General Yuzuru Chat

As regards CoC 2014, I might be wrong but I do believe Brian has indicated in at least one interview that the decision whether Yuzu should skate or not was in the hands of the Japanese team officials and Yuzu, I.e. it wasn't Brian's choice to make. Also, I doubt anyone realized the extent of Yuzu's injuries at the time, so it wasn't as clear-cut a situation as it looks to us now. 

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

As regards CoC 2014, I might be wrong but I do believe Brian has indicated in at least one interview that the decision whether Yuzu should skate or not was in the hands of the Japanese team officials and Yuzu, I.e. it wasn't Brian's choice to make. Also, I doubt anyone realized the extent of Yuzu's injuries at the time, so it wasn't as clear-cut a situation as it looks to us now. 

Knowing Yuzu, he probably just TOLD JSF that he was going to skate. He made up his mind and no-one was going to stop him. He probably didn't tell them just how much pain he was in. He let them check him for concussion and that was that.

13 minutes ago, Toni said:

True. True. The ballet seems light and graceful, but the dancers are still in pain. Yuzu will suffer a lot from these injuries when he is old. 

By the way, can you do me a favor? When you quote me, the text is not the same as what I said. I think you translate my text into French and then translate it back into English. Please replace your translation with my original English text. I'm only asking because the double translation actually changes the meaning of my words, so it's no longer a quote. I will appreciate it very much. : roll your eyes:

I'm sorry, because since I write in French and I then have it translated into English and I saw, too, that some French words and phrases are poorly translated and I quoted your text in English, but then, I have to go through Le Français again and that would translate your text into French again and I hope you understand what I'm explaining SORRY SO where then, tell me how to do it? 

34 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I thought the official does ask the coach's opinion, and I can be remembering wrong, but I thought I had also read an interview where Brian said the consideration wasn't just physical condition either. Yuzu was absolutely determined to compete, so Brian had considered what it would mean mentally for Yuzu too if he told the official that no, he didn't think his student should compete. The medical staff said he didn't have a concussion, Yuzu said he was fine, Brian asked if he was sure, and then gave his ok.

13 hours ago, Pammi said:

What do you think folks? Another satellite has suggested he might do PW because...well Sochi, but I think WL is more likely as he hasn't skated this publicly since 2014 I think?? Not that I'd mind PW at all, it was pretty hot at SCI - one of the fancam's is brilliant as it makes you feel part of the audience, the screaming was so funny, I smile through the whole of the programme!!

Wow this was one of the most fun to watch fancams I've ever seen!! Thank you so much for sharing!! :heart:

2 hours ago, Yuzuwinnie said:

I'm sorry, because since I write in French and I then have it translated into English and I saw, too, that some French words and phrases are poorly translated and I quoted your text in English, but then, I have to go through Le Français again and that would translate your text into French again and I hope you understand what I'm explaining SORRY SO where then, tell me how to do it? 

I think you can just @ her instead of quoting her to make it easier

9 hours ago, IceWings said:

Does the hotel have to be near the venue to provide the documentation? I haven't looked into it, but maybe all well-known hotels can provide the documentation? I can't believe I'm contemplating going to Russia.... only for Yuzu!

Then there are the comps in Japan. I know tickets will be a bloodbath, but if they reopen borders, do you think there will be a lottery for foreigners?

Plus there's also Beijing Olys, and sorting out the visa situation there and whether or not we'll be able to attend. :14066882:

I think what @barbara meant was to find a hotel near the venue which can provide documentation is a bit hard cos like what she and @Pammi stated, I have also heard accommodation near the venue are quite fully booked. Any hotel can help you with the letter, not necessary must be those near the venue. If anyone planning to go, my suggestion is to first book a hotel with free cancellation policy and then check if they provide letter of invite. I recall one hotel I asked gave me a 3rd party link telling me I can get letter of invite from there since the hotel doesn't provide. 

I definitely wish to go to Beijing Olys but there's words that China will still have quarantine requirement until end of next year. I'm not sure how my boss will feel about me working remotely in hotel for Yuzu (even though he knew I like him :lol:).  And can Yuzu join another comp in Canada after the Olys season? my ETA to Canada applied for last year Montreal WC will expire next year. I really do wish to go visit Canada...

