General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

As a kid in the southern United States who came of age during the Civil Rights era, “ladies” has connotations that make me cringe. In this country, it is associated with a whole system of fanatical beliefs and practices designed to keep some people in the grip of others.

In other times and places, the word probably does not carry these connotations, but I cannot disentangle it from the historical and cultural context in which I know it. So while I appreciate that others prefer "ladies" for perfectly good and valid reasons, I'm extremely relieved to see "women" replacing it in FS. 

So at what age did you come of age? In France since 1976 the majority is at 18 years old and it is at this age that I was, because before it was at 21 years old and I read that "ladies" does not have the same connotation as at home 

3 minutes ago, Yuzuwinnie said:

So at what age did you come of age? In France since 1976 the majority is at 18 years old and it is at this age that I was, because before it was at 21 years old and I read that "ladies" does not have the same connotation as at home 

I was born in 1952, so I was in my teens during the height of the Civil Rights struggle.

1 hour ago, ZuCritter said:

I was born in 1952, so I was a teenager at the height of the civil rights struggle.

Indeed, so you are older than me, being from 1960 and certainly in 1952, it was the full fight indeed ..... And you write "civic right", it is thus the vote? because at home the women had the right to vote in 1946 (after the war of 39/45) and the men still have this right and in the United States, I heard about the "suffragettes" who  really fought to have this right in the 1920s / 1930s if I don't make mistakes 

2 hours ago, Yuzuwinnie said:

Indeed, so you are older than me, being from 1960 and certainly in 1952, it was the full fight indeed ..... And you write "civic right", it is thus the vote? because at home the women had the right to vote in 1946 (after the war of 39/45) and the men still have this right and in the United States, I heard about the "suffragettes" who  really fought to have this right in the 1920s / 1930s if I don't make mistakes 

You're correct: The suffragettes fought successfully to win the vote for women, which was ratified in 2020. The term "Civil Rights" as I used it refers to the struggle of Black Americans to win a whole range of rights that had been denied them, including the vote. In the South, the term "lady" was part of the coded racial language used to perpetuate the manufactured fear that white women were at risk of "defilement" if Blacks (and Black men in particular) weren't kept subjugated. It was part of the whole system of racial oppression known as "Jim Crow." 

That's why the word makes me queasy, although, as I said, I fully understand that others, who don't have those same associations, may consider it a neutral or a positive term. My comments aren't meant to say that my view is correct, merely to to explain how that word affects someone with my background. It's a fascinating example of how the meaning of a word can't be separated from the cultural context of the person who hears it. 

EDIT: I apologize for having this discussion, which has nothing to do with Yuzu, in this thread. Anyone who cares to should feel free to move it to a more appropriate one. Thanks. 

21 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

It's from LGC's lyrics lol

Lmao, I never really paid attention to the lyrics. :shame:

21 hours ago, gapil27 said:

I find it funny that when you click on the names, their bios come up and shows their stats and stuff. And under Yuzu's the hobbies are listed as:

Hobbies: none

Totally blindsided me, that one. I thought for sure I would see gaming there :grin:

I think it used to list "music", but with the latest update it turned to "none". Well you know how competent ISU is. They make so many mistakes related to info about Yuzu, I lowkey think they do it on purpose.

12 hours ago, DancingFeather said:

There seem to be many different connotations of ladies / women, that's interesting. For me, ladies and gentlemen is just more noble and classic, but I fully agree that women is appropriate when using the term men. As long as there are these categories in FS, the terms might now be men and women - okay.

I always think of Lords and Ladies, like in British nobility.

10 hours ago, Veveco said:

Yuzu is going viral again on tiktok, this time for the flag moment with Keegan at ACI 👀 nearly 2M views... (sb sent me the video unprompted lol)

Meanwhile Seimei will likely reach 20M views tomorrow. The huge boost in views in the past ~10 days is... interesting :confused0066:

That's great! Fanyus make the best of the drought. 

between Heaven and Earth

photo by me

19 hours ago, DancingFeather said:

There seem to be many different connotations of ladies / women, that's interesting. For me, ladies and gentlemen is just more noble and classic, but I fully agree that women is appropriate when using the term men. As long as there are these categories in FS, the terms might now be men and women - okay.

OT:

I want to be very honest. There are true gentlemen sports like snooker, where the players apologize for flukes, admit overlooked fouls or correct the referee to their own disadvantage, risking to lose the frame or even the whole match and the prize money for the sake of fairness.

As long as some skaters, coaches and judges purposely exploit loopholes in the system to win - it's cynical to use the terms "ladies" and "gentlemen" in figure skating. In that moment, when there is a practiced code of honor among the judges, and skaters go asking the technical panel to correct wrong calls, costing them a medal or title, we can talk about a ladies' and gentlemen's sport, but not a single day earlier. Like "Please correct the edge call on my Lutz. I clearly felt that it was inside, not outside." I have my doubts that this will ever happen, but one can hope.

Different topic: I decided to create a new compilation of my 10 12 favorite Yuzu step sequences, uploaded in two threads.

1. My 6 fav SP StSq:

2. My 6 fav FS StSq:

I hope, that you like the sequences too. Which ones are your favorites?  :notamused: