yuzu

Crédit : @sarah_sohma sur twitter

Plus que quelques jours et nous revoyons Yuzu.:coup de coeur:

Je suis vraiment curieux de savoir ce qu'il va jouer.

[NOUVELLES]

Hi😊! Do you know if a stream link will be available to watch him on Sunday 🙏

E9KBZr9VcAgQ0jM?format=jpg&name=medium

Looking back at Yuzu's SP scoresheet at the 2021 WC is something 😂 (Thanks skatingscores.com)

- He got 2 0s (!!!!!!) for his 4S, whose range goes from an abysmal 0 to an impressive score of 4.

- The Czech judge was vibing hard and I'm here for it because Yuzu should have received something like 110 anyway. 

- Someone must have pissed off the GBR judge because everyone's scores were lower (but of course, the least affected one was N because he is the American darling and pioneer of the FS world right? And or course, Yuzu screwed up so badly) 

E9KCn54VUAsF0rj?format=jpg&name=large

- No comments about the rest cos we all know how wacked his actual score was.

12 hours ago, Charlène said:

Hi😊! Do you know if a stream link will be available to watch him on Sunday 🙏

Hello Charlène 😊
Unfortunately I don't know either, but I hope so :smiley-angelic001:

:panic:

...that would be really great :happy0065:

Daniel Grassl also mentioned Yuzu 🙏

[NEWS]