Ok, priority. First wish should be for this pandemic to F off. I am quite tired of all the restriction caused by dear corona.

Could someone confirm for me whether Rostelecom is going to take place at the Iceberg thingy, in Adler, near Sochi? I'm usually good with handling these things - especially having worked for a hotel booking website in the past but not having travelled in over a year has made me horribly rusty and I'm constantly doubting myself :14066882:

I came here to post something else, but here is a gist of how things happened from Brian's point of view based on チーム・ブライアン 新たな旅(Team Brian/New Journey) released in 2018 and an interview aired shortly after CoC:

After the collision, Brian wanted to run to Yuzu and see if he was OK, but he couldn't because there is a rule that bars any coach or staff from getting on the ice during 6-minutes warmups. The organizer didn't interrupt the warmup or send medical staff immediately, so Brian yelled, "He needs medical staff!" "Call the medical staff! Get him a doctor!" again and again. 

After several minutes, the Chinese medical staff finally got on the ice, but to Brian's surprise, they tried to get Yuzu up as soon as they got there. Brian was upset because it is dangerous to move someone when they fell on the ice and hit their head. What they should have done was to ask Yuzu if he was OK first, then see if he could get up by himself and check if he was really OK. So Brian asked the U.S. team for help, and their team doctor came and checked Yuzu's condition.

She examined him mainly by an interview and diagnosed that Yuzu was not going through a concussion and that among all the injuries, the left thigh injury was the most severe. However, the doctor didn't make any suggestion as to whether Yuzu should compete or withdraw, because such a decision should be left up to the skater and their coaching team.

Withdrawal meant no GPF, but Brian thought Yuzu's physical and mental condition was more important. Brian told Yuzu not to strain himself, that there was no need to worry over withdrawal because it was not a big deal, that there was no need to be a hero there. However, Yuzu was determined to compete no matter what. Yuzu's mother was also upset and worried about him, so Yuzu went to talk to her after receiving first-aid treatment.

(I am not sure if there is footage on YouTube, TV Asahi camera also captured Brian trying to persuade Yuzu to reconsider, to prioritize his health, saying, "Only you know (your real condition.) You don't have to be a hero. Your health comes first" during resumed warmup)

By skating through the FS with numerous falls, Yuzu finished 2nd and qualified to GPF. However, Brian could not be relieved until Yuzu went back to Japan to get a thorough check-up and told him that there was no brain damage and that the other injuries would not affect his career as a skater.

Later, ISU discussed how they should respond to such accidents, and Brian suggested that ISU should not leave the decision to continue or withdraw up to the skater or the coaching team. In Yuzu's case, the decision had not been made when he got back on the ice to resume warmup. Before resuming the warmup, Brian told them that Yuzu was not necessarily going to compete even though he took part in the warmup and that Yuzu and his team would make the decision after seeing if it would really be OK. However, once Yuzu came back on the ice, the audience cheered for him loudly and passionately. Brian thought Yuzu would not be able to say, "Actually, I withdraw because my body hurts" after receiving such support. That is why Brian suggested that the ISU should not leave the decision up to the skater and their team. He thought it was difficult for skater and their team to make such a decision after such an accident.

Yuzu's take on this accident and what he went through afterward can be read in Aoi Honoo II. His description regarding the decision here doesn't contradict Brian's so much. According to Yuzu, the doctor also said that he could skate because he didn't have a concussion, but she would not recommend it.

Aoi Honoo II has an English translation by a fan.

https://tsukihoshi14.tumblr.com/post/171947689783/aoi-hono-ii-english-translations

Because of the pandemic, it may be hard to order a book from Japan now, but I hope you read his autobiographies when you have a chance if you haven't read them already, not because you can consult it when you do some fact-check, but because it truly is a good read.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

On Sochi gala, my guess is Notre Dame de Paris (a bit out of the box?):winky: 

Reasons:

It's the first fs he performed in Sochi;

I have been thinking he was meant to perform Notre Dame de Paris on 20wc, but well it got canceled. It seems to be re-choreographed in that Skate Forward video. Better to show if off by this chance then?

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

I came here to post something else, but here is a gist of how things happened from Brian's point of view based on チーム・ブライアン 新たな旅(Team Brian/New Journey) released in 2018 and an interview aired shortly after CoC:

After the collision, Brian wanted to run to Yuzu and see if he was OK, but he couldn't because there is a rule that bars any coach or staff from getting on the ice during 6-minutes warmups. The organizer didn't interrupt the warmup or send medical staff immediately, so Brian yelled, "He needs medical staff!" "Call the medical staff! Get him a doctor!" again and again. 

After several minutes, the Chinese medical staff finally got on the ice, but to Brian's surprise, they tried to get Yuzu up as soon as they got there. Brian was upset because it is dangerous to move someone when they fell on the ice and hit their head. What they should have done was to ask Yuzu if he was OK first, then see if he could get up by himself and check if he was really OK. So Brian asked the U.S. team for help, and their team doctor came and checked Yuzu's condition.

She examined him mainly by an interview and diagnosed that Yuzu was not going through a concussion and that among all the injuries, the left thigh injury was the most severe. However, the doctor didn't make any suggestion as to whether Yuzu should compete or withdraw, because such a decision should be left up to the skater and their coaching team.

Withdrawal meant no GPF, but Brian thought Yuzu's physical and mental condition was more important. Brian told Yuzu not to strain himself, that there was no need to worry over withdrawal because it was not a big deal, that there was no need to be a hero there. However, Yuzu was determined to compete no matter what. Yuzu's mother was also upset and worried about him, so Yuzu went to talk to her after receiving first-aid treatment.

(I am not sure if there is footage on YouTube, TV Asahi camera also captured Brian trying to persuade Yuzu to reconsider, to prioritize his health, saying, "Only you know (your real condition.) You don't have to be a hero. Your health comes first" during resumed warmup)

By skating through the FS with numerous falls, Yuzu finished 2nd and qualified to GPF. However, Brian could not be relieved until Yuzu went back to Japan to get a thorough check-up and told him that there was no brain damage and that the other injuries would not affect his career as a skater.

Later, ISU discussed how they should respond to such accidents, and Brian suggested that ISU should not leave the decision to continue or withdraw up to the skater or the coaching team. In Yuzu's case, the decision had not been made when he got back on the ice to resume warmup. Before resuming the warmup, Brian told them that Yuzu was not necessarily going to compete even though he took part in the warmup and that Yuzu and his team would make the decision after seeing if it would really be OK. However, once Yuzu came back on the ice, the audience cheered for him loudly and passionately. Brian thought Yuzu would not be able to say, "Actually, I withdraw because my body hurts" after receiving such support. That is why Brian suggested that the ISU should not leave the decision up to the skater and their team. He thought it was difficult for skater and their team to make such a decision after such an accident.

Yuzu's take on this accident and what he went through afterward can be read in Aoi Honoo II. His description regarding the decision here doesn't contradict Brian's so much. According to Yuzu, the doctor also said that he could skate because he didn't have a concussion, but she would not recommend it.

Aoi Honoo II has an English translation by a fan.

https://tsukihoshi14.tumblr.com/post/171947689783/aoi-hono-ii-english-translations

Because of the pandemic, it may be hard to order a book from Japan now, but I hope you read his autobiographies when you have a chance if you haven't read them already, not because you can consult it when you do some fact-check, but because it truly is a good read.

Thank you for this! I really like to hear Brian's perspectives and also in general about TCC skaters, so I would have loved to read the book, Team Brian. It seems difficult to get hold of outside of the USA and Japan however! But since I am moving to the USA soon, it is definitely something I look forward to purchasing once I have settled properly there. Does anyone know of English translations for the two Team Brian books too? 

As for Aoi Hono, for those who can read traditional Mandarin, they also do have a version of both books in that (my friends and I managed to buy a copy each). You can search for "蒼之炎"! These two books are now one of my most treasured possessions :heart: